01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste Virtual Wine Tasting: Aromatic Whites, Thursday 14th May, just after 8-9pm

Hello all!

Thank you very much to everyone who attended our Bordeaux Vertical virtual tasting event tonight! There were some exceptional vintages on show and, as usual, it’s been a fantastic night!

It’s now time to get our next virtual tasting in the diary:

New #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: Aromatic Whites, Thursday 14th May, [just after] 8pm-9pm

Like our previous few tastings, we’re asking you to raid your wine rack to see what you’ve already got at home, and join together to taste along live next Thursday.

Between us, we’ll be trying to taste as many different aromatic white grape varieties as possible!

It doesn’t matter if it’s a viognier from California, an Austrian riesling or a sauvignon blanc from The Loire - anything that you want to open is welcome, as are you!

If you haven’t got any aromatic whites and want to open something else and taste along, that’s fine too. Bring along a bottle and join in anyway - you might find some inspiration for different wines to put on your ‘must try’ list!

Here’s how to take part:

1. Have a look to see if you have any aromatic white wines at home. If you don’t, you can currently buy full cases of an individual wine from our website for delivery, or your nearest indie wine merchant may be able to deliver if our delivery dates before next Thursday are full.
  2. Reply to this topic saying what aromatic white wine you’ve got - and if you’ve got more than one option, do share notes with your fellow members here and get advice about which bottle to open (feel free to open more than one if you like…). You could also get some serving suggestions/food matches lined up.
  3. Log in to the Community just before 8pm on Thursday 14th May - there’ll be a topic called ‘LIVE #TWSTaste: Aromatic Whites’ where we’ll host the live event. We’ll all say which bottles we’re opening/share photos of the bottles, and then we’ll taste along together and compare notes, just like we do for a normal #TWSTaste event.

Don’t worry - we always start the event properly a few minutes after 8pm so we can all join in with #clapforourcarers, if you’d like to participate.

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

Who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I haven’t got any aromatic whites, but I’ll join in anyway.

0 voters

We hope you can join us! If you can’t make it, we’re currently planning the following week’s tasting and we’ll let you all know the theme soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a bit of a difficult one if we’re not going to go round opening all our whites to smell them first!

It seems there are a few obviously aromatic grapes (I’m sure moschofilero will be at the top of everyone’s mind, but also viognier, gewurztraminer, muscat), but for a lot of 'em they seem to be aromatic or not depending on the winemaking and the climate, so unless it’s a wine we’re familiar with already…

I don’t know if it would be more fun to have some parameters, or see how everyone interprets it.

Those would count I’m sure. But also sauvignon blanc, grenache gris, picpoul blanc, the mansengs, riesling… Depending on how it’s made, chenin blanc and pinot gris also. Though not most pinot grigio!

I’m pretty sure it will be left up to us though.

1 Like

I’ll try my Koyle Costa Cuarzo Sauv Blanc 2018.

1 Like

I should really remember all this from WSET - but I’ll confess, I had major issues with some of their very narrow definitions of wines (they can be wildly different in the same appellation, depending on the producer) - but is Assyrtiko considered aromatic enough?

I might default to Riesling and save the Scheurebe for the weird wines tasting.

I’ll be there with my 2018 Jim Barry Riesling The Lodge

Tons of aromatic stuff beyond the usual subjects. May crack a Sabro from La Palma… or a malagousia… or a high altitude moscatel from Andalucía… or a malvasia from somewhere :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Do it, pluck something from obscurity for us :slight_smile:

Mine will be a Riesling of some description

2 Likes

I’ll vote for that!

I suppose the other thing to say is that this is a category that tends to divide opinions. You tend to find more people saying they don’t like XYZ when it’s a wine made from an aromatic grape. Just a personal taste thing really.

2 Likes

See, rightly or wrongly for this topic I’d go with a roussanne or marsanne?? Both of which I love. However, unearthed an English wine - which have to say I don’t love - sorry to those of you who do. A Chapel Down. Calls itself aromatic - green apples (?), galia melon and elderflower - but then it’s named Flint Dry. I’m confused. Will let you know how it goes on Thursday, although I’ll probably be using my usual tactic of chilling it within an inch of its life so may not be the best of report backs. And happy to be put right on this by anyone who knows and loves English wines.

4 Likes

Just bought a Tesco Finest Picpoul de Pinet from across the road, 2019 I think.

It’ll do :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

I just found this, which I’d forgotten I had. It looks like a good shout for tomorrow. Great price (for 2017 these days, rather than 2015) if it’s tasty.

5 Likes

It’s a bit quiet this week, isn’t it?

I thought I might try this one this week -

Sorry - it’s a bit difficult to read the label. It’s a 2001 “Vitatge Vielh de Lapeyre” Jurancon Sec.

I try to put away the occasional bottle of wines drunk young, to see if some ageing offers any benefits, and this is one. I’ll have a replacement on standby. But hopefully this should be OK - it’s made from a patch of ancient vines.

9 Likes

I’ll be interested to read how that is. It’s a type of wine I know very little about.

1 Like

The next door neighbours of Lapeyre, Camin Larredya, reckon their dry whites will comfortably do 20 years.

I know the two properties share some vineyard sites, though I don’t think the Vitatge Vielh is one, but ISTR sometime in the distant past (or 2000’s anyway) some kind of tie-in between the two (they were certainly marketed together), I think based on Jean-Marc Grussaute’s building up his domaine almost from scratch and part-time. In other words, I think theres quite a bit of cross-pollination. I think.

3 Likes

Quiet indeed. Probably not surprising, when seen in the light of the Top Varieties In Your Cellar thread - a lot more Bordeaux, Rhône and Burgundy, and indeed red wine in general knocking around people’s cellars than aromatic whites.

My cellar being rather the reverse, I’m going for something plush.

Should be good for drinking all by itself, I reckon…

13 Likes

That’s interesting - I wasn’t aware of that background. But it was your earlier post on Jurancons which prompted me to dig it out in the first place. So many thanks for reminding me!

3 Likes