01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Musings on Monarchy

Wine wise I won’t have a lot to say. I notice from the book thread an interest in the land tenure and agriculture. As a working farmer, who is part of an industry that has received an enormous amount of income support since WW2, it now looks as though you are going to have to pay us to look after the countryside. I would be more than happy to give a farmer’s perspective on countryside issues.

5 Likes

Can’t see us ever being a majority, but there are more of us than people think…!

Welcome to the Community. Plenty of engaging non-wine conversation here too, but I’m sure you’ve noticed that already. Get stuck in :+1:

3 Likes

I’m never sure on this one. I have a feeling there will be a lot of reflection when the current Queen (who regardless of my political feelings, think is a bit of a badass) passes away.

1 Like

I think we lost the art of reflection. Deflection and obfuscation seem more common on these issues. The monarchy is like a Linus comfort blanket to many, and I really struggle to envisage any grown-up feelings about this odd and outdated institution.

Just my opinion, of course!

7 Likes

In any case, the position will become redundant when Prime Minister Liz Truss declares herself Her Utmost Highness New Pharaoh Of The Galaxy later this year.

7 Likes

A new thread here?

I hesitate to discuss political matters here, but whatever your views you might find this pertinent, or at least entertaining.

1 Like

Or a good old bit of Marxist false consciousness?

Anyone trust a majority who voted for Prime Minister Johnson to pick a decent President?

6 Likes

It was only a minority of votes cast.

4 Likes

If we had proportional representation, I probably would!

6 Likes

Beat me to it.

1 Like

And if my magic wand could only make one major constitutional change, this would be it. I’m a republican, but it’s certainly not the top of my list, maybe not even second or third.

If loads of people really want a monarchy, fine, whatever. I don’t, but in any case there are bigger constitutional fish to fry that are more likely to gain public support.

10 Likes

In hindsight, the two great oversights of the Blair years were not grasping the opportunity for electoral reform, and not putting the regional assembly vote in the NW rather than NE (and thereby giving Dominic Cummings his first stab at creating mayhem).

I’m convinced, if those two things had happened, we’d have more balanced governance - I can’t think for one minute that Manchester and Liverpool would have blinked given the option for more regional autonomy, or that austerity (the nursemaid of brexit) would have been so hard with a much greater number of Liberal MP’s, and frankly a much more representative and balanced HoC. (It may be a minority view, but the 2017-19 Parliament was probably the most representative of the country as a whole in my lifetime).

4 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much, Prince Andrew is working on it!

9 Likes

Careful, you’ll have a load of royal lawyers on your doorstep.

I think they’re a bit tied up desperately trying anything to avoid a trial at the moment :smiley:

1 Like

Is a Nicholas Wichell a good synonym for a royal sycophant? Daren’t post on pendants corner. That lot frighten me. When they come on screen, I hide behind the sofa with the daleks.
To be fair on Nick, he makes a lot of sense with the mute button on.

2 Likes

Oh yes. If I recall correctly, even prince Charles echoed this thought at some event or other. Deference to other mortals always bemuses me.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I find the need of some to have a royal family perhaps the most unfathomable of all the unfathomables.

2 Likes