01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek drinking thread (5th July - 9th July)

Yes they are, they’re excellent imho

1 Like

The labeling for Heymann Lowenstein is always a bit confusing, they are not alone, as the front label doesn’t give in many cases an indication apart from site the category of the wine, the GG version has the same front label, and another not that easily purchased here.

1 Like

Thanks John
Yes, most German labels are confusing! German wine classification is dogged by obsession with must weights; the 1969/71 site reconstruction provisions that allowed grosslagen sites the same labelling as Einzellagen gave the consumer no help, and the VDP drive for hierarchical quality with Erste Lagen and Grosse Lagen although a step in the right direction adds yet another complex layer to an already difficult system.

2 Likes

Broke into this last night to accompany sweet chilli glazed chicken. Paired up nicely, and allowed me to try out my new Vacu Vin. Welcome to the wonders of 1986! Whatever next? A fifth TV channel, probably. :astonished:

7 Likes

At least with this one it is self explanatory, I opened this out of curiosity as the '19s are generally for the longer haul and this proved it, Tim Frohlich is one of my favorite producers and this is quite a basic wine from him in the Nahe.
Very full nose for a trocken wine with plenty of stone fruits mainly peach dominating the citrus element, but in the mouth an explosion of acidic grapefruit and other citrus, it really was that strong, quite a lot of length, very pale lemon straw colour, oh and screwcap, there a quite a few appearing now with top German wineries, good.
I am not like the Germans currently a lover of the overly acidic style that is the trend now, there is a limit for everything, but I put the bottle to one side for an hour and tried again and it had settled down and another hour it was not far off having subsided in all departments, even at entry level this needs a couple of years and it will be great, it’s all there now just needs a little time, very well made as usual by Schafer Frohlich, at the top of the game there at the moment.

10 Likes

Wednesdays are usually dry for us, but the daughter is away in Bath and I just had my second jab – so felt like shaking routine up a bit! :partying_face:

This bottle of the 2018 Lagrein from Hofstätter – which I think a few other members of this community like too – will accompany Wagyu burgers and chips later on:

This would be my house red, if I had such a category in existence. It packs a punch and has both form and substance. Very inky in the glass, the nose is brimming with plums, pepper, violets, clove, blackcurrants and a sort of pleasant ‘dustiness’.

On the palate it’s juicy, but with a good tannic grip and acidity to match, and bursts with fruit – there’s sour cherries, bramble jam and damsons. On the finish, there’s a sort of mirto liquor bitterness, which I so enjoy in wines from Alto Adige/Trentino. Good length and a lovely spiciness make this excellent value for money.

A sneaky glass of this rosé Vinho Verde for the chef:

Another absolute gem (not to say a bargain!) from the M&S ‘Found’ range. Delicate spritz, floral rose-like nose with strawberries and redcurrants in the mix too, and on the palate this is generous, lively, fruity - but with good acidity and absolutely quaffable. Strawberries, red forest berries but also something not unlike Turkish Delight dance on the palate. A perfect summer sip, even if summer has gone AWOL.

Happy (lucky?) Wednesday, all! :clinking_glasses:

18 Likes

Have been finishing off a couple of Coravined bottles this week…

This had mellowed a bit…and first impression was sweet fruit, almost Antipodean! Tannins almost gone. Quite a contrast to a couple of other Crozes recently drunk. Had it with shepherds pie and mange tout. Good match, but I hope that the next bottle retains a bit more of the savoury aspects.

Also Coravined this one…the cork was so dense it broke one of the needles! Bit of work with flytying pliers got it out.

Redcurrants, acidity, graphite…refreshing but lacks a bit of complexity. Pleasant, but not sure I’ll get it again.

Had a glass of this with lamb casserole.

From first bottle of six.

Deep dense purple in colour. Clearly very young. Quite resolved though, and tannins have softened for sure. Doesn’t have the rustic earthy touch that some St Joseph have. Quite pure Syrah without the gamier notes. Some fine tannin deposits made it into the first glass, so I had another. None in it. A big wine, feels every bit of its 14.5%. I liked it and I think and hope it will develop for a good few years yet.

21 Likes

For food and wine, the weather is a greater influence than the impending football (even though we’re hoping to watch if The Sleepless One permits it…). With sun arriving this afternoon and staying into the evening, I’m cooking chicken with lemon and potatoes (taters pulled from the garden a couple of hours ago) and chose a Vire-Clesse to go with it.

My last bottle of this, sadly, but I see the Society has some 2019 available which is tempting. Good fruit with a gentle lemon side, and otherwise just a lovely light white burgundy. This should be cracking with the food.

Edit: it did indeed work nicely. A pretty easy combo, to be honest, but tasty all the same.

14 Likes

And so, let us lay the ghost of the myth that “vinho verde” means “green wine”

Of course it doesn’t. It means “wine from the green lands” ie Portuguese Minho where it rains a lot and is always verdant

I mention this as TWS often blurbs about Alvarinho etc, always states it means green wine. Twits.

3 Likes

Anyway, back to basics. Tonight I’ve cooked pan fried dos de cabillaut (cod), buerre blanc with dill and lemon, sautéed leftover potatoes and fresh green haricots verts.
I used the local cotes de gascogne to make the sauce, thinking it would also go well with the plat principal, but as is often the case they have changed the cépages (dropped the ugni blanc and now it’s just colombard-sauvignon) and it’s not as appetising as it was last year. So is relegated to cooking wine status and thank Heavens for a nice English chardonnay to ride to the rescue (yes fair play, the latter was about x 4 as expensive)

14 Likes

Thanks for the Cotte Sud '15 TN.
I bought the '19, so good to know.
2015 a big Saint Joseph vintage, and so is 2019!! :dragon:

2 Likes

Not up here it’s not! Lovely couple of days, not hot, but dry, sunny, nice breeze and warm in the sunshine…

I am revising upwards my opinion on the Silice Mencia, having finished it off with an excellent home made pizza (Mrs C takes all the credit) topped with black olives, parma ham and mushrooms. It really hit the spot, the acidity scores here with the tomato, and it’s quite a light wine which helps.

5 Likes

Weather was ok at Tala Reservoir today.

19 Likes

Sorry, both! I’m clearly suffering from the usual SE England myopia :grimacing:

3 Likes

Had to look that word up. :confused:

2 Likes

A bottle of this watching the football and the rugby last night. Pretty good value. Pale gold with green tinge in the glass. Apple and subtle citrus with flint and stone. A nice streak of acidity.

8 Likes

Lovely crunchy elegant Barbera last night, with pizza in front of the football. Had the 2018 last year and was very impressed; this was also good value with a gorgeous nose and a gorgeous dried blueberry taste (although whether my Wembley nerves did it any favours I couldn’t say). Always impressed with Ciabot Berton’s wines.

(A little strategic: we can hardly drink Italian on Sunday, can we?)

10 Likes

Another Italian red last night. Think this outperforms most Sangioveses I’ve had at this price level. Balsamic cherry, strawberry and leather, fair length and as usual with Italian wine, great with the right food.

18 Likes

I think it does. It means ‘green’ in the sense of young. Colour of the wine is immaterial.

6 Likes

This is my understanding of the name as well:

Vinho Verde is not a grape variety, it is a DOC for the production of wine. The name means “green wine,” but translates as “young wine”, with wine being released three to six months after the grapes are harvested. They may be red, white or rosé, and they are usually consumed soon after bottling.

1 Like