01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW #TWSTaste: Christmas Curiosities, Thursday 12th November, 8-9pm

Hello everyone :smiley:

We’re pleased to announce our next virtual taste-along for your diaries:

#TWSTaste Christmas Curiosities: Thursday 12th November, 8-9pm

Our Christmas Fine Wine List is launching very soon, so we thought our next #TWSTaste would be a lovely opportunity to try two wines included in this list, from our Christmas Curiosity Shop!

There are low stocks of both of the wines we’ll be trying, so if you would like to join us at this tasting, please do order quickly!

The two wines we’ll be trying are:

Vin de France Garance ‘Inclassable’ Pineau d’Aunis, Bois-Brinçon

From the 2015 vintage (but not allowed on the label), this is, more by luck than prelaid plans, a perfectly modern expression of a weird and wonderful old grape variety, pineau d’Aunis. Light in colour and silky in texture, with currant freshness and peppered strawberry fruit, this wouldn’t be out of place in trendy Australian or South African circles. A rare delight to savour over the next year or two.

Somloi Hárslevelű, Kolonics 2017

Hungary’s hárslevelű often plays second fiddle to the more recognised furmint grape in the iconic sweet wines of the Tokaji region. Given the limelight here, it produces a full, dry and flavoursome treat with intricate and intriguing aromas of spices, elderflower and roses.

These wines are slightly more indulgent than we would usually choose for our #TWSTastes, but we thought it would be a festive treat and a special way to round off what has been an unprecedented year for us all. :slight_smile:

How do I take part?

If you’d like to join us, here’s what to do:

1. Order one bottle each of the above wines and make sure they’re delivered by Thursday 12th November.
  2. Reply to this topic letting us know if you’re attending - feel free to post a picture of your bottle, we love seeing all your photos!
  3. Chill or decant your bottles ready for the event - and if you like, prepare a special meal to serve alongside them.
  4. Log into the Community shortly before 8pm on Thursday 12th November - you’ll find a topic called LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Christmas Curiosities where the event will take place. Feel free to begin chatting to your fellow members on the topic before we start!
  5. We’ll guide you through the tasting from there - it’s all done in written format (you can share photos too!) so don’t be shy to share your thoughts on the wines!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

Who’s joining us?

• I’ll be there!
  • I’m hoping to join.
  • I can’t make it this time.

0 voters

We’re really looking forward to this, and to seeing as many of you here as possible! :smiley:

Oh my gaaawwdd!! Do you realise how much wine I have bought in the past 2 weeks ? :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:, fortunately one of them was the Kolonics, unfortunately one of them WASN’T the pineau d’Aunis . (Also, I’ll not tell you what that wanted to autocorrect to…:flushed:).
Guess ANOTHER order coming my way :flushed::woozy_face:.

6 Likes

I have a Society delivery tomorrow for about 18 bottles I haven’t got space for… I could open a Pop-up wine boutique at the weekend…

They do look good though…

5 Likes

I had some wine coming next Friday, so I have added them. Like the look of this pair, hopefully will say the same after the tasting.

1 Like

I would like to add the red :grin: to an order but would prefer to make just one order, so, do we think given the plethora of additions over the last day or so that these wines constitute the new fine wine list or will there be more bottles coming on the 1st??

1 Like

There might be more, or reading the blurb might reveal something currently unsuspected. If you want to secure a delivery before the 12th, book a delivery in (late next week?) then add to it if there is anything else that tickles your fancy,

1 Like

Thank you.

pineau d’Aunis aka Chenin Noir (though not) but it’s the reason Chenin has the blanc suffix

2 Likes

Doh! I’ve just realised my order with these in doesn’t arrive until the next day. Quick call to member services needed!

2 Likes

@laura, @Kelly, Any idea what December’s #TWSTASTE will be?? We’re getting close and with potential delays in deliveries it would be great to know?
Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks for raising, @Leah, just waiting on confirmation but we will let you know as soon as possible!

1 Like

Thanks Kelly

I’ve ordered the Christmas Curiosities case, but it’s not coming before the 12th. I pushed the delivery date back in case I need to add anything from the forthcoming Italian Fine Wine offer - Hopefully just a bottle or two if my resolve crumbles.

Sorry, I won’t be joining in, but will be very interested to see how the wines taste.

1 Like

I’m here for you! (by which I mean I’ve done the same and my resolve is also going to completely crumble).

2 Likes

Just bumping this in case anyone’s placing an order today for delivery this week and fancies joining us. :smiley:

If anyone doesn’t have the wines but fancies joining with a different ‘curiosity’ to taste along anyway, you’re also welcome. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Laura, I’d missed it — not joined in a TWSTaste for ages, looking forward to it!

Had the 2018 Kolonics and concluded that it was “delicious!” - fingers crossed for the 2017!

1 Like

Was it the same grape?

1 Like

Yup. I’ve also had their 2017 Juhfark before, which I noted had an “interesting nose” and was “a lot of quality for the price”.

3 Likes