01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

More on ‘pay to play’

Previous thread was closed.

10 Likes

Thanks for the share, very interesting. I saw the original Twitter comment and lots of reaction, but this goes deeper. Must be a lot of it about, I suppose.

1 Like

Fascinating and very worrying development. I’m not surprised this is where things are going. It does add more value/importance to private reviews on sites like CellarTracker.

1 Like

In the past I’ve flagged up the idea that some, and I hasten to add some CT reviews of wines are perhaps not as independent as they appear at first pass - it is, after all, a platform open to all - as I recognised the names of a couple of merchants effectively reviewing their own wines. It didn’t garner a very appreciative reaction, as you might imagine. And I’m not really into it for policing something on others behalf.

It is perhaps a sad indictment of the world we live in, but safe to say, it’s always worth having a small dose of scepticism to hand when dealing with anything that involves merchantable products.

9 Likes

Completely agree! Always need to consider how much you are influenced in a purchasing decision. I’ve no doubt that paying to play goes across many industries and many publications, it’s a real shame but also understand everyone needs to make a living.

CT reviews are interesting, never really considered the impact of producers reviewing their own wines.

3 Likes

Another reason for TWS to reinstate the consolidated member reviews page.

9 Likes

The real question is: are there any people on this forum who are being paid to post positive tasting notes on The Wine Society’s Community pages? Declare your interests now!

6 Likes

Where do i sign up? Sounds like an excellent side hustle

7 Likes

There are one or two here who mention Yellow Tail quite frequently.

10 Likes

Is Yellow Tail really wine?

2 Likes

that must have really boosted Yellow Tail sales

5 Likes

Hahaha! Well reviewing my comments on here I don’t somehow think I’d pass the entrance exam as a ‘TWS Influencer’.

For my money, being paid (in kind or otherwise) to influence others is the lowest form of etc!
Sadly, they appear to be a numerous as flies on a dung heap!

4 Likes

Just what a paid Influencer would say. It’s all about “authenticity” in this social media age we live in.

12 Likes

I do hold my hand up and occasionally mention some positive stuff from Asda but I’m pretty sure most people know I have a vested interest. Hopefully my comments come across as OK.
No one has pulled me up on it… Yet!

19 Likes

@Herbster’s mum is an influencer :scream: :scream:

11 Likes

Puts a different take on the advert now :joy::joy:

7 Likes

On the broad topic, I just had a marketing email for an “exclusive wine” from one of the big sites with the dreaded comment “Famous Italian wine critic Luca Maroni has awarded it 99/99 points”.

1 Like

Agree with a lot of this, in particular scores; I see little value in them because it is trying to make factual something very subjective and personal; I guess scores need to be read in context.

Jen Dunnock’s response here:

I don’t subscribe to his site, but he seems legit.

Edit: ethical guidelines his website

Dunno either