01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste Virtual Wine Tasting: Bordeaux Vertical, Thursday 7th May, just after 8-9pm

EDIT: If you’re looking for the live tasting topic, find us here:

Hello Community!

Thank you very much to everyone who attended our Northern Italy virtual tasting event tonight! There were some wonderful bottles on show and it’s been a great night, as ever!

It’s now time to get our next virtual tasting in the diary:

New #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: Bordeaux Vertical, Thursday 7th May, [just after] 8pm-9pm

Like our previous few tastings, we’re asking you to raid your wine rack to see what you’ve already got at home, and join together to taste along live next Thursday.

Between us, we’ll be trying to taste as many vintages from as many different Bordeaux appellations as possible, in a giant ‘vertical’ tasting!

It doesn’t matter where in Bordeaux the wine is from, or the grape variety - anything that you want to open is welcome, as are you!

If you haven’t got any Bordeaux wine and want to open something else and taste along, that’s fine too. Bring along a bottle and join in anyway - you might find some inspiration for different wines to put on your ‘must try’ list!

Bordeaux Wine Guide

If you’re new to Bordeaux wines and want to swot up before the tasting, have a read of our Ultimate Guide to Bordeaux Wine:

We are also so pleased to announce that our Bordeaux Buyer @SykoWino will be joining us for this event!

A NOTE FROM TIM:
"Bordeaux is a staple chez Sykes. I enjoy drinking everything from The Society’s Claret upwards, and regularly dip into my stash under the house to pick out a bottle. I would say that Claret makes up around half of the wine in my cellar.

When I first started buying Bordeaux professionally, in the mid-1990s, I could afford to buy the occasional case of classed growths. I was even able to buy the odd 6-pack of a First Growth – this was when you could purchase Mouton Rothschild, Haut-Brion etc. for around £40 per bottle en primeur. How times have changed!

Today virtually the only opportunity I get to drink the really top wines is when I’m in Bordeaux on a buying trip. I taste a huge amount of Bordeaux every year as part of my job, but drinking (as opposed to tasting) is what wine enjoyment is all about, and there is nothing better than sitting down with friends to a great bottle of Claret at the table."

You might also like to take a look at our Armchair Travels: Bordeaux’s New Grape Varieties written by Tim Sykes.

Here’s how to take part:

1. Have a look to see if you have any wines from Bordeaux at home. If you don’t, you can currently buy full cases of an individual wine from our website for delivery, or your nearest indie wine merchant may be able to deliver if our delivery dates before next Thursday are full.
  2. Reply to this topic saying what Bordeaux wine you’ve got, and which vintage - and if you’ve got more than one option, feel free to share notes with your fellow members here and get advice about which bottle to open (feel free to open more than one if you like…). You could also ask about decanting or get some serving suggestions/food matches lined up.
  3. Log in to the Community just before 8pm on Thursday 7th May - there’ll be a topic called ‘LIVE #TWSTaste: Bordeaux Vertical’ where we’ll host the live event. We’ll all say which bottles we’re opening/share photos of the bottles, and then we’ll taste along together and compare notes, just like we do for a normal #TWSTaste event.

Don’t worry - we always start the event properly a few minutes after 8pm so we can all join in with #clapforourcarers, if you’d like to participate.

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

Who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I haven’t got any Bordeaux wine, but I’ll join anyway.

0 voters

We hope you can join us! If you can’t make it, we’re currently planning the following week’s tasting and we’ll let you all know the theme soon :smiley:

2 Likes

My last Bordeaux tasting :slight_smile:

21 Likes

I’ll be rolling the dice on a 2010 Ch Puygueraud (Côtes de Francs). There seems to be major bottle variation, and it gets almost universally panned on cellar tracker. I’ve had one good bottle, one corked. Fingers crossed! See you all there.

7 Likes

I really liked the one I had a couple of years back, although it tasted way too young. Surprised at all the bad reviews.

1 Like

Sorry, you hit my Achilles heel… really don’t think i have any Bordeaux… but will have a root, there may well be something lurking all neglected in a dark corner…

1 Like

I get universally panned on Cellartracker. Don’t worry about it, if you like it you like it :grinning:

4 Likes

I think this should just about be entering its drinking window by next Thursday evening:

13 Likes

Excited, lots to choose from. Thinking cap now officially on.:face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I think it must be an ‘82. Toss up between Cos D’Estournel, Montrose or GPL. Or perhaps, I’ll go mad and open Palmer ‘83. I really do believe Margaux wines were better in ‘83 than ‘82…

Any thoughts welcome…

7 Likes

Certainly. I’m prepared to pay the P&P when you send the samples. Its the least I can do.

4 Likes

It is a simple choice from one this week for me.

Got it EP, maybe young, but 15s have been approachable young.

11 Likes

Think I have a 69 Beychevelle that needed a half decent excuse to open, and I think this will probably be it! Might Coravin ahead of time to check it, as have plenty of alternatives if it’s past it!

11 Likes

A group of us did a blind tasting on TWS vertical Bordeaux case. We tried to guess the vintage based on TWS tasting notes. We compiled the results and got one vintage correct out of the five. We blamed the tasting notes… It would probably have been easier with more years between each vintage. Great fun, though.

14 Likes

This was such a lovely case! We tasted the bottles over a period, though - and had the last bottle (2005) last week. Did you have a favourite vintage? Ours were 2010 and 2005.

5 Likes

10 Likes

OK I’ve got three bottles handy that could fit the bill. I respectfully submit a non-binding pole to the Community.

• 2005 L’Envers Du Decor (last of a La*thw**tes own label St Emilion GC bought in the dark ages)
  • 2011 La Petite Eglise (bottle 3/12 bought EP)
  • 2014 Château La Tour-Martillac BLANC (first of two that came in an EP mixed case)

0 voters

4 Likes

Anyone got any intel on 2005 Ch Puygueraud? Case from TWS stores arriving week after next - sadly too late for Thursday.

1 Like

I’m new to this Virtual Tasting. Have a few options with some years in bottle but undecided among:
1996 Batailley (my last bottle and brilliant - 2000 won’t get here in time)
1999 Leoville-las-Cases (nominally past drink by date but what does TWS know :wink:)
2000 d’Angludet
2001 Rauzan Segla (as long as TWS courier turns up on Weds !)

Thoughts on a postcard - well reply anyway if you want to influence me

9 Likes

Welcome to the community @nomimasu - that’s certainly an interesting list which I’m sure you’ll get some useful answers on. I am no way an expert on Claret, but my suggestion would be the 1999 Leoville-las-cases, so that we can know whether it’s still Ok.

Hope you enjoy Thursday’s tasting and the many different wines that will be opened - rarely any duplicates, so I’m sure your views will be very welcome.

5 Likes

I was proposing to open a Hortevie St Julien 2012, but am open to correction.

I also have some Tour St Bonnet Medoc 2014, a couple of Chateau Charmail Haut-Medoc 2012, a Baron de Brane Margaux 2014 (mostly merlot, surprisingly to me), and a Chateau Lamoth Guignard Sauternes 2013; and am keeping a Ch. Dutruch Grand Poujeaux '09 (a lovely vintage when younger, so hoping to try it as late as possible in its drink window), and some left-bank 2012s. No right-bank clarets or dry white Bordeaux, alas.

5 Likes