01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek drinking thread (5th July - 9th July)

Perfect cork and nose is very pretty
Standing up since morning and opened 1h ago
More to follow :wine_glass:

21 Likes

Meanwhile in sunny Spain… This had a good hour in our rental apartment’s fridge and is really very good - yes Raimat is the biggest of the biggest - but this is decent value for €9.
Eagle eyed know-alls will easily spot the backdrop of the Montserrat mountain range; the gateway to Penedès and Cava country.
Tomorrow we are dipping into the Emporda region around Girona; doubtless smug selfies will follow.

25 Likes

Stunning pic that @PHarvey

Tuesday night we had this also. Great minds and all that @Brocklehurstj

I was a tad underwhelmed. Nice but maybe not £16 nice if you know what I mean.
I have a couple more.

Tonight we are having this in some afternoon sunshine

I know there might be a few detractors on Whispering Angel but this next tier up is actually very good.

15 Likes

You can tell from the light in the photo that I’m not in Blighty. We bought these bottles two years ago from the supermarket. The fruit in the Evel was slightly faded and it was developing some complexity. However, these wines are intended to be consumed soon after you buy them.

5 Likes

I do. I enjoyed it more on day 3

1 Like

Regarding the meaning of Vino Verde: there is occasionally a rose and a tinto but not many.

'tis a question I have oft-asked whilst visiting wineries there. Does it mean green wine, does it mean wine picked a bit early cos we’re worried about the mildew, or does it mean wine from the green country. Taking a poll of answers the third one outweighs the others though there are sometimes votes for the first two. TBF the region is very verdant and prolific with its growth of vines, trees and general jungle growth. Here’s a selfie from a bike ride in Melgaco at harvest time 2017. I definitely believe it’s “wine from the green country”, hence applies equally to reds and rosés

3 Likes

anyway back to Spain. Monistrell is in the Pla de Bages region ( extract from JR wine atlas hope that’s OK) and as expected the local supermarket in Manresa had a good stock. This wine is very very similar to a decent Cotes de Gascoigne and perfect with this dorade (sea bream) spinach and new spuds. (JR wine grapes confirms that picapoll blanc is the same as picpoul de pinet)

10 Likes

You think it has more to show as it gets further into its drinking window?

Might hold onto my others for a bit.

Glad to have tried it as I was a bit concerned based on the negative reviews elsewhere. Certainly not in that camp but I’m probably a 3/5 weighing up quality Vs price and overall enjoyment.

2 Likes

Actually out for a meal in a proper restaurant thing.

Albarino with oysters followed by filet Rossini with achaval ferrer malbec

10 Likes

Likewise I was a bit underwhelmed with the Anselma and have been reading others notes with interest.

For me I think the experience was due in part to some of the hype and finding that the wine didn’t live up to it for the price band. It just lacked something for me that I couldn’t quite put my fingers on. I enjoyed the exhibition Nebbiolo a bit more in comparison and would probably buy the exhibition rather than the anselma in future depending on how my second bottle turns out (and the anselma is I think more likely to go off the list first).

The first bottle of anselma started off quite promisingly on the nose but then seemed to die on me for a bit, as it warmed up perhaps I’m not sure. It did then improve for me with food and time, so I’ve given it the benefit of the doubt and I will probably decant my other bottle and see how it goes, perhaps in a couple of months.

4 Likes

I think so, based on my experience of a single bottle. I’ve also got two more, probably won’t open the next for another year. Will just have to get my Nebbiolo fix elsewhere for now.

2 Likes

Selflessly continuing my quest to reduce the number of 3/4 consumed Coravined bottles in my cellar…

Tonight it was a glass of this…

and a glass of that…

With spiced lamb burgers, wedges and mange tout (spicing from Simply Cook, veg from my allotment).

Rioja was all oak and coconut on the nose, but settled down to a lovely smooth strawberry note and very nice on the palate, went very well with the mildly spiced lamb.

The Crozes wasn’t as sweet fruit as the other night, and felt a little harsher after the smoothness of the Rioja, but still a pretty good drop. Finished off with the last half glass of the Rioja, still sipping it…it’s coming into a good place now, but you still have to like your oak for it.

