01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Most Obscure Varieties in Your Cellar

To complement @szaki1974 thread on Top Varieties, how about the five most obscure.

My 5 most obscure varietal wines, in alphabetical order as I have only one bottle of each

1. Baco Noir (Ontario)
  2. Black Spanish (Texas: incorrectly known as Lenoir by the US TTB )
  3. Malagousia (Thailand)
  4. Mission (California - aka Listán Prieto)
  5. Odessky cherny (Ukraine)

all are still table wines

What are your 5 most obscure, as varietals or in blends?

5 Likes

With due respect Tom, Muscat is hardly obscure!

You only have 2 bottles of sherry? That’s terrible.

Copied and pasted from the other thread…

Chasselas (Switzerland, England)
Petit Arvine (Switzerland)
Trousseau (Jura)
Negrette (Fronton/SW France)
Turbiana (Italy)
Fer Servadou (Marcillac/SW France)
Molette/Altesse blend (Seyssel, Savoie)
Jacquere (Savoie)

And, of course… That Acolon, Cabernet Mitos and Dunkelfelder blend :crazy_face:

4 Likes

By the reading of your and the other post I assumed you meant obscure in reference to my cellar. I only have 1 bottle of it. Otherwise I’d cut it down to maybe 1 or 2 varieties.

1 Like

Nothing particularly obscure in my cellar, Lledoner Pelut is probably the odd one out. Otherwise known as Hairy Grenache and most commonly found in the Languedoc Roussillon. In the cellar as a result of a case of this last spring/summer…

3 Likes

I have 3 to hand I think, maybe one isn’t on CT! I tend to drink it less as the weather improves.

Can’t compete with @peterm on extreme obscurity, but I have quite a lot of moderately obscure varieties

Chasselas (Switzerland)
Clairette (Rhone)
Listan Blanco (Tenerife, not sure this one counts as Listan Blanco is also better known as Palamino Fino, so sherry! I have two, one is blended with Marmajuelo and Albillo)
Canaiolo (Toscana)
Folle Blanc (Pays Nantes, Loire)
Hasandede (Turkey)
Agiorgitiko (Greece)
Moschofilero (Greece)
Gamza (Bulgaria)
Biancolella (Campagnia)
Listan Prieto (Tenerife)
Nerello Mascalese (Sicily)

I think five of these were from differing levels of adventuring cases from TWS.

4 Likes

The only ones slightly obscure in the cellar are Mavrotragano and Harslevelu… maybe Scheurebe, but I have used this word so often in the last couple of weeks that it does not really strike me as obscure any more.

1 Like

I find that really satisfying to say (butcher, given my weird North Wales/Surrey hybrid accent). Also delightful wines.

3 Likes

I’m tempted to strike the Nerello Mascalese, as Etna Rosso is increasingly common place. A varietal Nerello Cappuccino on the other hand would be an interesting/rare thing to find.

2 Likes

Xinomavro and Albarino are about as exotic as mine gets, unless of course Mas de Daumas counts…?

7.6% rare grape varieties: Nebbiolo, Barbera, Dolcetto, Armigne, Arenie, Bastardo, Saperavie, Tchkaveri, Montepulciano, Areni Noir, Tchekavesi, Souzon, Brancalleo, Petit Verdot, Carmenere and Abouriou.

Not sure I’d include the first three in rare grape varieties, nor Petit Verdot or Carmenere, though they will all be rare for the Midi!

2 Likes

Montepulciano rare? Have they never been to an Italian restaurant and ordered the second cheapest bottle on the menu?!

2 Likes

Yes, I missed that in the middle of that long list. It’s probably rare in the Midi too mind!

2 Likes

I’d never heard of Loin de L’Oeil before @Tannatastic mentioned it in a previous thread, but now I appear to have two bottles with it in. Translates as ‘Far from the eye’, which it certainly has been up to now. One of those is blended with Mauzac. Both SW France.

I have a Calabrian wine composed of 80% Magliocco Dolce and 20% Magliocco Canino, not encountered either before.

I have a Greek wine that is a blend of Xinomavro and Roditis, another new one on me.

3 Likes

Until the weekend, I had a Juhfark.

Dobosi Pincészet Juhfark 2018 - Bright golden yellow in colour, on the palette - salty, slightly smokey and fuller bodied (moreso than all the Juhfark’s I’d tried in Budapest, which were lighter bodied & paler). Maybe slight brett/funky notes, but nothing too distracting.

The obvious ones:

Loin de l’oeil
Mauzac (Not Mauzac Vert if any of you confuse the two)
Ondenc
Prunelart
Duras
Braucol
(And those are just Robert & Bernard Plageoles :smiley:)

I also have one bottle of the Producteurs Plaimonts Pre-Phylloxera bottling which has several numbered but ‘unnamed’ grapes in it (believed to be relations of Tannat and Fer Servadou).

I also have at the moment:

Negrette
Mandilaria
Vidiano
Vidal
Posip
Pelaverga
Frappato (TWS Sicilian mixed case ISTR)
Trebbiano/Ugni Blanc (not that rare these days is it?)

And most notable mention to the wonderfully named, previously bought (which I wasn’t aware of, but CT is a mine of information!):-

Tsolikouri
Hondarrabi Zuri
Teran
Plyto

5 Likes

Mine are probably all Georgian grapes. Let’s say…
Tsolikouri
Tsitska
Krakhuna
Otskhanuri Sapere
Aladasturi
In Georgia they are not particulary obscure, but they are certainly not the most common varieties

The most obscure grapes that have EVER been in my cellar are also Georgian, found in the wild, and blended to make one wine with a production of around 600 bottles . They do not even figure amongst the 500-odd native Georgian grapes that are claimed to exist. I’m not sure how they got their names, but I presume they were once cultivated for wine and some people remembered them
Akhaltsikhuri Tetri
Meskhuri Mtsvane
Udis Tetri
Chitiskvertskha Tetri

6 Likes

Got to be a lone bottle of Cretan Mandilari I have. Although that’s blended with Syrah so maybe cheating.

2 Likes

That’s the Txakoli grape, I believe!

2 Likes