01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Myers Briggs for wine

As I’ve started 2 weeks off work, and as I work in mental health, I thought it might be fun to see if the Myers Briggs Type Indicator could be applied to wine. Upon googling there’s not so much on using the descriptors on the wine itself, and quite a lot on google that tell you what kind of wine or varietal you would be.

Extrovert (E) - big, fruity, tannic, alcoholic
Introvert (I) - subtle, perfumed, nuanced, contemplative

Sensing (S) - the actual qualities, descriptors of taste, nose, robe, texture of the wine
Intuitive (N) - what it conjures up in your imagination, memories, emotions, sense of time/place

Thinking (T) - Structured, precise, matches a profile for where it’s from and what it’s made from.
Feeling (F) - Individual, personality, terroir, winemaker influence

Judging (J) - Meets expectations, predictable/you know what you’re getting
Perceiving (P) - Pot luck, bottle / vintage variation, qualities that may be seen as faults in most wines

My interpretation of these qualities when combined (caveat is that I am INFJ!):

Add E or I to the following:

STJ

Made to sell to people who want to know what they’re getting. Good quality, well made, but could be indistinguishable.

SFJ

Aimed at people who want to know what they’re getting; good quality as well, but has individuality or is distinct to the winemaker.

NFJ

Has a more ethereal quality to it than necessarily being well balanced or correct, also distinct to the producer, but at the same time the buyer knows that this is what they are getting

NTJ

Also has an ethereal quality or can conjure up emotions in some buyers, but is nevertheless precisely structured and made, and again, the buyer know they are getting this

STP

Well structured and precise and has distinct qualities to it. However it can be unpredictable according to the winemaker/vintage/bottle variation.

SFP

Very individual but also unpredictable depending on winemaker/vintage etc. Nevertheless these qualities (or faults) are distinct.

NFP

Very ethereal, emotional; because of the winemaker/vintage/region etc the wine has very individual and distinctive qualities which some may see as faults, and variation can make it unpredictable bottle to bottle, or vintage to vintage.

NTP

Again can bring up emotion/memory for the drinker, but is nevertheless well structured. However it can also have qualities that may be seen as faults, or unpredictability between bottles and/or vintages.

18 Likes

This is very interesting, @m4rk

I use this Myers Briggs stuff on a Uni module I work on; this certainly looks much more fun though :innocent:

Nice work :~}

3 Likes

A game I play sometimes is to apply wine descriptions to friends and relatives. So TWS notes from Monday’s tasting include wines which are ‘poised and classy’, ‘plummy’, ‘rounder and richer than in previous vintages’, ‘juicy and moreish’…I’d better stop there.

10 Likes

oh please continue so I don’t…

1 Like

Oh all right then. From another tasting:

“Fragrant, warm, supple”
“Expressive, soft and peachy”
“Depth and complexity”
“Very pretty, balanced and approachable”
“Plush, silky and elegant”
“Full, savoury and rich”

Of course there are plenty of other descriptors that can be applied to people:
Thin, short (or long), acidic, sour, aged…

7 Likes

Some age gracefully while to others age was not kind

4 Likes

I was hoping there might be some “for laying down”

6 Likes

Seems like a bold reinterpretation / variation of What3Words, which has been lately resurrected as trendy once more : - so, extrapolating…What3Letters best identifies, or could identify, a particular wine ? I’m no mathematician but that could potentially cover over 17,500 wines… or maybe I’m missing the point

1 Like