01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Most collectible wines

Hi all,

Just noticed an article in Decanter with regards to reasons why wines become collectible, it does make sense if its a hobby. I wouldn’t ever try investing in fine wine, the only investment in wine I made is an investment in future enjoyment when it comes to EP purchases.

Interesting that I didn’t see Musar mentioned, I guess that’s more of a cult wine rather than a collectible wine - although it is fun to collect them as they are all so different.

Just looking down the list of ‘top’ collectible wines, I have an empty bottle of 2006 Rousseau Chambertin on my desk which was good but not amazing. I do also have an (alas) empty bottle of 1990 Paul Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle which is the best red wine I have ever had. I have also had some Opus one which was ok, as well as tasting a vertical of the Penfold Grange wines which again was ok.

I don’t really collect any specific wine or producer, I do like to try different wines for various occasions - never really get why people buy 2 cases of the same identical wine.

Is there any wine or producer that you are collecting?

Thalabert. 18 vintages currently! looking for some 2001…

All for drinking. I’m not interested in investing.

This isn’t incompatible with trying lots of different wines, if you really like something why not get lots? Depends on how much you drink! I’m sure you wouldn’t complain if someone gave you two cases of 1990 La Chapelle :wink:

Must admit I’ve never really understood the concept of collecting wine. Although I keep some wine for 10 years or more it gives me little pleasure until I actually consume it. In that sense my wine “collection” is a bit like the food collection in my fridge.

To enter into the spirit of this thread though, I have more vintages of Musar than any other wine - 99, 00, 02, 07 and 12 - and 01 white. In fact I think it is the only older wine I have multiple vintages of.

I never buy wine as an investment only for personal enjoyment. For me, if a wine’s tagged as ‘collectible’ it’s going to be prohibitively expensive and beyond my scope to purchase. Yes, it’s annoying when wines you’ve drunk regularly in the past become more expensive due to demand outstripping supply. However, at the end of the day I’m not really fussed as I like to get as much bang for my buck as possible and there’s a world of wine out there to explore that may provide similar pleasures for a far smaller outlay.

Although not a collectible wine, I buy a six pack of Gaillard’s Saint-Joseph ‘Clos De Cuminaille’ most years EP because it’s reliably good and well priced too. That’s about as far as I go these days.

I did have a single bottle of six vintages of Grange ( 81-86 ) at one point in my life. Bought as a mixed case for £125. How times have changed !

I completely agree with all of the sentiments about buying wine for drinking and not for the sake of collecting, or investing. What I will say, though, is that there are wines that I make a point of buying every year, because I like them. Most of them I just drink up over time, and the ones which are age-worthy I try to develop a pipeline, so that I’m drinking older vintages while the younger ones are getting ready.

There are perhaps a couple that come closer to the concept of “collecting”. I buy three bottles of Marcel Deiss Gruenspiel and Ridge Lytton Springs, En Primeur or on release, and drink all but one, holding it back to make a vertical. I did have every vintage of Gruenspiel back to 2000, but then we drank six of them, and the ability to compare gave even more pleasure than just drinking the bottles by themselves. I’m further away with the Ridge, but quite enjoying the wait. So, it’s kind of collecting, but strictly for my own drinking pleasure.

Domaine Huet Clos du Bourg and Le Haut-Lieu Demi-Sec, Chateau Musar, Seresin Raupo Creek, Karthäuserhof Riesling Kabinett, Sylvain Pataille Burgundies, Paul Cluver Pinot Noirs are the main ones that I purchase in every vintage. Purely for personal enjoyment and always find them reliable.

I ‘collect’ a few wines but these are exclusively for future enjoyment. There are some wines and producers I follow having discovered that I really enjoy them. These are both wines I enjoy as well as being (in my opinion) good value for money.

At the moment I’m building collections including:

• Musar: 2003, 2006, 2009-2012
  • Ch. de Pitray Cuvee Madame: 2015-2018
  • Dom. de Perdiguier Cuvee d’En Auger: 2015-2017
  • Bodega Weinert: various
  • Dom. Sylvain Pataille
  • Dom. de Bellene

I’ve got various other wines in more than one vintage but don’t actively pursue most/all releases.

Hoping that Musar remains relatively secret. I worry that by the time my '12s are ready to drink I’ll be priced out of future vintages.

I have collected some producers wines almost by accident. Historically Beaucastel and more recently Pierre Yves Colin-Morey. Neither was really intentionally collected as ‘collectibles’, by which I mean wines others would covet, but were more just wines I enjoyed when first tried them and then repurchased when offered in subsequent vintages by wine merchants. One other I wish I had purchased in the ‘collectable’ category was Fourrier Clos St Jaques. I bought a few bottles but then stopped buying - major mistake!

I collect Rauzan Segla as I have enjoyed many vintages and they are still relatively reasonable compared to other classed growths.

I seem to have fallen into collecting Clape Cornas. Can’t say no to an allocation of that!

I am just getting started in wine but there are some I buy on release (and have bought back vintages of)

Rioja Alta 904: 2001, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010
Bodegas Caro: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Pintia: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

I have wines i buy regularly but I don’t “collect” them. If you drink the wines you buy then in my view you’re not a collector.
Collectors tend to get a thrill in trying to complete their collection or the status they acquire by displaying their collection.
i buy Ch Beaucastel regularly but i;m not a collector.

I wouldn’t describe myself as a collector, but there a couple of producers I’ve got a few vintages of.

Lopez de Heredia is probably the producer i have the most of : 04, 05 and 06 red , 05 white and 08+09 rosado which is fun.

Plus a nice vertical of 15, 16, 17 Sorrel Hermitage le Greal which will be sitting in storage for quite a long time!

Other than those i really find I get more out of buying broad rather than deep.

I have 5 vintages (2012-2016) of the Olivier Bernstein Mixed Grand Cru case, but I stopped collecting after the 2017 was released at the same price as the 2016. I will definitely hold on to these and then see what happens in 10+ years. I also have 4 vintages (2014-2017) of mostly 3 bottle cases of Jean Yves Bizot Vosne Romanee Les Jachees. The price here is also now in silly land… These two, I would say, fall in the collect category. I also have some Burgundy winemakers I have been following from 2014/2015 for drinking pleasure (Pataille, Haisma and Le Grappin). The rest is pretty random.

That got me thinking. I wouldn’t call myself a ‘music collector’ but I certainly have what could only be described as a music collection.

I guess I also have a wine collection. But whilst my music collection only ever grows on top of what’s already there, the wine collection is in a slow but steady state of churn (even if it often feels like one bottle out, two bottles in :laughing:).

It’s a collection, but it’s being remade faster than I can destroy it.

Having been there I can see why they make good wines, literally across the road from the front gate of the Chateau is perfect stoney soil for Cabernet Sauvignon. Shows what can be done when you have top quality raw materials to start with.

I speak as an “expert” - if we still believe in them! the prof bit stands for professor and I’m a professor of consumer research!

Don’t worry, I’m not of the Michael Gove school of thought…!

I not sure those words belong in the same sentence (just for the semblance of clarity this is a joke!)

I can remember a time when some of the wines on that list (if not the exact vintages) were affordable. I remember buying some Penfolds Grange (1985 I think) for £19.95 a bottle in a Bin end sale and 1986 Haut Brion for £29.99 in Oddbins.

I bought Grand Puy Lacoste and Palmer every vintage from 1978 to 1990 (except 1980 and 1987). When cases were a full 12 bottles. Totally out of my price range now.

I now like to buy mini verticals - perhaps 3-4 vintages of a wine - and then move on. What I find fascinating with this is seeing how individual growers can buck general vintage trends.