01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread [3rd to 6th February 2020]

midweek-drinks

Back in my van in Chamonix and a whole hour ahead so I guess that’s why I’m opening this thread! So to celebrate I’m opening this bottle of 2017 Avalanche, which I bought last year and now, for reasons too complicated to explain, have accidentally brought back to France:

It’s been a while since I had a Savoie mondeuse. Think syrah on steroids. Lovely pepper and berries, smooth and full flavoured. Even better integrated than last year. I still have one more at home and will take another couple home with me.

Weekday drinking thread [3 to 6 February 2020]
Weekday drinking thread 03-06 February 2020

A glass of Southern Rhône tonight in memory of Sully.

St Gervais Les Rouvieres Cotes du Rhone Villages Domaine Ste Anne 2015… supposedly entering its drinking window. Safe to say it has a long long way to go, but so attractive in its mouth puckering infancy. Might just order the 2018 EP and also forget about the rest of my 2015s for a good few years.

This is such good value, lovely mature spicy nose. Lots going on for the money, an archetypal good old fashioned Italian red.

That’s another of my repeat favourites! :clinking_glasses:

Always feel a little self-conscious contributing to these threads on a Monday, but I attended another tasting at The Winery tonight, scheduled a bit early in the month due to availability of the winemaker here tonight.

So, midweek (Monday?) drinking begins here:
image image

A really nice selection across the board tonight, starting with the Sekt. A smidgeon of residual sugar in the wine, despite the brut label really rounded this off, a lovely opener.

Both dry rieslings were great, the first one edged it for me, a little more complexity to contemplate while sniffing and sipping.

I also enjoyed all 3 Gerwurztraminers, which surprised me as I don’t always get on with this grape, particularly without food. The Italian was very approachable, spicy and creamy. The Pfirmann was off-dry, beautiful and aromatic without being too much for me. The Zimmerling GG was intense, racy and long in the palate.

I then bumped into the winemaker and totally monopolised her time, keen to learn about her Fleurie.

Her vines are on the steepest hillside in the Cru, but she’s in the process of building 25 terraces to make the farming a bit easier. Totally organic at the moment, she’s keen to make the switch to biodynamic, but that’s for a little way in the future.

2017 was apparently quite a rough vintage, stressful for her vines, which left her grapes very small. However, this meant the juice was really concentrated, which is evident in both wines. After a year in barrel and a year in bottle, they’re just starting to open out. Intense fruit with tannic backbone that I’d not have guessed was in a Gamay. Lots of swirling evened things out nicely.

I enjoyed both, not had a Fleurie with so much oomph before. Anne-Sophie put me firmly back in my box when I told her I wasn’t aware that Fleurie had much ageing potential, she reckons these could quite comfortably last for 10 years, kept somewhere dark and peaceful; a consequence of those tiny concentrated grapes.

Just realised that this is one of three midweek drinking threads (must be a February already)!

Don’t suppose someone with mentor-level super powers could shut this one down and transfer my ramblings over to the original.

Thanks

All done for you.

I really like this one, I bought one bottle, then six, then twelve. The oak is quite dominant to my taste though, strong vanilla which will not be to everyone’s liking.

How is it you have Mentor-level dominion without the title?

Are you the Mentor-Supreme?

:laughing: No, I don’t even wish to be. I am just an Ex-Mentor still entrusted with the ‘dominion’.

I actually have the title, just don’t use it as I am ex.

Emeritus…

The husband is making wild boar sausages in red wine sauce with pasta this evening, so I thought I’d open one of my favourite red blends from Alto Adige - Moratèl - made by the Cesconi brothers. This is the 2014 vintage:

The blend is made of 40% Lagrein, 40% Merlot, 10% Teroldego and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. The nose is incredible - full of plums, dark cherries, bramble pie, cedar, clove and cinnamon. The palate is a classical Alto Adige - fresh and on the sour fruit spectrum, with notes of wild berries, blackberries, red plum, baking spice and violets. There’s a real tannic backbone, with grainy texture to the tannins and a medium plus acidity. This could go on for a few more years, I reckon.

Alas! this is just too fresh, tannic and ‘sour’ for the husband, who is seeking comfort with some Cabernet Franc instead! I guess all the more for me.

Off to Israel for a short visit on Thursday, and sounds like there’s a local Viognier awaiting for me in my sister’s fridge… here I come! :+1: :clinking_glasses:

Weekend drinking thread 31 Jan to 2 Feb 2020

Sipping this tonight with some rolled belly pork and an apricot and apple stuffing.

Cheese to follow with this recently bought from TWS which is delightful hints of spice and brambles

Exactly a) what i love about the Society and b) why I ventured into the small wonders vcp.

I almost never buy SA wines, and generally avoid the reds at all cost, but this is quite lovely. Even at 14% not as rich as a Rhone equivalent, but charming, soft, gentle with a hint of sweetness and a suggestion of spice. Calming red fruit flavours to soothe and delight.

Ah, if you liked this Spice Route offering, I reckon you’ll like their ‘Chakalaka’:

Sadly, no longer available on TWS list, though.

How was the olive oil?!

Bit oily

For £8… this was a tasty drop. A little lean - in a good way. Great with 20min in the fridge. And a very refreshing 12.5% (great for mid-week supping).

Out of interest, why do you avoid SA reds at all costs?

There is - or was, but it’s still there in a lot of wines - a certain funkiness I really dislike. There are exceptions, such as this, but I don’t feel like taking the risk ever when there are so many wonderful wines in the world.