01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread (February 28th - March 4th)

(sigh…) Oh do I have to ?

Kicking off this week’s reportage

The St Emilion left over from the weekend was an uninvited guest to today’s home-made pizza and home grown salad and foraged Pyrenean walnuts… was not an ideal wine to have and sorry to say the remaining 1/4 bott found its epiphany in my compost bin. Adieu mon brave.

Bring on Proper Pizza Wine, yay !

Enter stage left and a jubbly BJ - (has anyone said that BJ was ideal pizza wine ?) from a TWS mixed case. What can I say … cherry cola candy, a bit of tannic structure, lovely rose perfume… who can object. The only challenge was to not finish the lot in one go. (1/3 left for “later”…)

This was one of TWS BJ village cru EP from last year; seems not to be available now.
Dom Joseph Burrier St Amour, Côte de Besset 2019

21 Likes

Pray tell ?

Tonight cos it’s a Monday: Stuffed tomatoes, using left-over steak + rice + fresh oregano + Panko ‘chapelure’. Possibly one of my favourite ever dishes, available in every French Charcuterie but never here.

Wine choice is tricky 'cos all reds are garage cold, all whites similar. I have a hankering after Beaujolais having read @PHarvey post above. Or maybe a non-champagne fizz?

3 Likes

Oh well you know that I have a residence secondaire in Bagneres de Bigorre near Lourdes and walnut trees are ten-a-penny and it was from a stash of foraged walnuts obtained therefrom and thereabouts which were shelled, oven dried and vacuumed-packed which ended up in Blighty and now are added to salads, muesli and so-on.

2 Likes

Hi Could you please tell me what glass you are useing I really like the shape.
Lawrence

I’m deeply impressed. Have had wet walnuts from Alsace, but never from near Lourdes!

Incidentally (and totally off thread) I understand that the English obsession with Mahogany, is to do with being cut off from a supply of French / Spanish walnut in Napoleonic times?

France, Germany etc have no history of ‘mahogany’ to his day - so you get very poor reproductions of ‘mahogany’ from Mainland Europe laminate (formica) manufacturers.

2 Likes

er… @Lawrence-DD5A8 … is it a reply to my post ?
If it is, let me tell you.

It’s my favourite wine glass and serves a plethora of occasions.

It was “free” at a tasting in Oz, Two Hands, Barossa to be precise, some 4 years ago.

Here is the original debut, on the right - actually. If it ever breaks I will be distraught. I mean if terrorists invade my home… they can take children for hostage purposes - fine - good riddance - but not my 2 Hands wine glass

12 Likes

On such esoteric questions I usually reflect on the wise words of a doctor colleague encountered during my hospital junior doctor days in the 80’s. I had the great privilege to work with this colleague on a surgical intern stint for 6 months and he became a true hero / beacon of sanity.

He was from Grenada - and was the personification of cool / relax / chill.

He had only one answer to a multitude of questions from, well - me, his other colleagues, his patients, and the senior medical team.

It was … “who knows, man, who knows…?”

Words of wisdom indeed.

7 Likes

Opened a Half bottle of Esporão Monte Velho Tinto, Alentejano 2020

Which proved to be its usual ripe fruity loveliness. Possibly a little more tannic than the previous vintage. Not that there’s any harm in that.

15 Likes

So Monday night, a Fleurie.

2018 and shouldn’t really have been opened, with dry tannins front and centre - probabily will be better on day 2. I’m wondering if this is anything to do with the recent TWS Roilette (a stallion?) or is it simply a common name in those parts?

10 Likes

Pancakes with lemon and sugar tonight?

Which wine?

Moscato d’Asti

2 Likes

Anthony Road Pinot Gris 2016 Finger Lakes NY

Found this in the bin end rack at Averys Cellars, normally a Sunday Times Wine Club wine I think. Not bad, very pale, reasonably fresh but with proper varietal character. Second half tonight, but I don’t think I’d choose it over Alsace or Baden for my Pinot Gris.

11 Likes

Better to do duck pancakes and a decent red, no?

2 Likes

Afraid family tradition dictates…

Prompted by your post, @CCouzens I ventured into the depths of my wine fridge and much to my surprise found this - which should have been drunk up a decade ago.

The fruit for this wine, made by Cossetti Moscato d'Asti La Vita Docg 2021 | Cossetti , came from an ex-pat grower and winemaker, Phil Blades, who had a vineyard in Castelnuovo Belbo in the early 2000’s and made a really really good Barbera d’Asti, and had a B&B business there too, where I stayed 3 times, but I suspect he has since retired and returned to the UK. Cossetti is located very nearby.

It will be interesting to see how “well” this wine has aged; (eg will it even be drinkable ?..) the bottles we did consume within a year or two of purchase were delicious.

7 Likes

Well you can’t break those traditions so I would just go with my trusted food and wine mantra that has served me well over the years…
Food lasts X long, wine lasts much longer… So I’ll drink what I like :wink:
And in the case of a lemon and sugar pancake I would say about 1 minute max around me :pancakes:

8 Likes

Very slow going Chief, my little monsters nail theirs before the next pour of batter goes in the pan :yum:

5 Likes

Did you get any of those Ulysses Sauternes half bottles?

:joy:
Yeah my boys here are the same. It’s like they just thumb it all in and swallow it like a duck.
I always say “did you even taste that!?”
Response is usually “more please”

5 Likes