Thank you for your brilliant input into our recent poll for virtual tasting themes! In case you hadn’t seen it yet, we’re planning on veering away from our usual format where we tell you two specific wines to order (while deliveries are suspended), and having more laid-back events where we all open whatever we have to hand on a given theme.
One of the most popular choices was Rioja, so we’re encouraging everyone to have a rummage in the wine rack and see if you’ve got any suitable bottles to join us in a virtual taste-along this Thursday.
#TWSTaste: Rioja ‘vertical’, Thursday 26th March 8-9pm
@Lincoln came up with a great idea - why don’t we all see what Rioja we have at home, and between us see how many vintages we can all taste at once? A sort of makeshift vertical tasting!
Some of you have already raided the wine racks, and it looks like between you, there’s vintages dating back to the 1970s!
It doesn’t matter if you don’t have any more mature Rioja - all vintages are welcome - and it also doesn’t matter if it’s crianza, reserva, gran reserva… anything is fine!
Here’s how to take part:
- Have a look to see if you have any Rioja at home. If you don’t, then while it’s currently not possible to order from us, your nearest indie wine merchant may be able to deliver.
- Reply to this topic saying what Rioja you’ve got - and if you’ve got more than one option, feel free to share notes with your fellow members here and get advice about which bottle to open (feel free to open more than one if you like…). You could also ask about decanting or get some serving suggestions/food matches lined up.
- Log in to the Community just before 8pm this Thursday 26th March - there’ll be a topic called ‘LIVE #TWSTaste: Rioja Vintages’ where we’ll host the live event. We’ll all say which bottles we’re opening/share photos of the bottles, and then we’ll taste along together and compare notes, just like we do for a normal #TWSTaste event.
Who’s joining us?
- I’m ready to Rioja-and-roll!
- I haven’t got any Rioja, but I’ll join for the chat
- This one’s not for me
I’ll start: we’ve got a bottle of 2001 Exhibition Rioja Reserva (made by La Rioja Alta, I believe!) which we’ve been looking for an excuse to open…