01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread [7th to 10th November 2022]

Me again…? Sorry! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

This evening’s wine is very much a known quantity, so no alarms and no surprises here:

Stiftskellerei Klosterneuburg, St Laurent Niederösterreich 2019

There is no doubt that this bottle would win the Rotten Labels competition any day, but I tell myself that thinking so little about the label meant they had more time to think about the wine within. And what a lovely example of St Laurent it is! Straightforward and fruity, for sure - but full of charm, drinkability and joie de vivre (or whatever the German compound word equivalent is :grin:).

Nose has notes of bramble and kirsch, pot pourri and wet forest floor (plenty around at the moment!). Similar notes on the palate - tangy forest berries, sour cherries and bramble jam mixed with a very lovely earthy note and parma violets aftertaste. It slips down easily and leaves a big smile in its wake…

It will accompany schnitzels and spätzle, and I can’t really ask for more on a dreary Monday!

Your turn now :grinning: :wine_glass:

19 Likes

I will leave you the honour of starting the new thread.
Please.

5 Likes

Poisoned chalice, surely…? :smiley:

3 Likes

It must be Meerlust Merlot Monday!

‘Classic in style’, says the back label, and it walks the walk. The initial, defiant, punch of green on the nose gives way to gently wooded fruitcake on the mid-weight palate, with soft, mature tannins and a sweet (if short) finish. My last of these, first bought five years ago, probably on a steady plateau now, and would no doubt chug along for a good few more years if given the chance.

I know we get the Rubicon offer every year, but I’d love to see some more of their range on the list again; they’re so reliably good.

25 Likes

Thanks for kicking things off @Inbar and, in many ways, similar notes to yours here tonight…

…a Pfalz Pinot Noir 2018 from Friedrich Becker (£15). The foxy label is very much to my taste. Some info from the back…

…for starters, a lovely colour. Good varietal expression on the fragrant and savoury nose with notes of raspberry, rhubarb, forest floor and integrated oak spice. Similar flavours, plus sour red cherry, on the fresh and vibrant, savoury and spicy, medium bodied palate. There was a hint of, not unpleasant, raspberry vinegar VA initially but that either disappeared with air or which my taste buds simply became accustomed to by the second glass. It was certainly an enjoyable match to a venison burger, chips and salad, as evidenced by the now empty bottle, that’s for sure, oops !

23 Likes

Last night I tidied up the remnants of this which was opened on Sunday night with an Ottolenghi mushroom lasagne (:yum:).

2018 Maison Roche de Bellene Pinot Noir Bourgogne Cuvée Réserve

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/maison-roche-de-bellene-bourgogne-cuvee-reserve-2018

£43 / 6 IB = £11.28 on the table.

A tasty midweek wine for when you have a Burgundy itch that needs scratching. Toby says 2023-2028 though I doubt it would:
a) go that distance to 2028 - it’s 12.5% cropped at 60hl/ha so not super concentrated
b) need until 2023 to come good (scarily this is just a few weeks around the corner). I’m halfway through my case and I’ve not thought they needed more time to come around.
A very tasty light-med weight, fine boned pinot nonetheless.

24 Likes

Dom de Montbourgeau L’Étoile En Banode. Pale gold, distinctive ‘yellow’. Sweetbread, fennel, touch of smoke, very ‘lifted’ nose; in the mouth, quite light, oxidative, earthy, saline, a little apple/pear, with a vibrant citrus acidity, some pepper spice and touch of bitterness. Lovely finish- the acidity, yeastiness and earthiness holds on into the finish, and there’s a familiar savoury quality that I can’t quite put my finger on. I’m enjoying this more than the Savagnin Etoile which was quite a bit more intense. This is so moreish, delicious and characterful. Much better after 24hours open.
It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but it might appeal to fino and manzanilla drinkers

14 Likes

Chateau d’Aydie ‘Maydie’ 2017
Well this is rather fun, the bottle design especially. 50cl is a much more sensible size. This is completely opaque, dark ruby. Deep nose of dark fruits, some mint, herbs; very rich yet well balanced in the mouth between the sweetness and acidity, much like a good port in that respect; blackberries, sour cherry; there’s also freshness, a bit of peppery spice, and tannin is there but well integrated - I know it’s there as my tongue has gone dark purple! Very approachable yet I think this has the structure and richness to age well. Great alternative to port and it seems to be made in a similar way.

