01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

NEW #TWSTaste Virtual Wine Tasting: Italy and Argentina, two new reds! Thursday 24th June, 8-9pm

Hello Community :smiley:

We’re very happy to announce our next virtual taste-along for your diaries:

#TWSTaste: Italy and Argentina, two new reds! Thursday 24th June, 8-9pm

We’ll be visiting Italy and Argentina for this virtual tasting - we’ve chosen two new red wines that will be featured in our next 1874 magazine and we can’t wait for this opportunity to try them together!

The red wines we’ll be trying are:

Chianti Classico Riserva, Castello La Leccia Giuliano 2016

Weinert Carrascal Assemblaje Especial Mendoza NV

How do I take part?

If you’d like to join us, here’s what to do:

1. Order one bottle each of the above wines and make sure they’re delivered by Thursday 24th June.
  2. Reply to this topic letting us know if you’re attending - feel free to post a picture of your bottles, we love seeing all your photos!
  3. Open/decant your bottles ready for the event - and if you like, prepare a special meal to serve alongside them.
  4. Log into the Community shortly before 8pm on Thursday 24th June - you’ll find a topic called LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste: Italy and Argentina, two NEW reds! where the event will take place. Feel free to begin chatting to your fellow members on the topic before we start!
  5. We’ll guide you through the tasting from there - it’s all done in written format (you can share photos too!) so don’t be shy to share your thoughts on the wines!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

Who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I’m hoping to join.
  • I can’t make it this time.

0 voters

We are looking forward to trying these new wines together - hoping to see as many of you as possible at this event! :smiley:

4 Likes

Is this the same wine that was offered EP a while ago or a new ‘vintage’?

2 Likes

@szaki1974 Let me ask and find out!

Have just chatted to our EP team, it was offered EP in 2019! It’s new to our 1874 magazine and web range now.

If I click on my previously purchased EP wine it takes me to the live site where I’m able to purchase for £10.95 (landed on the table EP price was £10.18 with no storage) When you factor in storage it equals £10.95/btl.
My suspicion is that it is excess stock not sold via the EP offer and held at TWS warehouses until now.

Based on this and the Tonel 111 Malbec 1994 EP offer, I would say there is no real incentive price-wise to buy these Weinert wines via those EP offers.

3 Likes

I have the magnums… those did not show up.

2 Likes

Yes, I suppose if you bought in larger formats then it is a good way of securing something unlikely to be offered on the main page a year or so later.
Not for me who bought standard 75cl size though.

Well I finished the last of my 75cl bottles at Christmas so I’m delighted to have an opportunity to get some more. As for the chianti, all the 2016s have been so good I’ll be very likely to get some of these too

3 Likes

Me too…

1 Like

Just bumping this topic for anyone else that might like to join this event - there’s still enough time to get the wines delivered :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t change my ‘vote’, but when I get home the two wines should have been delivered so I should be there rather than maybe!

2 Likes

@MikeFranklin Great news!

2 Likes

I will almost certainly give the Chianti some time in decanter but does anyone have a view on whether the Weinert should be decanted?

Okay, I’ve now got another very confusing and rather urgent question for either @Kelly or @laura

So this is the label on the Chianti bottle that has been delivered to me:

Which does not match the label on either Castello La Leccia on the list:

The second one of those is the one identified for the tasting tonight. The first one is actually not due in until 30th Jul and it’s not a reserva and it’s 2018. So I’m pretty sure mine is not that one. But the one it should be has Giuliano printed on the label under the word Reserva (as well as a completely different label design) whereas the one I have has Reserva but does not have Giuliano anywhere else on the labels, front or back. Does everyone else have the same as me, in which case no problem? However, it would be good to know whether this is the same wine that I ordered, but they’ve just dropped the Giuliano name, or is actually a different wine!

Hi @MikeFranklin, I’ll try and check this for you as I’m not sure why the label is different! I’ll get back to you as soon as I can - just to check, did you buy this bottle from us or from the winery?

I got it from TWS and it was delivered a couple of days ago. My order is definitely for the wine at the top of this thread. I expect it is the correct wine and they’ve just dropped the Giuliano name. However it would be good to get confirmation. Member services were left scratching their heads over it. And were going to refund it but I said to wait until we got confirmation. As I say I think it’s probably correct but it would be useful to know if everyone’s bottles have this label! :smiley:

1 Like

@MikeFranklin we have checked with the winery and just heard back - it is the exactly the same wine but with a different label. So sorry for the confusion - it was definitely a head-scratcher!

4 Likes

Okay, that’s what I suspected! :rofl: Thanks for checking!

See you tonight!

1 Like

Ours has the blue label as well.

2 Likes