And take note, adventurous wine drinkers, because I’ve got a feeling they’ll be two reds most of us won’t have tried…
NEW #TWSTaste: ‘Cinderella Region’ Reds, Thursday 12th March, 8-9pm
We’re about to mail out what I think is a really exciting offer, put together by Marcel - Cinderella Regions - which celebrates the incredible success of the 2018 vintage for many of the regions which are often in the shadow of more famous neighbours.
A couple of wines get a name-check in the intro as being particularly remarkable in 2018, so I thought we’d try them!
Wine one: Côte Roannaise Éclat de Granite, Domaine Sérol 2018
As described by Marcel:
“The genesis of this offer goes back to January 2019 and my first trip of the year. Travelling though the Auvergne, my first stop was at Domaine Sérol, an estate in the Côte Roannaise I have been visiting for 25 years. Never had I come across wines of such beauty, and winemaker Stéphane Sérol was lost for words; nothing in his experience could match 2018 which is truly exceptional”
Wine Two: Vin de Savoie, Mondeuse, Terres Rouges, Jean-François Quénard
“I found the same story playing out wherever I went, from Marcillac in the southern Massif Central to the Alpine vineyards of Savoie, where Chignin producer Jean-François Quénard talked of 2018 in the same hallowed tones as the legendary 1959.”
I’m hoping these will shed some much-deserved light on two relatively unknown reds, but while we’re here…
BONUS BOTTLE: Bin #4 - Furmint 2011
[LINK TBC - GOING LIVE ON FEBRUARY 26TH]
Our next Bin Series wine is going on sale on 26th Feb - and it’s very low-stock so will probably sell out quickly. I know it’s piqued the interest of quite a few of you here so I thought it might be nice to taste it together?
How to take part
- Buy a bottle of each of the above wines [Bin Series optional!] and have it delivered before Thursday 12th March 2020
- We like to encourage everyone to get some friends over, or plan a dinner they think will match - really make an evening of it! Let us know what you have planned…
- On the night, open the wines ready (we usually have a discussion in advance about whether we think they need decanting and for how long)
- Join us here on the Community a little before 8pm , and there will be a topic called ‘LIVE #TWSTaste’ ready and waiting - that’s where we’ll all taste and discuss the wines.
We hope you can join us - who’s in (apologies in advance for the terrible Cinderella references…)?
- I’ve got my glass (slippers?) at the ready! [yes]
- I’m hoping to go to the ball [maybe]
- My wicked stepmother won’t let me [I can’t make it]