01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Mind blowing Condrieu tasted this month

discovery

Hi wine lovers

I wanted to share on Condrieu wine that I have tasted recently in Rhone Valley this month.

The vineyard of Domaine Georges Vernay host the oldest roots of Viognier grape. On the same vineyard named “Coteau de Vernon”, Christine the current winemaker and George’s great-daughter is producing one of the most delicate and precise Condrieu, never experienced that before.

Do you guys have any wine experience from this month to share?

Cheers

Nicolas

Hi @NicolasWine, sounds great. There are many of us who love whites from the Rhone here.
If you would like to see what everyone else is drinking have a look at these two threads. We have one for the weekend where we tend to see more opulent wines being drunk and also a thread for midweek too. :yum:

When I first became interested in wine, in the mid 80’s, Viognier was almost extinct and pretty much limited to two tiny appellations, Condrieu and Chateau-Grillet, in the Rhone. Vernay’s was the first example I ever tried and it left a lasting impression ( both on mind and wallet ).

Nowadays with great examples being grown worldwide, thankfully, it’s a much cheaper itch to scratch !

Christine explained me the story about Viognier and it is fascinating to know that this grape have almost disappeared.
I was frustrated when I’ve tasted the Chaillee de l’Enfer and Coteau de Vernon, because all the stock were sold and the price is really high as well, but as you said, you can find some real bargain abroad.