01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: red and white Burgundy, Thursday 2nd April 8-9pm

Good morning, Community! :smiley:

Well, what a lot of fun we had last night! :wine_glass: If you missed our Rioja tasting, you can catch up here:

You also voted on the next tasting you’d like to see, so let’s get it in the diary:

New #TWSTaste: red and white Burgundy, Thursday 2nd April 8-9pm

Like yesterday’s event, we’re asking you to raid your wine rack to see what you’ve already got at home, and join together to taste along live next Thursday.

It doesn’t matter if it’s the finest names or Burgundy on a budget - all bottles are welcome, as are you.

If you haven’t got any Burgundy and want to open something else and taste along, that’s fine too. Maybe you have chardonnay or pinot noir from another part of the world? Bring one along and we can compare how they differ from examples of this grape from Burgundy!

Here’s how to take part:

1. Have a look to see if you have any Burgundy at home. If you don’t, then while it’s currently not possible to order from us, your nearest indie wine merchant may be able to deliver.
  2. Reply to this topic saying what Burgundy you’ve got - and if you’ve got more than one option, feel free to share notes with your fellow members here and get advice about which bottle to open (feel free to open more than one if you like…). You could also ask about decanting or get some serving suggestions/food matches lined up.
  3. Log in to the Community just before 8pm on Thursday 2nd April - there’ll be a topic called ‘LIVE #TWSTaste: red and white Burgundy’ where we’ll host the live event. We’ll all say which bottles we’re opening/share photos of the bottles, and then we’ll taste along together and compare notes, just like we do for a normal #TWSTaste event.

Who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I haven’t got any Burgundy/pinot or chardonnay from elsewhere, but I’ll come along for the chat

0 voters

I hope you can join us! :smiley: If you can’t make it, we’re currently planning the following week’s tasting to be all about FIZZ! :champagne:

4 Likes

Got one bottle of burgundy. 2013 Devevey Beaune pinot. Not sure it’s quite ready but we’ll find out.

Also. I claim the first reply crown for this thread. You may call me Thread King for the duration.

7 Likes

I might open a 2013 St. Aubin rouge, or a 2017 Pataille Aligote.

Looking forward! :smile:

3 Likes

7 Likes

Hmm decisions decisions. I’ve got two in my rack that could come out.

2014 Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Clos de la Chapelle Domaine du Duc de Magenta

2015 François Raquillet Mercurey 1er Cru Les Veleys

The white really wants looking at, the last bottle was about a year ago. But the red is just so lovely and an interesting bottle I might not be able to resist. Also there’s something about have another red a week on that I think my partner would enjoy.

Can I also just say I’ve already chosen the wine for the following week. We were having friends over for Easter who love a Bit o’ Bubbles and I’d put aside a bottle for that weekend. Basically gonna open the same bottle on the same day with you lot. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve still never quite managed to ‘get’ Burgundy. Pinot Noir in general seems to do little for me. That said I have always considered that I would like to join in on a Burgundy virtual tasting to see if I can be persuaded/converted but I suspect that, fun though it will be, this is probably not the best format for me. One in which we are all tasting the same bottle of Bugundy/Pinot Noir would likely work better. All that said I do actually have two bottles of Burgundy in the cabinet at the moment: Jean-Marc Vincent, Bourgogne Rouge 2015 and Domaine Serrigny, Savigny-lès-Beaune Premier Cru Peuillets 2014. I suspect the latter is a significantly better wine but possibly a little young?

5 Likes

Decisions decisions indeed! Only red burgundy at home at the moment, and think the following are probably on the shortlist, as have been looking for good excuses to open them and after 2 weeks ‘social distancing’ will definitely feel like delving into the good stuff:

1992 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Volnay 1er Cru Santenots-Du-Milieu
2004 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques
2006 Nicolas Potel Charmes-Chambertin
2008 Maison Roche de Bellene Clos de la Roche
2014 Hospices de Beaune Volnay 1er Cru Santenots Cuvée Jéhan de Massol (possibly a bit young, but would be the first of three bottles, and drinking window from reviews is 2018-2028, so might be worth seeing how it is getting on!)

6 Likes

I’ve got two red burgundy currently on the go with Coravin. Will use one or both of them.

Santenay Passetemps, Jean Marc Vincent 2010

and

Pommard, Les Charmots , Aleth Girardin 1996

5 Likes

Ooh, what to choose!

We could even accidentally have tastings within a tasting - comparing different wines of the same producer or vintage or village…

7 Likes

My dad was at our house recently (weeks ago) while I was at work, and helped himself to Serrigny Savigny-lès-Beaune PC Peuillets 2013. After a bit of air (ie when I finally got some after work) it was lovely. I’m certainly no expert but would guess the 2014 is right at the beginning of its window, but may not be the wine to convert you to the charms of PN/burgundy yet. I’m sure that with a decent decant it would be great though, and who knows maybe it would be a damascene moment!

2 Likes

TWS have the drinking window for the '14 as '20 to '23, which, it must be said, is a pretty short window for a £28 wine. I had planned on '21 or '22

I have only 2 bottles of Burgundy in the house, 1 white and 1 red:

I’ve not tried aligote outside of a Kir but this should be nice, as long as no one is offended it’s not chardonnay.

The red, however, is not getting drunk next week (or any time soon)

So unless I can find some suitable alternative on Tuesday when I break out of quarantine it’s Aligote or the highway.

11 Likes

Ooh, Aligote is a great idea! I think @Inbar might be considering an aligote too if I remember rightly?! :smiley:

2 Likes

Two pieces of advice:

1. If you’ve not got the Burgundy bug already, for goodness sake don’t go about acquiring it now.
  2. Open that JM Vincent Bourg Rouge and join us next week!

PS to @Alex88 nice stash :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Can echo the ‘Burgundy bug’ comment. I got it a couple of years ago and have been buying EP as well as picking up odd bottles when I come across them at relatively reasonable prices!

Do like a chance to rummage through the Burgundy shelves in the Eurocave…most of those I listed are from auction or odds and ends I have come across…just seeking suitable opportunities to open them!

3 Likes

That Aligote is an absolutely cracking wine though!

1 Like

I may try an aligote too! I have the Sylvain Pataille that @Brocklehurstj has and a Aligote du Grappin. I also have several cases of Le Grappin and Jane Eyre burgundy that I may or may not crack open.

I am opening one at the weekend to commiserate lack of birthday meal, and two in quick succession seems a little decedent, even in times like this!

3 Likes

I might be joining with Domaine William Fevre Chablis 2014 and/or may Coravin Domaine Drouhin Laroze Latricieres Chambertin GC 2014 or may get another red in from Wimbledon Wine Cellars

6 Likes

Argh, too early, I’ve a 1995 Corton put way for Easter Sunday…will have to search out something else…had the Burg bug but trying to wean myself off it due to escalating prices…South Africa is the current hunting ground for my Pinot fix :star_struck:

7 Likes