01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

New Wave South Africa tutored tasting in Sheffield

chenin-blanc
mossop
beaumont

Really enjoyed last night’s tutored tasting in the grandeur of Cutlers Hall, Sheffield - One of the most enjoyable and informative tasting events I’ve been to.

While Etienne Terblanche couldn’t make it, Jo Locke MW was an excellent stand-in and the smallish audience enjoyed a super evening of very interesting wines and wine chat, courtesy of Jo, Miles Mossop and Sebastian Beaumont, who were hugely entertaining, informative and almost improbably young to be such experienced winemakers.

The Thistle & Weed Chenins were both delicious and you could really tell that the ‘Brandnetel’ was the more serious, ‘linear’ wine, but both were lovely drinks.

My personal favourite was this complex, elegant and nicely restrained Chenin which has just 12.5% alcohol:

The reds were also fantastic, with a tasty Pinotage, a spicy and delicious Mourvedre and the intriguing (and a little young still) Tempranillo-Alicante Bouschet

However, for me the most delicious red was this Bordeaux blend which is everything I would wish from a Claret, but almost never seem to get. It has one of those noses where you are happy to keep sniffing and enjoying without even bothering to drink any!

Really smooth with very well integrated tannins, theoretically one year before it’s ready to drink, so even more impressive.

Finally, the delicious ‘Kika’ sweet botrytised Chenin-Blanc, named after Francesca - the youngest daughter of Miles Mossop and his wife.

This was gorgeous - lovely apricot and orange flavours with enough balancing acidity to keep it refreshing. Reminded me of a mini Trockenbeerenauslese. A half dozen straight into Reserves!
All the wines were superb and I am so glad I made the effort to go, even the two hour return journey and a heavy rain shower in the last ten minutes walk up our street didn’t detract from such a good event. Thanks to all who made it happen #WonderfulEventsTeam

Thanks for sharing your experience and wine notes @VinoVeritas

A two hour return journey in the wet is quite some commitment but I’m really glad to hear the event was worth it for you.

I have shared your post with Jo Locke and Anna Spooner from my team who have both put in a huge amount of work into delivering this week‘s South African events. The number of hours they both put in including many whilst on holidays is a reflection of how much they care about putting on great experiences for our members so hearing that the events are enjoyed is very satisfying.

I have to say though, whilst we’ve been getting some great feedback recently (both positive and constructive), having our own hashtag could well be the highlight so far.