01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek Drinking Thread [3rd to 6th February 2020]

Day Two of this:

Entry-level Mendoza syrah, why not. Think it was £8.50 from a little wine shop that recently opened in Ilminster.

Bright, fresh, floral nose with sweet fruits, more red than black. Incredibly soft on the palate, and missing a little of what the nose promised, but with a lovely tangy freshness that brings the glass straight back to the mouth. Yum.

12 Likes

Been a wine free week this week, and indeed a ‘dry’ week generally until tonight, when a Caol Isla 12 year old unaccountably ended up in my glass…I had looked for the Kilkerran but it was all gone…first time I’ve tried it and it’s a mighty fine dram.

9 Likes

A gift from one of my US colleagues last year, great with sausages and mash:

It has plenty of personality…very big and bold. Dark inky purple, brooding black fruit, cigar box, toothy tannins, and a healthy dose of alcohol. All in, it’s a bit of a belter!

10 Likes

Just opened our first bottle of this. Fantastic! A rich nose, smooth plumb dominated palate, and a very long multi layered finish.
Very slight fading on the rim. Not sure that I’ll hang onto the other bottles for many more years, but it has made me consider buying more in the EP offer. But will I have the patience to age it again now I now how good it can be ?!?

12 Likes

Something light and refreshing with my usual midweek stir fry…

…a Brauneberger Juffer Kabinett 2018 from Schloss Lieser. Obviously still youthful with more to come. TWS notes probably influenced mine but I also noted sweet ripe peach and yellow plum aromas and flavours. Surprisingly rich at this stage for a Kabinett there was also a hint of something like caramel toffee on tasting. Racy acidity pulls everything together and provides both freshness and balance. A lovely wine, but to be critical, its spongy wide grained cork doesn’t inspire confidence. A problem that could easily be avoided by closing with a screwcap.

It stood up well to the food but a light red would have been a better match with the black bean paste and oyster sauce in the dish…

7 Likes

I don’t have much experience of SA wines, only really noticed them after visiting there twice last year for work. Did find some nice ones, but was a bit mixed when visiting various vineyards.

@Inbar when are you coming to visit me?

2 Likes

Ahhh - it would be lovely to meet you in the flesh, @cgoldin! :grinning:
My visits these days are so brief, though, that the family monopolises my every minute. I just about managed to organise an army reunion this time…!
Are you in Zichron? Maybe we should liaise next time…? I’m in Hod Ha’Sharon, so not too far… :+1:

Yes - a stone’s throw from the winery (not that I recommend it really)…you’re welcome any time @Inbar and I don’t need much notice!

1 Like

It’s a date next time I’m here, Colin! :clinking_glasses: :grinning:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Midweek Drinking Thread [10th to 13th February 2020]