01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

New Years Eve 2021

We’ll be starting tonight with

Before moving onto

And finally a gem to go with sausage & mash with onion gravy!

All the best for the New Year all :clinking_glasses:

17 Likes

Should do the job this evening. Hopefully squash not required :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

13 Likes

I also gave a few vintages of this and would be interested to hear how it goes with the steak pie.

We’ve headed further west for our bolt hole. No clues where. :wink:

Remains of yesterday’s wine before opening the fizz.

17 Likes

Happy New Year to all

15 Likes

Not sure whether to post on this thread or in the Christmas and New Year drinking thread 2021. Most people seem to have swapped to over here…

Back to just the two of us at home, and not so much cooking tonight, as assembly of a fruits de mer, with which we drank Rémy Gresser Riesling Grand Cru Kastelberg 2013.

Just a perfect wine for the food - dry, taut, vertical, citrus, saline and long, with mineral and fruit working together really well. It’s got the structure to pull off its intensity of acidity - there’s maybe a touch of sugar there, but nothing to make it seem anything other than bone dry. Which is what makes it so good to drink with seafood :yum:

I hope that everyone has a good New Year’s Eve, and a more importantly a good 2022. Happy New Year!

24 Likes

Happy New Year all - we won’t miss 2021 that much.

2012 BdB is new to me - very different to other Pol Roger’s. Fine, light, lovely aperitif. My wife and I met in 2012, which means that the next year is going to involve some good champagne.

2014 C-H in a lovely place right now, open two hours then decanted for the last. Worked brilliantly with a tomahawk steak. We got married in 2014, which meant I got points for serving a wine from 12 and 14…

First use of the (Santa-provided) Gabriel Glas. Ooooh, they’re nice.

As @Inbar said, thank you all for being a wonderful and entertaining community through an odd two years.

23 Likes

No cooking for me tonight. It will be the 2 of us plus the 2 boys hopefully sleeping through the night.
I hope 2022 brings health and happiness to all of us!

21 Likes

The last bottle from a vineyard visit many years ago. Happy New Years!

13 Likes

Happy new year! In Hungary we are 55 minutes into the new year. Does not feel much different. After a negative lateral flow test we have the all clear to fly back to the UK tomorrow. We had these bottles today at my parents’.

The white a real curiosity, an old dry Hungarian Riesling from a lesser appellation. Got the nod from my father. The PN is the last of a vertical case I got a few years ago. True to type and a definite rebuy. The sparkler is a vintage Furmint (I think), which I really liked, unfortunately my parents do prefer a bit of added sugar…

19 Likes

Too late for New Year’s eve but this was our starter for 10: Chartogne Taillet Cuvée st Anne

10 Likes

Well they certainly made a mess of all that!
A happy new year from the Milton Keynes Chapter of TWS.

28 Likes

Well I didn’t get around to the La Garricq in the end as I was enjoying the Hermitage altogether far too much. What an extraordinary wine; powerful and full with a lovely rounded mouthfeel, something I’ve usually found quite rare in whites. Moderately dry but with lovely honey and vanilla notes without being cloying. Just lovely drinking!

I should add a thank you to @NicolaR and the SW London group for introducing me to it!

18 Likes

On the first day of 2022 I am seeing white wine recommendations from Mike Franklin! This year already promises to be completely different from any before!

15 Likes

Finished off the last of the Waitrose 2001 Musar, which as others have commented is definitely at the “drink up” phase, much less than it was this time last year. Followed up by a Plakoura Mandilari, Domaine Lyrarakis 2018, which is at the other end of its life. I am very glad I have a case sleeping in Stevenage to drink over the next decade.

A half a Sainsbury’s TTD Blanc de Noirs at Midnight and then straight to bed as I was feeling pretty ropey before I’d split two bottles between two (half the Mandilari is still in the decanter, thankfully!). Today thankfully I mostly feel like I overdid it at the gym (which I did) rather than in the evening.

17 Likes

NYE turned out a little differently than planned.
Eldest tested positive on LFT yesterday morning so our attendance at a relatives wedding duly cancelled and his attendance at his first parent free NYE party also off.
So what do you do when you have no plans?..…

Dominoes for the kids, local Indian takeaway for the adults, and a bottle of ‘house’ fizz
https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/the-societys-champagne-brut-non-vintage

and silly games of course!

Happy New Year to all! :tada::clinking_glasses:

21 Likes

Our NYE gathering (after 2 bottles of fizz) enjoyed what followed especially the wing rib of beef with the claret.

16 Likes

Fantastic plate of seafood, I’d have gone for the clams first, and those oysters look fantastic. Hope 2022 you keep bringing us these pictures.

Cheers !

6 Likes

Thanks! I shall do my best to keep bringing the photos :slight_smile:

We ended up basically eating the clams, oysters and prawns together, and then finishing with the lobster. The oysters were as good as they look - plump and iodé as the French say. Not sure what the English equivalent would be - iodic just sounds wrong. But they tasted of the sea :yum:

7 Likes

It’s all over for another year! Final lineup

17 Likes