23 Likes

I would highly recommend the Lasarin from Marcarini.
Great langhe and queenly priced. I buy most years

1 Like

Pre birthday treat at Noble Rot with a friend today. Food fantastic, had this with the main and a bit of the cheese.

Had a Greek pink fizz (Chatzivaritis & T Tullberg, Rosé 'Migma ) with the starter and a Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese with the desert.

The Barolo was perfect, sublime, the sparkler all strawberries and the Spatlese a wonderful counterbalance to the rich clotted cream and sweet tart.

24 Likes

I find that budget pinots can often be a bit jellybabyish, but this…

…was a bit more interesting. Deeper in colour than I was expecting, and its Languedoc origin shows in the sunny ripeness of the cherry fruit, but a grown-up side was there too, in the savoury edge on the nose and the gentle tannic squeeze on the palate.

Very pleased with this for under eight quid.

17 Likes

An actual meal in an actual restaurant with actual friends this evening - Noizé in Fitzrovia. We didn’t stint on the wine, which was fabulous - 2012 Kumeu River Hunting Hill Chardonnay, 2004 Rostaing Côte Rotie, and a probably unnecessary bottle of Artifice, from Tenerife, with cheese. The Artifice was recommended by the sommelier, I would never have chosen it myself, and it was great. But the Rostaing was the star of a very good show.

Jim

22 Likes

This was opened on Wednesday and finished yesterday…

…when I last tried it, two years ago, I was a tad disappointed., Although it was a well made wine with plenty of ripe black cherry and blackcurrant fruit it didn’t show much in the way of savoury pinot complexity.

It certainly didn’t disappoint this time around as further bottle age seems to have transformed it. The fruit character remained the same but complex forest floor / wet soil and slate-y mineral notes were now apparent too. Fresh acidity and light ripe tannins provided good structure and it had a lovely slippery mouthfeel.

It also made me think, as the human element and therefore prone to ups and downs, that my initial assessment of it was probably tosh in the first place !

14 Likes

Monday a rare evening when Mrs M isn’t playing bridge so I’ve taken the opportunity to book a table at Prime Steak & Grill to have fillet steak, chunky triple cooked chips and house salad -

and because they welcome BYO with no-charge on Monday, we had the excellent

2013 Ridge Lytton Springs (California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley)

74% Zinfandel, 16% Petite Sirah, 8% Carignan, 2% Mourvèdre. I prefer Zin to be blended with complementary varieties and this is beautiful, a real humdinger and unfortunately my last bottle of this vintage as it tastes so young vibrant and fresh it’s got a long way to go.

Tuesday Penne with homemade puttanesca sauce, mixed salad and no-brainer™
2019-Montepulciano

2019 Casa Vinicola Roxan The Wine Society’s Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (Italy, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo)

Wednesday we had a hamburger, rosemary chips and onion rings Deliverood from Honest Burger who make the best burger I’ve had in the UK.
20210705_weekday-wines-wed-2

I made a small side salad and to drink I opened

2018 Kanonkop Kadette Cape Blend (South Africa, Stellenbosch)

A blend of 37% Pinotage, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit
Verdot. Punching well above its price. At Kanonkop they ferment in low open top tanks and punch down the cap every 2 hours day and night for 3 days. Because of the massive demand for the Kadette range their team was overstretched, so cellar master Abrie, who’d visited Port lodges in Douro and there seen robot ‘feet’ punching down , got together with a local company to design and make mechanical feet to punch down the cap at the push of a button. The Estate range continues with manual push downs.

Thursday I cut cauliflower steaks and roasted them along with a few florets and some okra and made Tarka Daal to supply the moisture, and thought this would make a good match

2018 Producteurs Plaimont Moonseng (France, Côtes de Gascogne)

Very enjoyable wine, went down a treat. A blend of Merlot and an almost extinct variety revived by the producer, Manseng Noir.

And so ends another week. The reins are loosening; some are not waiting for freedom day but ignoring the restrictions - or interpreting them creatively (take your choice).

Hopefully Monday we’ll be clearly told what we can - and more importantly - can not do. The Govt Covid website is not clear on what is legally allowed and what is ‘guidance’.

(Kanonkop from Tesco, others from TWS)

21 Likes

That Moonseng is an interesting one Peter.