01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Mystery cases

They are future presents or raffle prizes then! Sorted!

1 Like

Indeed, but there is nothing there I would actively object to and I suspect none mine will make to the end of lockdown!

2 Likes

These £95 cases are excellent, and would certainly tempt me to buy one…but there are none left. Need to keep an eye out. Our daughter has just taken delivery of one as her second ever order - think she’s done pretty well.

Whites

Reds

18 Likes

She has indeed! White selection looks interesting, the Albarino is great, and Grenache Gris looks interesting…

Trust that isn’t still the Christmas tree in the background :wink: (he said swivelling with fingers crossed)…

2 Likes

Yep, we like the Albarino, and we used to drink Chateau Thieuley Blanc when we were about her age - it was one of the first “proper” wines that we really got into, so it’s nice for us to see her get a bottle.

1 Like

Just went through my £95 mixed dozen case. How did I do? (Actually asking, as I’m still fairly green when it comes to my wine knowledge!).

Vintage Wine Locale Type
2017 Alovini Aglianico del Vulture Le Ralle Italy, Basilicata, Aglianico del Vulture Red
2017 Bleasdale Shiraz Bremerview Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, Langhorne Creek Red
2019 Concha y Toro Chardonnay The Society’s Exhibition Limari Chardonnay Chile, Limarí Valley White
2017 Castello la Leccia Chianti Classico Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG Red
2016 Château Mont-Pérat France, Bordeaux, Entre-Deux-Mers, Premières Côtes de Bordeaux Red
2016 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja Red
2019 Château Pas du Cerf Côtes de Provence Le Merle France, Provence, Côtes de Provence Rosé
Williams & Humbert Manzanilla Alegria Spain, Andalucía, Manzanilla de Sanlúcar de Barrameda White - Fortified
N.V. The Wine Society Catalunya Cava Spain, Catalunya White - Sparkling
2019 The Wine Society Fleurie Exhibition France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie Red
2020 The Wine Society Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough White
2019 The Wine Society White Burgundy France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Mâcon-Villages White
14 Likes

If that’s a mystery case, looks like a great one.

3 Likes

Awesome very nice case

1 Like

I generally don’t want too many society labels, just to mix things up, but having said that you got at least 3 of my faves (Bordeaux white, limari Chardonnay and the Fleurie).
Nice selection with the cava and sherry thrown in. For an average of 8 quid a bottle that’s a great case.

Edit: I misread, it’s the White Burgundy, also great

4 Likes

It is indeed a mystery case. Thanks for the validation all!

@HBlackburn yep, I haven’t had any of these (nor any TWS only label or Exhibition wines yet), so it’ll be a nice educational experience.

4 Likes

That’s what these mystery cases are all about for me, getting to try wines you wouldn’t normally buy, great way of experiencing new wines

7 Likes

I would take that selection in a heartbeat!! :clap:
At an average of £8 per bottle, a terrific advertisement for the concept. Well done. :+1: :dragon:

The £75 mixed & red cases are back as well as the £95 mixed cases if anyone is interested.

7 Likes

The shiny red van delivered me this today:

£95 well spent I think. Unspeakably excited about the Zilliken

17 Likes

I bet! I had a bottle over Christmas- it was great. Also good are the Society’s Greek white and the Vetrice Chianti.

Don’t know the others, but that’s a bloody amazing mystery case

6 Likes

Agree I would be delighted with that lot!

2 Likes

There appear to be £185/6 mystery cases available

2 Likes

What have members’ experiences with these more expensive mystery cases in the past - are they as good value for money as the 95 for 12 ones (i.e. do the wines typically have a value well in excess of 185)?

Yes, although be aware that usually one of them is a champagne, which depending on your opinion is part of the “making up the value”. Cut and pasted (and a typo corrected) from further up the thread, in the first round of them, I got:

• 2005 Vina del Olivo Contino Rioja (£50ish)
  • 2010 Certan Marzelle Pomerol (£60ish)
  • 2013 Exhibition Barolo (£30ish)
  • Boizel Champagne (£35)
  • 2014 Exhibition Hermitage Blanc (£30ish)
  • 2014 Beauregard Pouilly-Fuisse (£20ish)

That’s £225ish worth of wine at £185. Probably the least good value of the cases, but still got some cracking wines and a decent saving. Several people here did have a few problems with the value of the wine on the last lot, which hopefully have been sorted by now!

4 Likes

Thanks!