01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: Roam around the Rhône, Thursday 23rd April, 8-9pm

Looks like it’ll be 2015 Exhibition Crozes-Hermitage for me. Everything else I have is either younger or Hermitage, so not quite ready! That’ll leave me with one bottle of the 2015, which I’ll try to hang on to for a couple of years.

8 Likes

That Exhibition is a lovely wine. Not sure about that vintage, but it’s the only Exhibition wine I’ve ever had that really impressed me. Most are good examples of what they are, but not really exciting. i loved the Crozes.

4 Likes

All auction purchases that I have been sitting on for a while…seems as good an opportunity to open as any!

3 Likes

I’ll join you there with the 2015 Exhibition C-H @Bargainbob. I’ve still got 9/12 left, would be good to check back in on it. It was between that and Guigal CDR 2015 but your choice has swayed me!

8 Likes

Sage advice which I’m happy to take. The bottle I tried previously was really good. So good, it was drained all too quickly and although I enjoyed the journey it took me on I’m pretty sure I didn’t reached the final destination.

Lovely bottle by the way, very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts too !

1 Like

We are picking up some wine this week and will then share once purchased! Can’t wait :smile:

1 Like

I’m a little torn here. I have, and drink, very little of what the Rhone has to offer. I like generic CdR, but the only serious appellation that has ever ‘floated my boat’, so to speak, is Cote Rotie (which I’m sure is easy to do :sunglasses: ).

However, right now current stocks only stretch to a case of 2015 Bassenon (bought for ease and affordability of having something with 10% Viognier). I tend to like my wines with age, and most definitely with food, so the question for the wisdom of crowds is - is it just a waste to crack one so early? And if not, how soon do I open, and with what do I serve it?

2 Likes

Agree about the age. Not mad about S Rhone - i generally only like Grenache from Spain (the altitude effect) - and if i didn’t have N Rhone stuff 10 years old I’d probably be skipping this one.

2 Likes

Lovely :yum:

I fear so

2 Likes

I guess I might just have to sit this one out then. :slightly_frowning_face:

However, I take it we’re on the the loin de l 'œil tasting next week, right?

3 Likes

I had to google that! You might be a bit lonely :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

First choice 2011 Chateau Pesquie Prestige - we joined in with the harvest at Pesquie that year and picked some of the Syrah for this vintage (and I got to ride the Viognier harvester, too). This is a very special wine for us.
If it disappoints , we have in reserve a 2018 M. Chapoutier Belleruche Cotes du Rhone. Easy drinking and one of our regular Southern Rhone choices.

6 Likes

I think I need to drink this up, so I shall open and enjoy this super wine before it becomes past it.

7 Likes

Super wine.

Domaine de la Janasse “Terre d’Argile” 2007. Needs drinking so this is a great excuse! Any food-match suggestions welcome as I’ll be going on my weekly trip for food essentials on Wednesday. !

7 Likes

Hi. Hope I’m in the right box to give details of the wine I’ll be opening on Thursday - Famille Perrin Peter Blanche Cairanne 2010.

6 Likes

Well, if you fancy cracking open the Ch ndp Beaucastel in celebration of a Covid night in I’d be interested in how it goes. I’ve got one of a similar age lurking as I tend to sit on keepers, but wonder if my taste are changing as I’m not so keen on a lot of the older ones I’m opening. So, if you rate it maybe I’ll dust mine off another night soon.

2 Likes

That might well be the one then!

RH50091
Half bottle of Côtes-du-Rhone Rouge Guigal 2016.
Am using this tasting to see if I want a case of this. Anyone getting the magnums of this btw?

3 Likes

I had that exact bottle of St. Peray a few weeks ago, honey & nuts smooth as silk.

1 Like