01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek drinks thread 1st - 4th November 2021

To celebrate Ridiculously Underpriced Chianti Day (thank you, Waitrose), I’m having a bit of this which remains a favourite.

The 2016 vintage turned reasonably priced Tuscan wines into stars, and this is tangy, refreshing but so nicely balanced. Excellent with food, too.

17 Likes

Day 2 of the Domaine Belle Crozes and it’s quite different tonight, more refreshing and the oakiness has faded, but so has the fruit, leaving, well, not much. Don’t think it’s a bad bottle but hasn’t impressed.

Jim

4 Likes

Glad to read that your wine tonight brought some relief after having what sounds like a crappy and stressful day. It brought back memories of the end of my working life. I probably shouldn’t admit to this but I used to find it cathartic to go the gym and get on a rowing machine and imagine that whatever, or whoever, was responsible for the stress was somehow connected to the end of it, grrr !

Wine may have been consumed afterwards too :wink:

Anyway, fingers crossed tomorrow’s a better one for you.

5 Likes

No idea what the blend is, but 7 years on it is elegant raspberry, strawberry and cherry pepper. It’s the dog’s. I suspect it is syrah.

16 Likes
1 Like

Wrong one, sorry!

1 Like

I just checked, roughly equal old vine Carignan, syrah and grenache. But, yield 20hl/ha.
Organic grapes.

1 Like

Three nights in The Imperial Hotel, Great Yarmouth, arriving Monday in time to have a coffee over-looking the sea in our room (the Villa Maria room, no less with vineyard pictures). It’s been a bright clear day and the low sun has dazzled on the drive, however it was dark by the time we arrived.

Monday a refreshing glass of

Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Brut (France, Champagne)
while we peruse the menu and well priced, and interesting, wine list. Got to have

2016 Rhebokskloof Pinotage Vineyard Selection (South Africa, Paarl)

a vintage made when Pinotage guru Francois Naude was their wine man. Seven years old and just perfecto…

Tuesday we spent the day at Horsey Gap. The beach is closed off so the seals can pup in peace, and viewing is from the top of the sand dunes. After a clear sunny, but cold, day by the sea we both decide early on we’ll have fish’n’chips, but we have to decide on the wine, so while we decide we have another glass of

No Villa Maria on the list, so we have a wine from a winery we know

2021 Nelson Family Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc (South Africa, Western Cape)
and it doesn’t disappoint as it goes so well with battered haddock

Wednesday - our last day. Weather forecast promises rain, but GY is sunny with clear skies, almost no wind and I’m not cold for once. We’re torn that evening whether to have Mrs M’s choice of Primitivo, but if we’re going to have that variety, I prefer the California clone. So we discuss it over a glass of
and as I’m paying we have

2018 De Loach Zinfandel Heritage Reserve (USA, California)

and very nice it is too - but I would have liked a bottle of each to compare them.

The Imperial is a lovely owner run hotel with great ‘nothing is too much trouble’ staff, good food and wine list.

Thursday Our wine tasting group meets on the first Thursday of the month. Tonight it is Italian wines from TWS. Chin chin!!

18 Likes

Possibly the heaviest bottle I’ve ever encountered!

Another recent withdrawal from storage - at least in part because I’ve purchased a few vintages blind based on recommendation by a friend, who is also a wine merchant - and it is superb. Rich dark fruited and with good tannic grip and a long finish which is properly balanced between acid, tannin and fruit. A good example of trusting grower over appellation (it’s Cote de Nuits Village).

20 Likes

Been itching for a Rioja so pulled this to see how it’s going along….opened about 90 minutes and let the glasses do the talking…

15 Likes

Visiting my brother in Ankara for his wedding on Saturday, had these 2 this evening.
Lots of oak / valilla, both very rich in fruit too.

19 Likes

Bottle one from the recent Pataille Aligote mixed case here tonight…

…apart from the 2014 of the same wine I’ve no previous experience of aligote.

Green apples, lemon and salty lees on the nose. Identical flavours with refreshingly crisp acidity on tasting. By no means complex but there’s a lovely energy to the wine, everything’s in balance, the fruit has plenty of green but subtly rounded flavour and the lip smacking salty finish has good length. To my mind, it’s reminiscent of a good Picpoul de Pinet but a tad more expensive !

Anyway, it was still a fine match to a cod loin baked en papillote with lemon and butter and some goats cheese and beetroot fiorelli ( obviously shop bought ! )…

…all the best everyone especially those of you looking forward to some time off work.

26 Likes

Good to know about the aligote @Embee thanks. Will save mine for a fish dinner too.

Enjoying this here. It’s a lovely wine. Nose and palate offering plenty

18 Likes

Can’t really go wrong with Muga Reserva. It’s lovely stuff.

1 Like

A very simple Thursday pleasure:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/tenute-martarosa-due-versure-terre-degli-osci-2019

Gutted that it’s out of stock - I’ll keep an eye out for the next vintage (fingers crossed @Sarah…). This is not the most complex but it delivers blueberry in spades, with a nice slightly astringent finish.

9 Likes

Absolutely…Really delicious.
Plenty of life in that vintage also…

Opened this on Saturday, but finished last night. Such an intense nose; I had a glass next to me on the sofa and the aroma coming off it was amazing.

Fantastic with a rich beef casserole and buttery mash. Without food, however, it seemed a little unbalanced - the 15% alcohol certainly made its presence felt. Tannins were noticeable but not unbearable and the intensity of the fruit just as powerful as the nose. By the last glass on Wednesday, it was more balanced and the nose just as lovely.

Two bottles left. I reckon I should leave the next one at least 5 years.

21 Likes

I bought a bottle of this for my dad - he was also a big fan and instructed me to get him some more, so I’ll be looking out for the next vintage too.

4 Likes

That fits with my view on these; I’m sitting on 3 bottles and 2 halves of 2015 and 3 bottles of 2016. I had one of the 2015s in 2019 and thought I’d leave them until 2022. And I’ll probably not broach the 2016s until 2024 earliest.

2 Likes