01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Musar Mayhem!

I got mine from De Burgh in Dalkeith, I think Divine might have some as well, but I’ve never ordered from them; sometimes they crop up at auction like bidforwine, hope that helps @RJackson

1 Like

Certainly does! Thank-you.

It could well be; mine were £29 from TWS but that was back in May.

My father-in-law loves Musar and I wanted to get him a bottle for Xmas.
Found the 2000- Chateau Musar 2000 — Gerrard Seel
For that I thought was a good price, has anyone tried this? how’s this drinking? Gets good reviews on cellar tracker.
Or are there any other vintages around the same price you’d recommend?
I have seen the 09 listed on WS but feel the 2000 seems more impressive given the age.
Love to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

I’ve bought from Gerrard Seel before and their prices are usually fairly reasonable and they do tend to have some of the older Musars. Their 2016 is a little more than I paid from TWS last May but not too much. I think that’s not a bad price for a Musar that’s already 22 years old! I would consider the 1998, though, which is I think a better vintage than 2000. The last 2000 I had had huge amounts of very fine sediment and really needed to be passed through a coffee filter; worse than I’ve had with even older ones. And 1998 is, I think meant to be a particularly good vintage. A little more than the 2000 but not that much.

2 Likes

That does look like a reasonable price. I’ve not had the 2000 for a while; by this stage bottle variation will be having some effect. Provided its not corked etc, I think you’ll be in for a treat; bear in mind it’ll evolve in the glass, as well as over a couple of days- but I’m sure your father in law will know this.
If he loves Musar then you probably won’t go wrong with this!

2 Likes

See my entries above, from 30 Sep and 1 October. The 2000 was singing.

1 Like

I think that’s a good price. We drank a 2016, 2007, 1998 and 1975 last Friday. The ‘75 was the star - phenomenal wine (I think we got lucky) but the 98 was superb too. Of more recent vintages I think 2007 will go a lot longer.

2 Likes

If 1975 is going strong, then 2016 will see my nicely well into old age!

1 Like

That’s my feeling. but people do of course report a great deal of inconsistency with older vintages of musar (can’t say I’ve really experienced this with anything post 2000) and the old corks are pretty ropey.

2 Likes

I’ve still got 3 '99s but I’m not sure how long I’ll hold them for. Each one has so far been sublime. In fact a '99 was my first Musar and the start of my love of them.

3 Likes

Gone for the 98 and 2 bottles of 2000 for myself as to get free delivery!

3 Likes

Thought I’d highlight this

3 Likes

There’s a whole load come up for auction; Search Results :: Fine Wine Marketplace, Rare Wine, Bin Ends and Vintage Wine. Buy and sell wine directly with other users

3 Likes

Some nice wines in there I’ve never bought from auction …

I have bought a few bottles from that auction house before. Oddly enough some Musar white 2012 and Musar red 2000. No issues at all.

A limited number of mature Musar have appeared Chateau Musar 2007 on the site. I have some already, so I’m out.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @MikeFranklin, much appreciated.
2 bottles promptly ordered.

1 Like

Thinking it might have been part of someone’s estate being cleared out. It is amongst a very large number of different wines of various vintages and all as low stock.

Resisting the urge to collect musars

2 Likes