01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: Roam around the Rhône, Thursday 23rd April, 8-9pm

Hello all!

Thank you very much to everyone who attended our Sweet and Fortified (with cheese!) virtual tasting event tonight!

This is a great time to get our next virtual tasting in the diary:

New #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: Roam around the Rhône, Thursday 23rd April, 8-9pm

Like our previous few tastings, we’re asking you to raid your wine rack to see what you’ve already got at home, and join together to taste along live next Thursday.

It doesn’t matter if it’s red Rhône, white Rhône, Northern Rhône, Southern Rhône - anything that you want to open is welcome, as are you!

If you haven’t got any Rhône wine and want to open something else and taste along, that’s fine too. Bring along a bottle and join in anyway - you might find some inspiration on different wines to put on your ‘must try’ list!

Rhône wine guide

If you’re new to Rhône wines and want to swot up before the tasting, have a read of our Ultimate Guide to Rhône Wine

Here’s how to take part:

1. Have a look to see if you have any Rhône wines at home. If you don’t, you can currently buy full cases of an individual wine from our website for delivery, or your nearest indie wine merchant may be able to deliver if our delivery dates before next Thursday are full.
  2. Reply to this topic saying what Rhône you’ve got - and if you’ve got more than one option, feel free to share notes with your fellow members here and get advice about which bottle to open (feel free to open more than one if you like…). You could also ask about decanting or get some serving suggestions/food matches lined up.
  3. Log in to the Community just before 8pm on Thursday 23rd April - there’ll be a topic called ‘LIVE #TWSTaste: Roam around the Rhône’ where we’ll host the live event. We’ll all say which bottles we’re opening/share photos of the bottles, and then we’ll taste along together and compare notes, just like we do for a normal #TWSTaste event.

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

Who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I haven’t got any Rhône wine but I’ll join in anyway

0 voters

We hope you can join us! If you can’t make it, we’re currently planning the following week’s tasting and we’ll let you all know the theme soon :smiley:

2 Likes

Thalabert tasting within a tasting? Or would that upset the dynamic?

1 Like

Could be a plan…

23 April is Saint George’s Day - not Nuits Saint George then?

3 Likes

Might get a bit lost in the noise?

Besides I was thinking of having a white for this one :smiley:

I think you’re right, perhaps another time.

By the time next week I expect to have these ‘eligible’ bottles… which one would you open?

• 2014 Le Clos du Caillou Châteauneuf-du-Pape Domaine du Caillou Les Quartz
  • 2015 Domaine Font de Michelle Châteauneuf-du-Pape
  • 2015 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert
  • 2013 Mathilde et Yves Gangloff Côte-Rôtie La Sereine Noire
  • 2016 Domaine de la Solitude (Lançon Père et Fils) Côtes du Rhône
  • 2012 Clos de Triases, Ventoux
  • 2016 Domaine Rousset Crozes-Hermitage Blanc

0 voters

6 Likes

Didn’t realise at first you could scroll down on the poll box… glad I could change my vote

1 Like

from?.. I am glad, too… I really want to try then Ventoux.

1 Like

Do it! :smile:

Domaine Font de Michelle, Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2011

1 Like

I’ve secured my entry:

Châteauneuf du Pape, Les Cailloux, 2015

…now just need to negotiate a pass on bath and bedtime.

10 Likes

I’m thinking either 2017 ‘Grande Classique’ Crozes Hermitage from Cave de Tain, or 2018 Yves Cuilleron Viognier… See what the food dictates closer to the time :+1:

6 Likes

We have got two reds
2013 Chateauneuf du Pape - Domaine du Vieux Telegraph Famille Brunier (from Costco)
2008 Chateauneuf du Pape - Caves du Fournalet

3 Likes

I’m sorely tempted to go for my Clusel-Roch Cote Rotie, or one of my CNdP, but I have two of these delicious St Josephs that really need drinking up:

So I’m thinking it will be one of them! But… Clos Des Papes '14, Font de Michelle '13, Clusel Roche '09… decisions, decisions…

7 Likes

One of these. What’s left in the fridge / freezer will decide…

…although the little devil whispering in my ear says go large and try both !

9 Likes

I think it’s probably going to be an opportunity to open one of these:

18 Likes

I just did a drool :drooling_face:

11 Likes

I’ve got that very Janasse, would love to hear your thoughts if that’s what gets opened. I think it wants decanting.

For me, I’ve settled on this.

9 Likes

Run out of my favourite Rhone producers, which are mostly “natural” (Gramenon, Herve Souhaut…) Will have to see what i have knocking around from pre 2009 or so.

4 Likes