01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Mystery cases

That is a possibility however the freedom to make up mixed case(s) would be too much temptation. And current lock down means it’s impossible to sneak in extra wine!

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Resistance is futile. Made up a new (more expensive) mixed case and emailed member services to delete yesterdays order. Worst case scenario both orders are fulfilled. My motto is “It’s better to seek forgiveness that permission” :innocent: :innocent:

6 Likes

Thank god I’m not the only one… :smile: already confessed for a multitude of wine-purchasing sins to the OH. Secret Thursdays deliveries are a thing of the past… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Members reserves, then a gradual trickle of deliveries post lockdown…just saying… :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip off! A mixed 12 and a case of 6x 2019 provence rose heading my way.

Estimated dispatch early June!

2 Likes

I would… except all recent purchases have been non TWS… I’m working on a solution! :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Ah…I see your predicament…have them delivered to a friend’s house to collect when you can sneak them in…not that I would countenance such underhand practices obviously… :rofl:

1 Like

Ordering a Mystery Case has an unforeseen up/downside. I don’t want to order any more wine until I’ve found out what I’ve got! Rather than scurrying to turn my TWS wish list* into an order as I thought I would, I am waiting to see what I get first!

*I got rid of my usual fantasy wish list when they stopped doing bottle based orders and replaced it with things I actually intend to buy. Most frustratingly my beloved Carinaña Rosé is sold out now :frowning:

1 Like

I bought one once and was very disappointed. Nothing very exciting and I am pretty sure that the total cost of the bottles barely matched the price of the case. Best avoided in my opinion.

1 Like

Another one has appeared. This time a mix 6 for 108 quid. As Mr Adam Buxton might say this is very much a middle-premium offering.

3 Likes

A few years ago, the Society did a Burgundy mystery case offer. I seem to recall that the contents were bottles from growers which must have been in small batches in the warehouse - too small to offer individually I assume. But reputable growers.

Some people were absolutely delighted. Others felt they had just spent a chunk of money on things they wouldn’t have otherwise bought.

I guess this summarises mystery cases from anywhere. They will probably be at some sort of discount, but unless you are open to exploration in that category, they may not be for you.

10 Likes

Talking of mystery cases it’s VCP discovery month. Claret B and small wonders. At some point, the mystery of EP delivery will evolve

4 Likes

This is why I went for one. I wanted to see what I’d get that I’d not normally consider buying but may end up loving.

2 Likes

Am I to assume that the VCP everyone keeps talking about isn’t Champagne-related?

I had some of those, there were two price levels as I recall. Some interesting wines and a biggish saving, though I lost one bottle to premature oxidation. Still got one bottle - an ‘08 Vosne Romanee - left.

4 Likes

Yup, it’s the Vintage Cellar Plans

Thankyou very much, I was sat here wondering what secrets Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin still held to anyone! :grinning:

5 Likes

Last mystery case I had, was in reality a mix of excellent, good and few quite frankly average bottles.

But and this is important… It depends on personal preference, and I’m not impressed by new world overpriced bottles (in this case, there were a couple of USA boutique winery single varietals). The Rhone boutique vineyard bottles from a great year were however fantastic.

None of the bottles were duff per-se.

2 Likes

I have a fine wine case heading my way. Will see.

The burgundy and Rhone mixed case offers of years ago were brilliant their way. I’m still drinking 1er Cru burgundy which I would never have brought from these.

I noticed two bottles of Colombier Hermitage 2002 from the rhone offer still in my rack. It’s a rubbish year so they were a disappointment to get twice. Hence my reluctance to drink. Probably missed any pleasure they would have offered now. Will see on a quiet moment.

1 Like