01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste Virtual Wine Tasting: Backing Our Best Growers 2020, Thursday 24th September, 8-9pm

Hello Community!

It’s time to get our next Virtual Tasting in your diaries:

#TWSTaste Backing Our Best Growers: Thursday 24th September, 8-9pm

A note from our Director of Wine, Pierre Mansour
“This year’s extraordinary circumstances have brought extraordinary challenges to growers across the wine world. Many were left with stock languishing in storage as the crisis put an immediate stop to cellar-door sales and shut restaurants, hotels and bars.The growers who felt the effects most acutely were, and are, small-to-medium sized producers. In other words, many of our suppliers.We have always tried to look after our suppliers and pride ourselves on going the extra mile where we can. As the crisis unfolded, our buyers got in touch with our best, and best-loved, growers with a simple question: ‘what can we do to help?’ The result is this extensive selection of superb wines from growers who over the years have consistently delivered delicious wines and gained a strong following. Some include special deals, some are new wines, but each is delicious and has its own story to tell. And for every supplier-supported deal, including the mixed cases, we’ve stripped our margins back even further to offer the best price we can collectively muster.”

As part of our Backing Our Best Growers offer, we thought this would be a good opportunity to try two specific wines from some of our growers who are featured!

The wines we’ll be trying are:

Pedroncelli Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2017

“The Pedroncellis have been making wine since 1927 from their vineyards in Sonoma County. The philosophy here is traditional with low intervention in the winery. At the time of writing, harvest 2020 is putting pressure on winery space so to move stock the family have supported this excellent saving on their wines for members.” Sarah Knowles MW

Weinert Cabernet Sauvignon 2008

“Weinert wines are noticeable for being aged from two to five years, and sometimes longer, in old foudres in a deep, cool, granite cellar. Over time the brash fruit softens, mellows and develops the tertiary aromas of leather, tobacco and cedar. The Society gets a good price, with no room for a further discount, shipping directly and they bottle specially with Diam corks for us.” Toby Morrhall

You can choose to buy these wines individually or as part of our Backing Our Growers: Fine Reds Case:

How do I take part?

If you’d like to join us, here’s what to do:

1. Order one bottle each of the above wines and make sure they’re delivered by Thursday 24th September.
  2. Reply to this topic once you have your wines ready - feel free to post a picture of your bottle, we love seeing all your photos!
  3. Chill or decant your bottles ready for the event
  4. Log into the Community shortly before 8pm on Thursday 24th September - you’ll find a topic called LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Backing Our Best Growers where the event will take place. Feel free to begin chatting to your fellow members on the topic before we start!
  5. We’ll guide you through the tasting from there - it’s all done in written format (you can share photos too!) so don’t be shy to share your thoughts on the wines!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

So who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I’m hoping to join.
  • I can’t make it this time.

0 voters

Looking forward to seeing as many of you here as possible! :smiley:

Bad timing for me as I have to attend the AGM of a community company of which I’m a volunteer director :frowning: Would much rather be doing this!

However I do rather like the idea that Pierre Mansour might be a wine:

A note from our Director or Wine, Pierre Mansour

6 Likes

He needs to make up his mind. Indecisiveness is a terrible affliction. What’s it to be @PierreM? Wine or Director (and if the former, which wine would it be)?

6 Likes

Whoops! Have amended, although your comments did make me laugh @Brocklehurstj & @MikeFranklin :joy:

1 Like

Just taken delivery… looking forward to it. :grinning:

4 Likes

I’ll miss this one, but was just wondering if any future events / schemes are already scheduled? @laura @Kelly

1 Like

Hello! Yes indeed - we’re just finalising the wines/themes etc but it should be Thursday 8th (a ‘bring a bottle’ type event) and Thursday 22nd October (where we’ll pick two specific wines to taste together - probably from our Fine Wine Champs!), if that helps! :smiley:

4 Likes

Haven’t joined one of these in a while but will be definitely joining this one given Cab Sauvignon is my favourite grape variety and given I can just stick these two onto a large order I will be making shortly for the uni wine society I run

4 Likes

Very excited. Been out of the loop but glad to have spotted this. My favourites.

2 Likes

The topic for tonight’s TWSTaste is now live!

https://community.thewinesociety.com/t/live-from-8pm-twstaste-backing-our-best-growers-thursday-24th-september-8-9pm/9510/3

Please feel free head over to this thread before the event, and I’ll close this topic to avoid any confusion.

See you tonight :wine_glass:

1 Like