01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

NEW #TWSTaste [16th August]: Alternative Argentina

twstaste

I think we’ve had long enough to lick our wounds following our last #twstaste which took place during England’s disappointing World Cup semi-final match against Croatia.

Here’s the next one:

Alternative Argentina: 16th August

When: Thursday 16th August from 8 to 9pm

If you’re new to TWS Taste/feel like a refresher, have a read of this topic which explains what it’s all about,

This time we’re tasting two of the more curious finds in our brand new Flavours of Argentina offer - a cool-climate malbec and a barrel-aged chenin blanc:

Red

White

They’re slightly more premium wines as we’ve had a couple of requests to give some £10+ wines a try as we haven’t done much of that before, but I hope they’ll still be affordable for most. :slight_smile:

Fancy taking part? Add a bottle of each of these wines to your next order and make sure it arrives before 16th August, and join us here at 8pm to taste along. Feel free to cook up a matching dinner or invite some friends around to join in!

Who’s in this time?

• I’ll be there! :smiley:
  • I hope I can make it… :grimacing:
  • I’m not free this time :frowning:

0 voters

Hope to see you there! :slight_smile:

What’s in your basket [13th Aug 2018]
#TWSTaste: Members' Favourites, 13th September

They look good! I should be able to make it this time, will pop them in my basket now, just to remind me :clinking_glasses:

Ah! shame, but I will have to miss this one, @laura!
We’ll be in Provence, so shall raise a glass of rosé to you all, and hope the tasting is as fun as ever! :grinning::clinking_glasses:

Ooh, jealous @Inbar! And a shame you can’t make it but I hope you share lots of nice pics of Provence with us! :heart_eyes:

Oh, just seen your reply too @Herbster - hooray!! :smiley:

Thanks, @laura! :smiley:
We’re both rubbish at taking photos on holiday (neither of us has a smartphone, and the old camera just seems so bulky!)- but I’ll do my best. Incidentally, we’ll be in L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on the day of the tasting, where Keith Floyd used to have a restaurant, I believe. I LOVE watching his old programmes on French cooking- the bow-tie, the glass of wine nearby, and bags of English wit… classic!

Edit: can one have ‘bags of wit’ (English or otherwise)?? :thinking:

I think we can grant you some poetic licence :wink:

Thank god it wasn’t a wine note, or I’d be a right hypocrite!! :grin:

I really like this selection, too bad we will be in Hungary on holiday…

Oh yes! Keith Floyd was an inspiration for a relaxed (French) cooking style that became very influential. He was never afraid to improvise and made enjoyment of food and wine a goal in itself, at a time when Nouvelle Cuisine was all the rage. His programmes were great fun and are well worth re-visiting; can you imagine his character at a BYO lunch?! Sorely missed…

On the iPlayer now!

Great fun, indeed! I absolutely love his casual style - the template to a hundred contemporary chefs. Him indoors also loves the Stranglers music which begins and ends Floyd on France. :grin:

‘Golden Brown’ - an all time 80s favourite… ‘Peaches’ was pretty good too. I feel a new thread coming on…

I can make this one - it’ll be my first and I can’t wait!

@NickP WOOH! :smiley: Great that you’ll be joining us for the first time - hopefully the first of many.

Certainly hope so @laura - the timing has just been shocking for me for the last ones so looking forward to taking part first hand rather than vicariously!

Don’t imply that you knew him , he left large debts to suppliers everywhere…:relieved:

Holiday Snaps

How very Keith Floyd!! :grin:
I’ll keep schtum…

He had a restaurant inn down in Devon near to where my cousin whom I have mentioned lives, we went to the place as he knew the new owners and they said every year on a large bank of grass opposite next to their car park bulbs would appear in spring spelling his name and the restaurant, it was the reminder they didn’t need as suppliers were still trying to get money from him, he was still alive at the time.
Loved his programs but I imagine/ I know a lot of people didn’t for the reasons given.

Oh and we are going down to Provence a month after you in September, taking the car so I can fill the boot on the way back there and in the Alsace, the big anniversary is next week and the party this Saturday, I will post the main wines available before then, a good opportunity to make a hole in my cellar, can’t think of a better reason.

I almost went to a cooking class with Keith Floyd… it was cancelled last minute. Not much later he died… how inconsiderate.

I love maps. Here’s a wee map showing where our last tasting took place. The UK bound together with wine!