01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

NEW: #TWSTaste [21st March 2019]: Alternatives to NZ Sauvignon Blanc

twstaste

I’m not in it for the wine choice - I just enjoy sharing some booze with you lot for an hour or so!

:clinking_glasses:

After reading the descriptions of the wines, I predict I’m going to enjoy the Cour Cheverny the most out of the two. Looking forward to the tasting, and to trying both the wines for the first time!

Feel obliged to put in a few words on behalf of NZSB. Do people really not like Greywacke, or Lawsons Dry Hills, or … I find it hard to believe!

I’m with you on that one! :+1:
Dog Point… Kumeau River… And Greywacke wild ferment is a stunning wine! :heart_eyes:

I’ll make an exception for Greywacke wild ferment and Dog point isn’t bad, they’re made in the same winery. But really can’t drink standard NZSB.

There so much other interesting stuff to drink instead!

OK, so here goes… I like NZ Sauvignon Blanc. Perhaps there are poor examples in pubs, supermarkets etc that people come across on a daily basis… BUT, the good examples can be excellent. I enjoy all wines including NZSB - It’s not a favourite, but it has a unique place in the range of white wine tastes.

Completely agree. These 3 are so different to the ‘market SBs’ out there.

I popped into the showroom the other day and thought I’d pick up my bottles, but the Cour Cheverny was 2014 (a member of staff went to see if he could get a 2015, but returned empty handed). Got a bottle anyway and have now ordered the right vintage online. It’s all part of a cunning plan! :wink:

I have the 2014 and am not planning on purchasing the 2015 for the tasting … I’ll be tasting the one I have ! There will obviously be differences to the 15 but that’s all the fun in it :wink:.

One must draw the line somewhere… my alternatives to NZ SB will be a Meursault and a Mosel GG Riesling.

I may also adopt that tactic and not in fact purchase any bottles for the tasting . :rofl:

Like a few others I’m not a huge NZSB fan but I did have TWS Exhibition one last week and was hugely impressed and believe it or not I’m now looking forward to some more. :new_zealand:

Oh dear! Thanks for flagging that - I’ll see if I can get some bottles in the Showroom for anyone else who wants to pop by.

Mini-bump! Just to say this is your last chance to put an order in if you’d like to join us this Thursday. :smiley:

I won’t be there, regrettably, I’m in in America at the moment.

I like NZ SB, but rarely have it at home. Certainly the cheap supermarket ones are reliably mediocre. The time I order it is in a pub or a bar, for instance in an airport, a place that has a restricted range of wine by the glass. Most will be borderline indrinkable, red or white. At least the NZ SB will be zesty & refreshing (acidic?)

My wife opened our bottle of cheverny 2015 the other day while I wasn’t there, and then I was invited to a Brunello tasting so I may be in partial attendance!

Hope she enjoyed it :wink:!

My lips are sealed!

Well, tonight’s the night! I’ll close this thread now and have posted some tidbits of info on the two wines on the live thread below for everyone to digest at their leisure prior to the tasting at 8pm.

Thoroughly looking forward to tasting and chatting with you all then!

closed #29