01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Missing out on latest offers

Lately I have missed the chateau de Pitray 2016 …out of stock when I spotted it.
Ok maybe I didn’t click on offers…so I said to myself nevermind.
And now when I see this bin 5 offer…thinking great get some of this. Clicked and it’s out of stock
Amazed how fast stocks are bought up
Any pointers what to do so as not to miss the next wonderful offer will be much appreciated

5 Likes

I think you’re doing it now! Frequent these pages regularly and you will be rapidly parted from your cash. There are many eagle-eyed members here who spot these offers and share the info for the benefit of the community. It’s a better strategy than waiting for the emails as they are sent in batches and some wines go like hot cakes.

Just don’t blame us in a years time when you have a full cellar and empty pockets :rofl:

10 Likes

As you will see on the bin 5 string, there was some discussion and questioning of why the email was sent 4 days after the new wine was announced on some media platform that I don’t use (I did see it in the Community). You might want to add your comments there.

Some users here seem to think that you should watch everything in case something comes up. Some of us enjoy participating here, but think that there should be a consistent way of notifying members of new wines.

I do without fail visit the community discussions but I have never come across any mention of the château Dr Pitray and this bin 5. Is there a particular site or topic where the members inform each other

This is the first time I’ve heard about the Chateau de Pitray 2016, which has not been discussed here at all. I can assume we all missed it too!

The Bin Series #5 was announced on Instagram on Friday, having been announced that it’d be announced here, on Instagram and in the Digital Magazine that went out last week. There’s been an extensive threat titled Bin Series #5, that’d discussed both when the announcement would be and the announcement (as well as people missing out on both the announcement and the wine, also a discussion on the fairness of how these things are announced).

2 Likes

No. Just hope you spot a new topic.

A few thoughts on this:

1. It’s not helpful to caricature someone’s point just because you don’t agree with it.

2. Notification by email doesn’t guarantee everyone will see the offer at the same time because eg some will check emails more often than others; some email providers will block/spam it etc. There is no way to ensure everyone finds out at once.

3. With a little over 500 cases of 6 to start with, some members were always going to miss out because there was more demand than supply. The only way to spread it to more people would have been to push down the per member limit.

5 Likes

I did not get the email.

1 Like

Unless you’ve opted out, you probably will!

Although I have just received this!

Stupid temptation! Seems the world wants me to buy Beaujolais today! (I also got an email from Swig trying to sell me Guy Breton Morgon’s, which are fantastic!).

1 Like

This subject has seemingly been discussed repeatedly on these pages and I’m not sure I’ve seen the solution you’re seeking, but I am interested to hear more. I’m supportive of a consistent approach but what would you suggest is done to ensure 140,000 active members hear about something simultaneously? Are you aware of a practical solution?

Worth noting also, that in the case on Bin #5 by my calculation there were approximately 0.025 bottles of wine available per active member. So, even if it were restricted to 1 bottle per member you would have 1 happy member and 39 disgruntled ones.

6 Likes

Well, I think a “sort by latest added” type feature would

• make it much easier to browse the list for stuff we haven’t seen before
  • provide a standardized response to what people should do to see new offers

Of course I appreciate it might require extending the database, and so be quite expensive to do. Also, I’ve seen enough of these type of threads to know that people will object to anything… so bring on the objections!

2 Likes

Not 39 disgruntled, because some of us didn’t want it.

Just have a specific time and day of the week when new wines will be placed on the website, and then have a time (at least 24 hours later) when orders will open. Not ideal (if the times don’t suit you) but a start. At least this is better than the current non-system when announcements seem to be made in random fashion at random times.

If the bin series is so limited should it perhaps be limited to 1 or 2 bottles per member?

There is a latest added page on the website but I can’t find it on mobile so perhaps it’s just on desktop. I remember it being a little hidden even then.

1 Like

I do remember seeing it, but seem to remember it was only updated once a month or so, which given how long popular offers stay around…

1 Like

There’s this, which includes all the latest offers and emails.

1 Like

What I was thinking of was

Edited to say - it’s a bit hard to tell precisely which wines are new, but I think the following are newer than anything on that page (as I was looking at rose and Portugal last week and I don’t think these were there):

2 Likes

There is but this is a page that has bugged me for a while to be honest. It doesn’t always appear to be updated with the latest wines, it definitely doesn’t appear to be updated with the latest vintages released. I do think that the website would benefit from being able to sort by the latest wines on any given search criteria…but that’s for another thread!

2 Likes

Just have a specific time and day of the week when new wines will be placed on the website, and then have a time (at least 24 hours later) when orders will open. Not ideal (if the times don’t suit you) but a start. At least this is better than the current non-system when announcements seem to be made in random fashion at random times.

I agree that

I agree with this idea that a new offer should perhaps be placed on the web page notifying when orders can be taken. At least members can all be in the know and indeed if it is sold out then we only have ourselves to blame.