01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

New: AMA with winemaker Apostolos Thymiopoulos, May 2021

What wines do you drink on special occasions? For example, what did you chose to celebrate with on your last birthday?

Many thanks.

3 Likes

Thank you for such a great range of Xinomavros. I really enjoyed the unoaked expression of your jeunes vignes. Understanding Xinomavro is very tannic, have you considered maturing one of your old vine plots in amphoras, concrete pods or any other method?

4 Likes

Just remembered this thread. Did I miss the answers? If not, the closing date was 4 weeks ago, do we know when we can expect them?

4 Likes

The rather vague ‘second half of May’ gives them some wiggle room I think :smiley:

3 Likes

Coming this week! :smiley:

1 Like

Today is the day!

Thank you for all your advance questions for Apostolos Thymiopoulos - we’ve received his answers and we’ll be sharing them one by one over the course of this afternoon!

Do keep an eye on this thread for your answer to be posted - we’ll spread them out in separate posts over the next few hours (so don’t panic if you don’t see your answer straight away).

We also have our Buyer for Greece @horsleym on hand this afternoon - he’ll be available to answer any questions you might have about our current Greek offer, or anything else!

2 Likes

This question came up on another thread in connection with the Mavrotragano, Hatzi dakis 2017 recently listed. In case Matthew has a view. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Apostolos Thymiopoulos: Karavas Rapsani is not going to be released as a single vineyard in the near future but it plays a big role in the final blend of The Terra Petra Rapsani.

4 Likes

2016 was an early ripening year for assyrtiko with decent yields (although still below the average), the Mavrotragano from 2016 is pretty fresh, savoury and structured. 2017 was a heatwave year and yields were down as a result due to sunburn on assyrtiko but did produce some amazing wines (the 2017 skitali is incredible for example). For the mavrotragano it’s big, rich and very powerful (15% vs 14.5% in 2016), but is balanced. Personally i think the 2017 is a better wine

5 Likes

Will this be listed later on?

Is the 2007 Rose from Thymiopoulos (4 years barrel ageing) a one-off or to be repeated?

2017 Skitali was offered before Christmas and sold out in Feb/March time this year, sadly.

1 Like

Whilst this is thoroughly depressing news, I can now put the ‘Karavas account’ on hold, which is probably best after the recent Greek foray :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks very much, Matthew. I see that the Hatzidakis Cuvée No.15 (2019) is also 15% which seems pretty punchy for a white. Do you have any views on this wine?

Apostolos Thymiopoulos: Since the beginning I always wanted to make a more “serious” Rose wine in comparison to the style that we can find in the market. Our classic Rose de xinomavro (2019 is the current vintage) is meant to be aged. That’s why we release it one year later than the rest of most producers and we strongly recommend to our clients to enjoy them after 1-2 years in the bottle if that’s possible. As for the Rose 2007 that vintage was quite cold and thus two of my high vineyards yielded Xinomavro grapes that were extremely acidic. The wine was beautiful but too much acidity in order to be enjoyable at that moment. What I did is that I transferred the wine into 500lt old oak barrels and I left them to age there for 4 years and then 3 more years in a stainless steal tank. The wine as everyone can tell is already aged and at its peak but it will easily continue to evolve in bottle for 3-4 years from now.

2 Likes

Thanks for putting this in the right place!

I thought that was the objective… :rofl:

While we are on Hatzidakis, how is the 2018 Aidani in your opinion?

abvs this high are pretty common on Santorini. It’s a bit of an anomaly in that it’s an incredibly hot island with almost zero rainfall throughout the growing period yet the whites excel. Yes they’re alcoholic but assyrtiko has naturally incredibly high acid so they’re beautifully balanced so i wouldn’t be put off - although perhaps suggest sharing a bottle with someone else rather than tackling one alone :wink:

3 Likes

Nice one, thanks!

Wonderful. Genuinely. Full of peach and nectarine and classic Santorini brinyness. It’s steep for a pretty unknown grape but I think it justifies it in the glass. Sadly the 2019 isn’t as good so won’t be buying so those looking for their aidani fix should go for this one. Plus it has my favourite label on any wine ever :slight_smile:

2 Likes