01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Mixed box for dad

Dad has asked me to put together a mixed box of wine for him for Christmas.

This is not unusual, but I thought I might see if the combined knowledge and wisdom of this community might be able to provide suggestions & feedback, without any of my natural prejudices to get him the best selection possible from TWS.

In general (feel free to disregard, as an opinionated 70-year old, there are many exceptions):
He wants red wine
Style-wise, he likes Nebbiolo, he doesn’t like Pinot Noir
He does not have the patience for filtering / decanting or otherwise faffing about; corkscrew -> glass-to-mouth normally under 15 seconds.
Budget is £150 for a case of 12 bottles

So, all feedback welcome

5 Likes

Could try this primarily Sangiovese with an addition of Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon. One of my wife’s favourites.

4 Likes

If he likes Nebbiolo this might also be worth a try:

BTW, methinks the second reviewer had an oxidised wine. I really enjoyed this one, and there were none of the notes he described.

3 Likes

I have no personal experience of thise wines, and have not checked what TWS have in stock. But I like Barolo too and on that basis I would suggest: Valtellina, Ghemme and Gattinara (also Nebbiolo), and Xinomavro (which to me has a similar taste profile). Maybe also Aglianico - another high quality Italian grape that gives big wines.

3 Likes

Haven’t tried either wine, but if you’re searching for some money to spend on something else you could consider replacing the Exhibition Barolo with this (same maker, 2011 is a warm vintage where the couple I’ve had this year have been drinking quite well, where if 2016 does a traditional shut down it may not be that far off)

3 Likes

This wine from Zuccardi might be interesting https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=AR4241. Also, have you thought about a richer style of Grenache - https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=CE10701

2 Likes

There are a couple of nice things from Rizzi in stock which are dear but might be worth looking at.
I’d forgotten all about the Bricco Rosso Suagnà. I think I last had the 2008 which was lovely, though I note that one of the reviews belongs firmly in the He Didn’t Like it thread.

2 Likes

How would these work for him… ?

6 Likes

Lucky Dad. I’d be tempted to @ mention my children on here, hoping they would get the hint, but they’d be asking me/mum for cash straight after!

Might Zinfandel have a place in this mixed case? always found it a crowd pleaser for the type of audience you describe.

Excuse the edits - trouble with the Links

4 Likes

Thanks for all the responses, some great suggestions there.

Have already swapped in:
@Inbar’s Etna Rosso
@SteveSlatcher and @Alchemist’s Xinmavro Jeunes Vignes - he’s liked this in the past and can test out the new vintage for me
@NW_passenger’ Silvano Bolmida Barolo (for the 2016 exhibition)
@Robin63’ Chilean Grenache
Unfortunately the budget won’t stretch to anything from Rizzi @Joewlmansfield (plus he gave away the bottle of Exhibition Barbaresco I gave him recently - he deserves no more!)
Probably shouldn’t hang around before ordering (the Portuguese red has already disappeared from the shelves), but a bottle of Zinfandel is the back-up option @Boomergpl, which one will depend on what (if anything) goes out of stock. I don’t think he’s tried one and really probably should do.

Will let you know how successful the case is - what is demanded to be repurchased and what gets given to the dogs :poodle: :poodle:

6 Likes

Too right. Doesn’t deserve any Gattinara or Ghemme either. I withdraw those suggestions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:scream: for some crimes there is no suitable punishment!

2 Likes

Yes, he wanted to give them something nice :astonished:

I was looking forward to drinking (most of) that with him, though I doubt he’d have the patience to leave it even a quarter of the time he should.

1 Like

Bit late to the party, but it sounds like riper style smooth wines straight out of the bottle would work really well, how about this juicy number ?

4 Likes

Interesting that he’s a fan of the Xinomavro but doesn’t like Pinot Noir…though he does like Nebbiolo, which is intriguing as many people like both… good call too though and maybe if you went a rung up the ladder the Rapsani Terra Petra?

2 Likes

How about a bottle of Port?

1 Like

That sounds oh so familiar !

1 Like

Thanks, it will go on the short-list for the next case.

1 Like

There is no rational explanation for his likes and dislikes. I’ll consider gifting him a bottle of the Rapsani if he promises not to give it away!

There is a half bottle in there - the Dows from 2006. He will want a glass over Christmas, so if I can’t be there to help him out seeing off the bottle, he won’t be snoring at the table, he’ll make it to the sofa at least.

3 Likes

This might fit the bill:

And this is very drinkable - no faffing:

1 Like