01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste: the 'past it' bottle experiment, Thurs 25th June, 8-9pm

Hello Community!

Thank you very much to everyone who attended our Drink Pink! Rosé virtual tasting event tonight!

It’s now time to get our next virtual tasting in the diary:

New #TWSTaste virtual wine tasting: the ‘past it’ bottle experiment, Thursday 25th June, 8pm-9pm

Like some of our previous tastings, we’re asking you to raid your wine rack to see what you’ve already got at home, and join together to taste along live next Thursday.

The clue is in the name - we’ll be trying wines which are past their recommended drink dates. We’ll be looking to see whether the wines really are past their best, or whether we’ll be pleasantly surprised!

This is an opportunity to try those wines that might otherwise go down the sink - who knows what discoveries we’ll make! Anything that you want to try is welcome, as are you!

If you haven’t got any wines that you think are past their best and want to open something else and taste along, that’s fine too. Bring along a bottle and join in anyway - you might feel very pleased in comparison by the end of the evening!

To drink, or not to drink…

If you’re wondering whether to pull the cork or not, have a read of our Fine Wine Manager’s guide on the meaning of drinking windows:

Here’s how to take part:

1. Have a look to see if you have any wines that are past their best at home.
  2. Reply to this topic saying what wine you’ve got - and if you’ve got more than one option, do share notes with your fellow members here and get advice about which bottle to open (feel free to open more than one if you like…).
  3. Log in to the Community just before 8pm on Thursday 25th June - there’ll be a topic called ‘LIVE #TWSTaste: the ‘past it’ bottle experiment’ where we’ll host the live event. We’ll all say which bottles we’re opening/share photos of the bottles, and then we’ll taste along together and compare notes, just like we do for a normal #TWSTaste event.

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

Who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I don’t have any wines past their best, but I’ll join anyway.

0 voters

We’re very excited about this tasting and we hope you can join us!

2 Likes

YAYAYAYYAY!

1979 Chablis salvaged from the winerack of a late great aunt here we come! I’m not sure I should be this excited about something that’s almost certainly going to be revolting!

10 Likes

Yes, hurrah! An opportunity to raid my splendid stock of “almost certainly knackered” wines. But you never know…

9 Likes

Oh nice. I have a 2002 Sandalyn Wildreness Estate Shiraz that we have dragged around the world. It’s definitely knackered. Or if it isn’t it makes a mockery of all the wine storange tenets.

BUT …

… weather forecast showing 27 degrees in Norfolk next Thursday! Therefore, might try a 2001 Weingut Johann Peter Reinert Kanzemer Altenberg Riesling Spätlese that came in an “auction random box”. :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

9 Likes

I have a bottle of Veuve Clicquot NV Champagne that was left to me by a friend who moved back to Singapore in 2013 I think. No clue how long he had it. Since then it rested in my office locker until I brought it home sometime in 2019. Could be bad… could be good…

10 Likes

I brought two bottles of ‘Great Wall’ Red, whilst working a project in China 2016. I purchased the most expensive native red I could find, hoping it might be decent (around £14 uk a bottle). Sadly the first bottle was bloody awful, badly corked & undrinkable, a shame considering the distance it travelled. It’s unopened twin still sits on the wine rack in its nice carton. Dare I risk it…

10 Likes

Only if we’re allowed to watch :open_mouth:

3 Likes

1979 J. Moreau et Fils Chalbis Premier Cru Vaillons is now in the fridge.

Difficult to say through the green bottle, but it does look a little bit like wee in there. At least that’s a pretty low bar for it to clear!

8 Likes

I’m debating going big and also putting my 1980 Barolo upright to settle. It was arguably the worst year ever (as with most places!) for Barolo apparently and I fully expect it to be brown water by now, but it’s my birth year, so I keep trying!

8 Likes

Moldovan Pinot Noir 2009,

This bottle was a present from a visiting scientist a few years ago. “Interesting” label! We’ve been looking for a good reason to risk actually trying the wine and this is probably the time and place…

8 Likes

You should risk it! “Great Wall” seems to cover a multitude of sins and the greatest of which (in wine) is quality control. We’ve had some (also while on a project in China a few years ago) which were really good but it is hard to tell just by the label.

2 Likes

You may be in luck, I had a magnum of VC NV at the weekend that had been disgorged in 1996. Obviously fully mature but rather delicious in a nutty, complex way. Still plenty of fizz too.

3 Likes

Unfortunately most of the potential ‘past-it’s’ are wines that I have been opening for previous TWS-tastes, leaving the only potential candidate a bottle of 96 Delas Hermitage Bessards although not sure if by 8pm this evening when the flat is nice and toasty I will be feeling like a refreshing glass of Hermitage…

5 Likes

I’m going to have another look, but I’m pretty sure I don’t have anything that might be labelled as ‘Past it’.

Not sure if that reflects more on the youth of my cellar or my rate of drinking…

3 Likes

Yeah, same here.

I’d love to have something like a 1968 Vinho Verde to bring to this, but I think the best I can do is a 2009 Ksara, which is probably fine but perhaps slowly on the way out, as the other five bottles never really shouted vin de garde at me anyway…

3 Likes

I’ve been searching for should be past it types, but to some extent having sorted the wines I have at home at the beginning of lockdown I’ve already been drinking them. I think I will open a Raimat xarel-lo/chardonnay 2011 - I don’t actually think it will be past it, but it’s a relatively cheap white at 9 years old, so I suspect it’s at least well past it’s intended drinking.

1 Like

Despite its name, Faustino Rivero Ulecia (barrel aged) Bobal : Tempranillo, this barely fits the description ‘past it’. However, I rather suspect that this young 2017 may well be ‘past it’
On opening later, we shall see!

3 Likes

I love old wine, so ‘past-it’ is very much in the eye of the beholder, as I don’t consider anything in my cellar in such a way :wink:

And, as others have said, it’s absolutely cracking the flags here, so age-worthy reds aren’t exactly at the top of agenda. But in the spirit of things, we’ll have a wine that ‘never was’ (sorry Ch. St Eulalie, but your Rose is, in every sense, a pale imitation of your reds :smiley:) and make these with it…

2 Likes