24 Likes

Finally an evening when the sky doesn’t look like the inside of a bag (borrowing freely from a Swedish friend with this description…!). Nice sunset :sunrise:

Continuing on our Germanic food/wine theme from Monday, this evening is a combo of Maultaschen fried in butter and lots of onions, and a bottle of Grauburgunder/Pinot Gris to wash it down with:

Karl H Johner, Pinot Gris, Baden 2018

Johner is an estate based in the Kaiserstuhl - a range of hills in Baden-Württemberg which are effectively an extinct volcano, and (I think!) one of the warmest parts of Germany. I enjoyed several vintages of their Pinot Noir Enselberg (often sold in Waitrose Cellar), but never their Pinot Gris. This wine was fermented and then matured in 90% in stainless steel and 10% in seasoned oak barrels, with some time on its lees.

Stylistically it is similar to an Alsatian iteration - with pleasing viscosity and richness which is held in check by a zinging minerality and citrus freshness. Pale straw with perhaps a touch of pinkish reflections, the nose is a lovely mix of ripe apples and pears, peach, pineapple, Geri Halliwell and gentle honey.

The palate is similar - ripe fruit (orchard, stone) with tinned pineapple syrup, almost yogurt-like lees-y notes, and lovely spiciness. Everything flows so harmoniously; the acidity feels just right, preventing the rounded texture from feeling too heavy, and there’s a lively bitter lift to the finish.

One to savour and enjoy slowly. Sehr gut! :ok_hand: :heart:

22 Likes

Did you mean to type Geri Halliwell? I’m not sure what she smells like.

2 Likes

Ha ha! I meant Ginger Spice… :smiley:

Sorry, I’m terribly cheesy…

10 Likes

Ah sorry - a bit slow there!

2 Likes

Amadieu Gigondas Pas de l’Aigle 2016.
Just the faintest sign of age in the colour. This is much better after 24hours- at first the nose was a bit muted, but it later revealed leathery/ tarryness, smoke, plums, violet I think… quite a mix of things like. Big to drink, hefty tannins, bitter chocholate, dried fruits and that leatheriness again. Alcohol does show. A wine that wants to challenge - intense and almost overpowering. I’m wondering if it’ll stand up to the alcohol over time

20 Likes

Greeting from southern Spain, where we are spending a couple of weeks, trying to stave off SAD for as long as possible. The choice of wine in the local Dia supermercado is not great, but this young Ribera del Duero looked like good value for €9.

Bodegas Protos Roble 2021

100% tempranillo (Tinta del País) from Ribera del Duero. Deep purple in the glass, immediate hit of oaky aromas, with vanilla and intense dark fruits (cassis?) in the mouth. Certainly tannic but I quite like that. It lingered long in the mouth. Doesn’t hide its alcohol content too well (14.5%).

Not overly complex, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

24 Likes

Seems my brain is in very slow mode this evening; must be the big work -out! Anyway decided tonight was the perfect night to try a bottle of this

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/jurancon-sec-la-canopee-domaine-cauhape-2015

And I was quite excited about tasting it. So all going to plan, salmon cooked, a sort of lemony sauce ready, vegetables braised, went to open the bottle and discovered I hadn’t put one in the fridge (or someone has had it!). Bit of a disappointment to say the least. Oh well, there’ll be another day.

13 Likes

Wednesday wine night here, and the first bottle of what, in previous vintages, has been one of my favourite TWS offerings:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/koyle-costa-rapel-coastal-pinot-noir-2021

From 2015 onwards (excepting 2016) these were fantastic for the money. This has some of the notes of those wines but diluted, a little thin, a little green, a little acidic. I want to love it but we are both left a little “meh”. The other bottles will be put away for a while - it is early days for this wine, to be fair. Despite the “meh”, I look forward to the 2022 version - 2021 was a cold and challenging year in Chile, especially in this region, and perhaps this is an early warning of things to come from that year.

17 Likes

That’s a shame, will look forward to when you do find it! sounds like an interesting wine

2 Likes

Yes I’ve enjoyed these, had a 2015or 2016 a few months ago which was excellent

1 Like

It’s a beautiful wine! mind blowing in its complexity… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That’s interesting. I had the Koyle Pinot Noir one year, I think 2014, and thought it was terrific. In 2015 I bought a case, tried 2 bottles, and just couldn’t get on with it at all. I had to return the rest as I couldn’t face drinking them. It seems to be a very marmite wine, and changes quite a lot from year to year. That’s my impression, though to be fair I haven’t tried it for a few years.

2 Likes