01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Musar Mayhem!

Screw the waiter’s friend into the cork, then insert the ah so over the top (so the waiter’s friend is between the tongs). You should then have grip down the sides and through the middle for particularly fragile corks.

Or you can go all-out and pick up a Durand

2 Likes
7 Likes

I was just about to post this vid. It’s useful. The last section shows the waiter’s friend and ah-so combo. Around 4 mins 30 secs in.

2 Likes

Thanks

With regard to the Durand, I think I’ll see how the £6.98 version on Amazon works out :grinning:
Maybe when I buy my first case of Lafite

2 Likes

Just an observation, which has probably been made before - but it’s interesting to notice that I pay little attention to the vintage of Musar, but trawl reviews when it comes to practically any other good wine. I wonder if this is just something about being a collector, or that weak/strong vintages are simply seen as different with wines from this winery. Or do we make too much of vintages?

1 Like

That’s a topic in its own right!

In general, vintages can have intrinsic qualities, and different vintages can have wildly different maturation profiles.

I think Musar vintages have traditionally varied quite a lot, but I generally find that every dog has its day. Vintages that seemed lacklustre on release can suddenly turn out to be a “swan”.

But thinking about it, I recall thinking years and years ago that one characteristic of New World wines was that they were more consistent between vintages. I’m no longer sure if that can be said, although in places like South Africa, the wine making seems to be improving year on year, sometimes transcending underlying vintage effects.

Not sure any of this has answered your question!

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply; I’ve not done a vertical for some time; I did drink a 2014 and 2015 VT rouge, where I didn’t notice as big a difference as the vintage reports would suggest; perhaps with more time that would become more apparent, or perhaps a good maker can make a good wine in almost any year. But I like what you refer to as intrinsic qualities, ie that each wine/vintage/bottle can be liked/judged in its own right. Compare and despair! Thanks :slight_smile:

Not quite sure that is what I meant by intrinsic qualities! I was thinking more that wine made in a hot/dry year will have different characteristics to one made in a cold/wet year and sometimes there’s little the winemaker can do to get around that.

2 Likes

The thought coming to my mind is that while vintages may be different, the weather in Lebanon is always good enough to produce good wines, and that’s why you don’t need to worry about it too much with Musar.

Also I believe that Musar only releases its wine when they think it’s ready rather than after a fixed period so this may be another reason it’s reliable. But I am just speculating as I really don’t know.

Edit: probably should have referred to the climate rather than the weather.

3 Likes

First of all I am a Musar fan. I met the man himself (fascinating) and have several bottles in the cellar. However, I am constantly intrigued hoe this one wine manages to produce 949 entries on a single thread! Astonishing.

2 Likes

The Hochar 2018 (pictured with a very nice aperitif - Daiginjo from Gekkeikan … not that I pretend to know anything about sake!). It is almost immediately approachable, somewhere in between Beaujolais and Burgundy in style, very perfumed, bright and fresh with cherries and violets. Lovely acidity. Very different to the 2017 I had last year (including 20% price increase), which was much more the house style; whilst absolutely delicious, I’m surprised at its approachability. Hard to know if this is a change in direction for Musar, bottle/vintage variation, change in my own tastes, or something else…

4 Likes