NEW #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: Roam around the Rhône, Thursday 23rd April, 8-9pm

I once lived 5 minutes walk from the office I was renting at the time… but it required walking past the newsagent, and by the time I’d stocked up with essentials such as chocolate, milk, biscuits, it always took at least 15 minutes.

1 Like

I am having a bad day today, so I am out! Enjoy all your roaming!

3 Likes

Although obviously ignore the actual message of the song and stay at home!

Oh no! I hope your day improves quickly, @strawpig.

By the way everyone, @MrLaura will be preparing the Wiki ready for the ‘LIVE’ topic and posting it around 6-6.30ish so we’ll be able to see what everyone’s tasting - do let us know if you haven’t already told us what you’re drinking tonight! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve settled on the 2017 'Grand Classique ’ Crozes-Hermitage from Cave de Tain:

Ordering some Italian from a local restaurant, hoping to help them a little, so although not exactly a classic match, hope they go OK together :crossed_fingers:

Looking forward! :grinning:

4 Likes

Bit short on choice of Rhone wines right now, but I’m going to be sitting here with a bottle of Domaine des Escaravailles ‘Les Sablieres’ 2017 Cotes du Rhone, which is our current favourite everyday red for all occasions.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re having a bad day. My kids weren’t sorry to hear Roam, though, they were bouncing around the kitchen!

2 Likes

I’ve jumped the gun a bit here and opened my TWS Exhibition Crozes-Hermitage 2015 already. Half poured into a half bottle for another day, half in a decanter for this evening. Amazingly powerful smell of blackberries, pepper and violets as I was pouring, bodes well for later. Roll on 8.05!

7 Likes

How does it taste :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve got mine in the fridge for a bit, but planning to decant in a couple of hours. I seem to remember this needing a bit of time to really open up.

2 Likes

:innocent: - I need to work on my surreptitious taste-sneaking game, eyebrows were raised enough just for opening it at 1pm!

5 Likes

You’re only tracking its development :innocent:

1 Like

We visited the vineyard last year and had a very good tasting. The owner showed us the remains of the previous day’s Wine Society buyer tasting. I can only hope that they weren’t driving! Lots of great wines at very good prices. I hope the Society carries some more of their range.

1 Like

Welcome to both @bath_wineman and @Dougg! That’s two very nice looking lists of Rhone wines - I’m sure any one of them would be delicious. I hope you enjoy this evening’s event - can be a bit crazy with so many people, but the IT seems to cope. We’d love to know if you’re planning on having anything delicious to eat with your wine… Enjoy!

1 Like

Surely just a normal, post midday pick-me-up?!

2 Likes

I’m happy because my first Society Lockdown order arrived yesterday: a case of Society Côtes-du-Rhône and a case of Exhibition Crozes-Hermitage 2017.

Perfect timing! :grin: :+1: :yum: :wine_glass:

We’re going to enjoy the Crozes-Hermitage with venison. Yum!

Participation may be delayed due to youngling routines at bedtime! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Wine is here and is now double decanted…

8 Likes

Snap @David_and_Julia - we will also be tasting
Francois Villard - Saint Joseph Mairlant 2013.

We were sent this in error from TWS in 2018. They sent the correct wine a couple of days later (TWS Exhibition Hermitage Blanc 2014 IIRC - one of the best ever) and were happy for us to keep this. Great customer service as always, and we are looking forward to trying our “free” wine tonight!

4 Likes

Glad to see so many of you preparing for tonight’s virtual Rhône tasting :slight_smile: The thread we’ll use for the event tonight is now live so please head over and continue letting us know what you’ll be opening!

I will close this topic now so we can get started on the live thread :slight_smile: