01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek drinks thread Nov 15-18

Decided kick this off as we had a museum visit last night. The weekends venison and pheasant stew did not happen and it’s time had come so dug out our own museum release.

Decanted to give it a chance to shine and it did not disappoint- soft integrated tannins and some life on the palate, mature fruit. Delightful on a foggy fireside night.

A couple more of this vintage for early 22👍

20 Likes

I was (very unusually for me) drinking on a Monday at Noble Rot Soho last night. Started with a bottle of Agrapart champagne, which disappeared rather fast with some liver parfait choux buns.

Then an old favourite of mine with some veal carne cruda and white truffle from Piedmont:

Which led us nicely into the roast chicken with vin jaune and morels. And then, well, because I just couldn’t resist:

Which was every bit as good as you’d hope. A delicate infusion of rosehip, soft red fruit and molten tannin.

30 Likes

I don’t even want to have to think about how much a Rinaldi Brunate would cost in a restaurant (on a Monday night or any other night!), but is the impression that 2017 is going to drink from the get-go, or is it more a reflection of high-quality wine making?

4 Likes

Yes I don’t want to think about it either.

This was my first 2017 so I’m afraid I can’t offer much insight into the vintage, but with the delicacy of the Rinaldi style it was drinking very well. So in response to your question, I would say both? High quality winemaking has made young Barolo much more accessible in its youth, as @Sarah is at pains to point out. For a Brunate, I was very pleasantly surprised.

For comparison purposes (obviously) I drank this on the weekend (2006), which was still ferocious:

16 Likes

That chicken, morels and vin jaune is soooooo good

2 Likes

Just a Monday glass. An early taste, 2nd of six. Needs some time but not ages.

18 Likes

A glass of another 2016 Barolo from Cascina Adelaide. It is very good, but the tannins put up a massive fight. May be time to give the 16s a fair few years.

19 Likes

Ooh, what vintage?

I had my last 2011 of that Morey recently, but they’ve long since gone out of my price range…!

It is the 2015 Paul. Albeit youngish, I like to work my way through a case at different times and not just keep six until full maturity. The fruit is there already just needs to knit together a little more. Enjoyed it though.

6 Likes

Had this last night, purchased from Sainsbury’s during one of their 25% off weeks, never saw it again.
Was a bit wary as I believed it was old school, it is but not as I know it, lovely nose of sweet leather? and soft tannins, plum and spot on acidity in the mouth and again so smooth, one of the best Rioja’s I have had and at a bargain , for the quality price, I think it was around £12 at the time, and I have two more, sometimes you get lucky.

18 Likes

Another long and stressful working day is about to end, and this Valpolicella Ripasso (Classico, Superiore…) will be my reward:

This wine puts me in the mood for Christmas, brimming as it is with Christmas spices, red plums, cherries and hedgerow berries and a touch of incense too.

Velvety smooth on the palate, the Christmas theme continues - this is not unlike a liquid version of a Christmas pudding (a thing I detest, incidentally, unless it came in a liquid form! :grin:). It’s spicy and delicious, with tangy fruit and freshness that belies its 14.5%…

Splendid! :star2: :relieved:

28 Likes

After a productive but slightly painful session at the leisure centre earlier some pleasure to follow…

…barrel fermented, about 10% new oak, ambient yeasts, 9 months on its lees, bottled without fining and with minimal filtration.

Struck match and lees on the nose initially. After 30 minutes or so stone fruit and citrus notes too. Fresh citric attack on tasting, nectarine, lemon and oatmeal flavours follow. Medium bodied, fresh but savoury with a tangy finish. Delicious !

Time to shuffle my aching legs into the kitchen to cook some salmon to go with it.

20 Likes

I also had a tough visit to the leisure centre - just a 30 minute “core” session. How hard could it be? Well, pretty darn hard is the answer!

In between homes at the moment and virtually all my wines are in storage. I’m desperately hoping to be happily reunited with them soon. Anyway the result is drinking wine more or less as I buy it, which is very unusual for me. Tonight it’s a Yalumba organic viognier from the Waitrose sale, an absolute bargain at £7.50. Lovely peach and apricot flavours with a hint of apricot kernel. Very refreshing, bright and clean.

I notice the label says “drink when young” and I am, at least in spirit!

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/australian-wine/yalumba-organics-viognier?gclid=Cj0KCQiAys2MBhDOARIsAFf1D1cPu6XQn3me-Rbd4qmgf6h1koIhdoFjuG_p_X9tBieLB59PoKnf18waApjoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

10 Likes

You’re not alone. I liken it to eating cabbage, not particularly pleasant at the time but ultimately good for you !

Fingers crossed for you that you settle into a new home soon and that you can be reunited with your loved ones :wink:

5 Likes

For the opposite experience (not particularly good for you but pleasant at the time), try roasted Savoy cabbage (wedges) with duck/pork/beef dripping, smoked salt & black mustard seed.

7 Likes

Or dress ribbons of savoy with tahini and chilli, perhaps?

I love cabbage.

5 Likes

LOL ! Many thanks for the tip James that does sound very tasty indeed so I shall give it a go. I may have been swayed by the mention of dripping, mind !

That sounds good too !

2 Likes

Not entirely sure about this one. Opened my bottle of Bin #008 Manseng Noir 2019 last night

and it might be I’ve left it too late or maybe it’s just not for me. Very plummy and, to be honest, seemed a little jammy to me. A bit too much fruit and too little structure for my taste. And something a little green, I seem to recall someone mentioning tomato leaves and maybe that’s what it is, I can’t quite put my finger on it. Easy enough to drink but I don’t think I’ll be hunting out this grape again.

18 Likes

Ribeye steaks with steamed broccoli needed a special bottle and so it proved after double-decanting - 1st of 6.

15 Likes

I’ve had one of these open for a few nights now - a 2017 Bourgueil Le Haut de la Butte, Jacky Blot.

I’ve always enjoyed Cab Francs - one of the first grapes I actively sought out when I was younger. The savoury-tanniny-minerally-earthy-fruity combo really works for me, especially often with a slight chill.

This one really is a particularly lovely wine in my book - excellent balance for my tastes between those features, with a lovely elegant, silky & weighty - but not heavy - feel to it.

It was more towards the savoury-tanniny side on the first two nights, but last night, its third night open, the fruit and a slightly ethereal floralness really joined the party too. Something like parma violets and loganberryishness. But gentle and not in your face. Very very delicious.

I’ve got a 2018 strategically placed in my eyeline whenever I open our wine fridge, and I suspect it’s going to soon find itself P&Pd over a few nights to inform which year I shall tuck away some more of.

IMO a whole lot of vinous-pleasure for the price.

20 Likes