01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Mystery cases

I really need to take this thread off alerts.

A claret case into reserves for when I have space to take it.

2 Likes

Mystery Claret Case:

All ready to drink - so that box is happily ticked.

Approx £96.90 list price, paid £89. - another tick.

No duffers, all more than decent but nothing outstanding. Would I normally have bought these wines? prob not (especially the Exhibition Pomerol which in the past has been underwhelming). On the other hand, these are good, straight-down-the-line wine-rack fillers, and easy drinkers, which is what I wanted. So that’s half a tick.

All in all, a happy bunny.

13 Likes

Just over £1 a bottle off, an underwhelming wine and some duplication? I’d be unhappy.

1 Like

Lucky you didn’t buy it then :wink:

4 Likes

Agreed. Imagine sidling up to the groom on the big day, nodding in the direction of the bride and remarking rather you than me mate.

3 Likes

Ah yes, however they fill a qualitative gap in my ‘ready rack’ - inexpensive yet decent claret, ready to drink right now. Which is exactly what I wanted.

The ‘meh’ Exhibition Pomerol I had previously was a 2011 (opened 2018) & 2015 is supposedly a better year so perhaps I’m being unfair in pre-judging this one.

The other thing, is in anyway I always buy wine in pairs and not singles - drink the first and then I know if the 2nd is a ‘keeper & improver’ or not. So I’m okay with 3x2 bottles

4 Likes

Whilst I get the excitement of the unknown, the possibility of discovery and of course the GREAT UNBOXING, I am steering clear of these cases. The savings are mostly inconsequential and I would far rather pay a little bit more and choose exactly what I want. If just one bottle out of the six or twelve is a duffer then you would have been best off not bothering.

3 Likes

Six Bottle Mystery Chardonnay Case

7 Likes

Must… resist…

Nice spot - I need some quaffing chardonnay so duly ordered. Will post the outcome…

With 134 chardonnays currently listed, the mystery is certainly alluring.

Prediction: one will be an Exhibition Limari, one Bogle and one Society White Burgundy or Talmard Macon.

4 Likes

Only 13 cases left as of 5pm Thurs. My bet is there will be a Blind Spot Yarra Chny ?

I’ll throw something South African into the mix like Jacques Mouton ‘Madeleine’ Chardonnay, Franschhoek 2020

2 Likes

Coming in my next order! Can’t believe how many positive reviews for this wine… just had to give it a go myself :grinning:

1 Like

It’s really lovely and great value for the price. I look forwards to hearing your thoughts!

1 Like

I’ve certainly been contemplating it so was on my mind when I saw the case

2 Likes