01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste: the 'past it' bottle experiment, Thurs 25th June, 8-9pm

1979 J. Moreau et Fils Chalbis Premier Cru Vaillons is now in the fridge.

Difficult to say through the green bottle, but it does look a little bit like wee in there. At least that’s a pretty low bar for it to clear!

8 Likes

I’m debating going big and also putting my 1980 Barolo upright to settle. It was arguably the worst year ever (as with most places!) for Barolo apparently and I fully expect it to be brown water by now, but it’s my birth year, so I keep trying!

8 Likes

Moldovan Pinot Noir 2009,

This bottle was a present from a visiting scientist a few years ago. “Interesting” label! We’ve been looking for a good reason to risk actually trying the wine and this is probably the time and place…

8 Likes

You should risk it! “Great Wall” seems to cover a multitude of sins and the greatest of which (in wine) is quality control. We’ve had some (also while on a project in China a few years ago) which were really good but it is hard to tell just by the label.

2 Likes

You may be in luck, I had a magnum of VC NV at the weekend that had been disgorged in 1996. Obviously fully mature but rather delicious in a nutty, complex way. Still plenty of fizz too.

3 Likes

Unfortunately most of the potential ‘past-it’s’ are wines that I have been opening for previous TWS-tastes, leaving the only potential candidate a bottle of 96 Delas Hermitage Bessards although not sure if by 8pm this evening when the flat is nice and toasty I will be feeling like a refreshing glass of Hermitage…

5 Likes

I’m going to have another look, but I’m pretty sure I don’t have anything that might be labelled as ‘Past it’.

Not sure if that reflects more on the youth of my cellar or my rate of drinking…

3 Likes

Yeah, same here.

I’d love to have something like a 1968 Vinho Verde to bring to this, but I think the best I can do is a 2009 Ksara, which is probably fine but perhaps slowly on the way out, as the other five bottles never really shouted vin de garde at me anyway…

3 Likes

I’ve been searching for should be past it types, but to some extent having sorted the wines I have at home at the beginning of lockdown I’ve already been drinking them. I think I will open a Raimat xarel-lo/chardonnay 2011 - I don’t actually think it will be past it, but it’s a relatively cheap white at 9 years old, so I suspect it’s at least well past it’s intended drinking.

1 Like

Despite its name, Faustino Rivero Ulecia (barrel aged) Bobal : Tempranillo, this barely fits the description ‘past it’. However, I rather suspect that this young 2017 may well be ‘past it’
On opening later, we shall see!

3 Likes

I love old wine, so ‘past-it’ is very much in the eye of the beholder, as I don’t consider anything in my cellar in such a way :wink:

And, as others have said, it’s absolutely cracking the flags here, so age-worthy reds aren’t exactly at the top of agenda. But in the spirit of things, we’ll have a wine that ‘never was’ (sorry Ch. St Eulalie, but your Rose is, in every sense, a pale imitation of your reds :smiley:) and make these with it…

2 Likes

Don’t really have any past it wines in the cellar, think that’s maybe cause I keep a good eye on what’s starting to get past it normally and drink there and then. Have a few bottles left of 2010 Cote de Nuits Pinot Noir which unfortunately has moved twice so could kind of be classed as past it as there is a bit of leakage on the cork but the wine itself is fine and its a bit warm for red so gonna have a class of Vega Del Cega Rossado Rose wine from Valdepenas which kind of of suits the 33c weather

4 Likes

I haven’t been in this game long enough to have any really old wines so I shall probably just pop in with a glass of Guigal CdR and watch for the wailing and the tearing of hair and the gnashing of teeth :rofl: :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

Gran Reserva Rioja 2009 best can do and think it will be ok. Not yet dragging out 1999 CdP Beaucastel which is oldest I’ve got from memory, but feel the need to at some point soon. Unlike @Tannatastic I’m not enjoying them late so much nowadays.

2 Likes

I like Beaucastel, but not when I’m working in a sauna. Having said that, of course it depends a bit which one, but 2009 gran reserva might be on my Too Young tasting list.

Definitely a spectator sport!

2 Likes

Not sure if I’m able to join but in case I have a 1990 beaucastel Blanc in the fridge. Couple of others in reserve as it most likely s**t.

6 Likes

The garage has just passed 23 degrees, which still makes it the coolest room in the house by far.

A couple more months of this and I’ll have some more ‘past it’ wines for future virtual tastings :grimacing:

7 Likes

The topic for tonight’s tasting is now live!

Looking forward to seeing you all tonight! Please head over to the topic and share any bottle photos!

I’ll close this topic now :slight_smile: