01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste: Fine Wine Champs, Thurs 22nd October, 8pm

Happy Friday, everyone :smiley:

Thanks to everyone who voted in our poll, we’re now able to announce the wines for our next virtual taste-along!

#TWSTaste Fine Wine Champs: Thursday 22nd October, 8-9pm

You’ll all probably have seen the Wine Champions 2020 offer we did back in the summer (our 20th anniversary of our annual blind-tasting competition - and it broke all sales records!) - and now it’s the Fine Wine Champions’ turn in the spotlight.

We’ve picked two absolute corkers from this year’s winners.

The wines we’ll be trying are:

Domaine de Perdiguier Cuvée d’En Auger, Vin de Pays des Coteaux d’Ensérune 2009

‘How much?’ The question was asked twice upon this wine being revealed:
firstly in reference to the price (its outstanding value), and then regarding
how much stock we had managed to secure! A beautifully mature
Languedoc blend of Bordeaux grapes offering warmth, class and charm.

Olivier Leflaive, Bourgogne Oncle Vincent 2017

One of the stars of 2020’s tastings in any category: a knockout-value white Burgundy and a fitting tribute to the late and legendary winemaker ‘Oncle’ Vincent Leflaive. Everyone’s pens seemed to move a little faster when tasting this, such is its exciting combination of floral finesse and barrelfermented structure. A great success.

How do I take part?

If you’d like to join us, here’s what to do:

1. Order one bottle each of the above wines and make sure they’re delivered by Thursday 22nd October.
  2. Reply to this topic letting us know if you’re attending - feel free to post a picture of your bottle, we love seeing all your photos!
  3. Chill or decant your bottles ready for the event - and if you like, prepare a special meal to serve alongside them.
  4. Log into the Community shortly before 8pm on Thursday 22nd October - you’ll find a topic called LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Fine Wine Champs where the event will take place. Feel free to begin chatting to your fellow members on the topic before we start!
  5. We’ll guide you through the tasting from there - it’s all done in written format (you can share photos too!) so don’t be shy to share your thoughts on the wines!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

So who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I’m hoping to join.
  • I can’t make it this time.

0 voters

Looking forward to seeing as many of you here as possible! :smiley:

In the mean time, why not take part in the Fine Wine Champs chat?

1 Like

Order completed, arriving on the 19th :+1::grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve ordered mine - hopefully we’ll be able to join in the fun :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hooray! Looking forward to tasting along with you. The Perdiguier caught my eye as soon as I saw it…

Had to amend another order to get these in so hoping that goes through and they’ll arrive in time.

2 Likes

Lovely looking wines. Have ordered and should be arriving on the 20th.

4 Likes

We’ve just made our order and are looking forward to joining our first event!

7 Likes

Fantastic news! Welcome @OliverandEmma - I look forward to tasting along with you. :smiley:

Society Van coming on the 19th. Looking forward to the evening with you all again, it’s been a while.

2 Likes

Added the red to a forthcoming order, I already have a bottle of the white so will be all set here to take part.

3 Likes

Now out of stock!! :cry: :dragon:

Good spot - and not surprising, given how popular this Fine Wine List has been already!

If anyone still wants to join us, feel free to either join only with the red wine, or choose another of the winning charddonays (including a few other brilliant white Burgundies):

https://www.thewinesociety.com/searchProducts.aspx?q=&hPP=15&idx=products&p=0&dFR[Lists][0]=Champion%20Chardonnay&is_v=1

Thanks so much for pointing this out, Taffy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wines arrived today. But going to be on my own so have decided to just have the Domaine Perdiguier and save the Oncle Vincent for Christmas.

Also in this delivery came 2 bottles of

As prompted (inspired? Led astray?) by @Taffy-on-Tour.

7 Likes

Oncle Vincent: Opened a bottle at the weekend… can I say, that it needs to be WELL chilled otherwise (to my palate) after a half hour it becomes rather rich, perfumed and out of balance. I appreciate it is a sacred cow in TWS community, but (again to my palate) over rated.

However - very interested in other’s opinions - I’m frequently wrong.

4 Likes

Any views on potential sediment in this bottle?

I’ve had it standing up for a day now, but will I need to filter out the scuzz?

1 Like

Just to let you all know, the topic for tonight’s tasting is now live, so please head over:

I’ll close this topic now - looking forward to tonight!

2 Likes