01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: Champagne and Sparkling Wine, Thursday 9th April 8-9pm

Hello again, Community :smiley:

Thank you so much to everyone who joined our Burgundy virtual tasting tonight, it’s been great fun! If anyone missed it and wanted to catch up, you can have a read of the thread here:

This is a great time to get our next virtual tasting in the diary:

New #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: Champagne and Sparkling Wine, Thursday 9th April 8-9pm

Like tonight’s tasting, we’re asking you to raid your wine rack to see what you’ve already got at home, and join together to taste along live next Thursday.

It doesn’t matter if it’s Champagne, English sparkling, cremant, cava, prosecco or even a sparkling red (!) - all bottles are welcome, as are you.

If you haven’t got any sparkling and want to open something else and taste along, that’s fine too. Bring along what you’re drinking that night and get involved anyway! You might find some inspiration on different sparkling wines to put on your ‘must try’ list!

We’re also extremely excited to let you know that our Champagne buyer Sarah Knowles MW will be joining us, so you’ll be able to ask her any questions you might have about the wines you’re drinking!

A NOTE FROM SARAH:

"These weekly lockdown tastings are picking up steam and there’s something so inherently celebratory about fizz(!) so I hope many of you join us on Thursday to celebrate the arrival of the long weekend and to spend an hour avoiding the news cycle!

I once received very good advice from an MW study friend who made the statement that she always had a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge as she never knew when she’d want to celebrate! This is advice I have now lived by for years, and I am very careful to always have something sparkling next to the milk at all times. Obviously, this has led to celebrating often quite minor things, and consuming more bubbles, not a single bottle of which I regret!

A highly respected colleague of mine, Janet Wynn Evans, also often spoke of her Friday night ritual of champagne fish and chips – a lifestyle I try hard to emulate. So whether you are opening a complex vintage champagne, a joyful prosecco or a best-kept-secret crémant, I hope you share your favourite wines and times to enjoy them with us all, and we can all celebrate together this Thursday."

Sparkling wine and Champagne Guides

Whether you are a certified wine geek or simply here for the fizz, these videos and guides give a good introduction to the various styles, grapes, and production methods associated with sparkling wines the world over:

Our Ultimate Guide To Champagne

How To Buy Sparkling Wines

Weekly Workshop #2: Sparkling Wine

A Glass Half Full With… Sarah Knowles MW (Sparkling Edition!)

Here’s how to take part:

1. Have a look to see if you have any Champagne or sparkling at home. If you don’t, then while it’s currently not possible to order from us, your nearest indie wine merchant may be able to deliver.
  2. Reply to this topic saying what Champagne or sparkling you’ve got - and if you’ve got more than one option, feel free to share notes with your fellow members here and get advice about which bottle to open (feel free to open more than one if you like…). You could also ask about decanting or get some serving suggestions/food matches lined up.
  3. Log in to the Community just before 8pm on Thursday 9th April - there’ll be a topic called ‘LIVE #TWSTaste: Champagne and Sparkling Wine’ where we’ll host the live event. We’ll all say which bottles we’re opening/share photos of the bottles, and then we’ll taste along together and compare notes, just like we do for a normal #TWSTaste event.

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

Who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I haven’t got any Champagne or sparkling wine, but I’ll come along for the chat

0 voters

We hope you can join us! If you can’t make it, we’re currently planning the following week’s tasting and we’ll let you all know the theme tomorrow :smiley:

Not much sparkling at home, so I am deciding between:

2013 Nyetimber Single Vineyard Tillington, and
2002 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut

It will probably be the latter, no point in keeping it any longer.

7 Likes

2009 Nyetimber Rose might make a good comparison

2 Likes

Hambledon of some description, either Classic or Premiere.

4 Likes

@szaki1974 @DJ4Shibs Nyetimber is probably my favourite sparkling wine, I wish I had some in the house! I’ll be very jealous of you next week :joy:

1 Like

Don’t think I’ll participate in this one as don’t want to waste wine, don’t want to commit to getting through bottle, and sparkling the next day never seems to work for me.

So as my contribution, I’ll attempt (and probably fail) to make a Wiki - having requested that there be one.

Vintage Wine User
NV Pauletts Trillians Sparkling Red @mshewen
NV Daniel Du Mont Rilly-La- Montagne 2014 @Leah
NV Camel Valley rose @GWills
NV San Leo Brut Prosecco, Waitrose @JayKay
NV Gimonet Blanc de Blancs Cuis @Winosot
NV Marguet Shaman 13 @Herbster
NV Hambledon classic cuvee @Alasdair
NV Heidsieck Monopole grand cru @Awd1998
NV Jacquesson & Fils Cuvée No. 739 @Alex88
2002 Moet Grand Vintage Brut @Tom_R
2006 Deutz @danchaq
2013 Sugrue Pierre “The Trouble with Dreams” @cormski
2017 Bodegas Ochoa Moscatel sparkling @strawpig
2018 Champagne Boizel Brut Reserve @CroquetChris

Well, the table is there… it may need someone else with more powers to make it a Wiki. @szaki1974 perhaps?

Have fun!

8 Likes

that’s done for you

Sorry, edited it to mention you while you were doing it. Hope it didn’t clash.

1 Like

Current thinking:

2013, Sugrue ‘The Trouble With Dreams’

May change before next Thursday though…

You tried the 2003 Nyetimber Classic Cuvee, right? Worth a punt?

1 Like

Yes, did, was very pleased with it. Wish I had more.

1 Like

I have this too…… not opening however…:rofl:

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ll be opening a Camel Valley Rosé 2017.

3 Likes

There is a Good Friday English sparkling event the day after our tasting, so it would be nice to name an English sparkler for this. Some excellent suggestions already. Maybe I’ll look out something obscure(!). There are some small producers which don’t make enough to get wide distribution.

4 Likes

I might have to do a strawpoll to decide.

4 Likes

I have a 2002 Moët Grand Vintage Brut. Cellar tracker says it’s passed it’s drink by date but we’ll see

One piece of advice from the community please. Which type of glass should I use. A flute or a coupe?

1 Like

Jesus mate. Not going by halves! I was fortunate to have a Salon 1999 a couple years back. Stunning.

Actually, you live close enough…

6 Likes

Yes, my excitement spiked to monstrous heights upon reading that.

I think making a trip out for a half glass of Salon 2002 would quite comfortably fall under essential travel.

7 Likes

Blimey @szaki1974! That sounds amazing. Right I’ ll see your Salon '02 and raise you my Bollinger Vieilles Vignes Francaises :rofl:
Only kidding, my budget can’t stretch to that (it’s on the bucket list tho). I’m bringing a Taittinger Folies de la Marquetterie, which I now hope won’t bring the grade curve down too far :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

BTW…

Deutz 2006 for me

2 Likes