01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Musar Mayhem!

I really like the Domaine des Tourelles wines. They’re not comparable to Musar but I do think they are underrated, and generally well priced for what you get. The top wines need a good decant to really open up.

2 Likes

How was your 91, and how did it cope with any decanting (if you did so - and did you try a soupcon before deciding whether to decant?)? Curious (and don’t think you’ve said)?

3 Likes

Opinions vary with Musar - I am personally a big fan of 2014 and feel that it is offering a lot of pleasure now (more than most new releases). It’s also a bit more “normal” compared to some of the older vintages. If you had enough people and cash to do it, a fun experiment would be to compare a 2001 with a 2014 - you could learn quite a lot.

Also be sure to give it plenty of time - drink it over 2-3 days if you can .

2 Likes

Agreed - recently enjoyed a bottle of the Carignan and went back for more. It’s not so similar to Musar, but just a delicious and characterful wine.

2 Likes

Yes! 1991 can be quite variable (surprise, surprise!) at its best it’s glorious, but some bottles have shown their age in less attractive ways. 1-2 hours is probably a good start, assuming your wine glasses permit plenty of sloshing around if it proves necessary.

Oops - this is rather late!

2 Likes

Sadly I was contacted by the NHS app last week to do 6 days isolation so the dinner has been postponed to possibly next weekend. I’ve decided I’m going to open the last of my 01’s with it as a comparison of the 91 and 01.
Will be sure to post on both here and the drinking thread when we get to open it.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear. As an aside, I’d try a little glass, then pause and revisit, before deciding to decant such an old wine - even Musar. But each to their own! Hope it’s great!

1 Like

Well… This evening in my glass is a 2018 Domaine des Tourelles and the bottle has had half an hour in the fridge 'cos it’s still 26C in the shade.

So far… not overly impressed. Good nose (mainly Syrah / Cab Sauv), and full bodied, tannins need more time, finish is a bit cloying - no refinement. Although at under £11 its very good VFM. I suspect will be better tomorrow, or maybe more appropriate to autumn / winter.

Part of the problem is I just don’t ‘get’ Syrah / Cab Sauv blends. They seem inimical, but that’s just me. I suspect that tomorrow evening the wine will have changed somewhat.

3 Likes

I know what you mean about cab/syrah blends. I love both on their own or in more conventional blends, but they seem to sort of cancel each other out into an overpowered, confused concoction - at least ones I’ve tried.

1 Like

Try Domaine de Trévallon, a 50/50 cab/syrah blend. One of the great wines of France.

5 Likes

I would also recommended Château de Beaulieu blend from Côtes du Marmandais. The Château blends traditional Bordeaux grapes with Syrah, and it really works!

This one’s the current one in TWS list, but previous vintages were very good to excellent:

And boy, what a price tag…! :grinning:

3 Likes

And… added to my wish list waiting until my next order, fantastic price for a 2012 & maybe the extra years have integrated the principle grapes . Thanks to @Richard + @Inbar for the heads-up.

1 Like

It was their Cinsault that I liked

Oh… that makes sense now! will look out for it.

2 Likes

I have had the Domaine des Tourelles Vieilles Vignes which also left me rather unmoved. I didn’t dislike it, in fact I’d say it was quite good, but it just didn’t excite me at all. A bit bland I thought.

Yes, me three, just a bit uninspiring I thought, well made, nowt wrong with it, just, well, a bit ‘meh’ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, yes, in many respects I agree with that! It’s no Musar in terms of wow-factor (but I’m biased). I’d slightly put it the other way around - rather than say “I didn’t dislike it”, I’d say I liked it, but certainly didn’t love it.
Had a bottle just the other day with a BBQ. Did the job very well indeed.
I have had other wines in that price category that perhaps were more delicious, Cru Bojo being a particular favourite.
The other one that is interesting is “Levantine” - a Musar wine made from Cinsault & Grenache exclusively for M&S. The funny thing about that is that it took a day of having been opened to really strut its stuff.
In this weather, I’d also serve these things chilled, but that might be too weird for some.

1 Like

I think that’s the key point not just for this wine but many wines I’ve had that haven’t quite hit the spot for me. Nothing wrong with them, but just didn’t quite float my boat as other similarly priced wines have. And that of course is naturally a very very subjective thing. Hence to criticism of the wine itself.

It’s an interesting point in terms of tasting notes and scores. Sometimes one has a good sense of loving a wine despite its flaws (Musar being a classic here) but it’s hard to know what one might say in a TN to convey that, other than “may not be everyone’s cup of tea”. I guess being as precise as one can about the qualities of the wine can help - eg. mention VA and Brett…

1 Like