01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek drinking thread (30 - 4) Nov/Dec 2020

Ok so maybe a little indulgent for a Monday night but you only retire once :grinning:

Great accompaniments for shrimp croquetas, coq au vin and pistachio creme brulée. Here’s to spending more time with Linda and out on my bike :clinking_glasses:

56 Likes

Enjoy your retirement!

2 Likes

I’d be retiring twice if that was my reward!

6 Likes

Great News. Go at it with all guns blazing, oh, I see you are. Do not allow anyone to persuade you to come out of retirement.

4 Likes

If being slightly critical, the Chambolle could do with a few more years.

We did abandon any wine drinking with the brulée but finishing off the Chambolle now.

4 Likes

Congratulations! :tada: :grinning:
So envious… Carpe Diem! :+1:

3 Likes

Many congratulations :champagne: May your retirement be long and fulfilling.

4 Likes

Congrats :tada:
I am sure you will enjoy every minute…

4 Likes

Many congrats.
best wishes for a long and healthy retirement

4 Likes

Here here! Can’t wait either. Enjoy

3 Likes

Welcome to the retirement club. Don’t worry, before too long you will wonder how you fitted in going to work :grinning:

7 Likes

Another mid-week thread and I’m pondering what to have a little tipple of in a couple of days time. I do try to have 3 and preferably 4 days a week completely alcohol free, but hasten to add that I am only human and very, very, very occasionally fail :sunglasses: Especially when sailing in the Greek Isles with the boys and still can’t really believe that we made it to Corfu in September this year! I blame the wonderful chilled Mythos on that occasion (but it tastes disgusting anywhere other than its country of birth in my opinion). Great hair Mike! Shocking cut-off jeans job David!

So anyway, back on piste! What to have mid-week?

I popped down into the wine cellar to have a rummage. I don’t know about you but I am fond of having a poke about to see what floats my boat (pardon the terrible pun!) and I spotted it!

Wine Cellar contamination.

I panicked. I don’t know what to do. Is this serious?

It would appear to be some sort of Oriental infection. Advice sought urgently! :flushed:

Oh! And the mid-week tipple? A large Salcombe gin with a slice of pink grapefruit and an Elderflower tonic to steady my nerves!

17 Likes

What no springbank… My favourite

3 Likes

It begins!

The first door reveals … a Rioja.

Not much happening on the nose but the palate is fun, with ripe, dark fruits and a bit of baking spice. Nicely balanced with a little bit of grip and a sweet, lingering finish.

A tasty start to Advent :wine_glass:

32 Likes

I can’t see the time-stamp on that photo… Did you open yours at the same time your kids opened theirs?

12 Likes

Can we have review 2 at 9am tomorrow please. :+1:

10 Likes

I’ve drunk it all! It’s on the list to replace when I am allowed to add to the (mostly Scottish) collection by Lady Brentw1. Lovely drop from Archibald Mitchell’s illicit still site in Campbeltown :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

5 Likes

Celebrating reaching state pension age! This tonight

Clearly on the downslope (as is the wine :wink:) but not showing too much oxidation, nutty and yeasty with some honey character (drier rather than sweeter) and still with a little fizz. Age shows most on the finish which is short and a bit on the caramel side.

29 Likes

Joie de vivre is in short supply at the moment, and my brain is fried from a hard day of listening to students’ difficulties – but there’s certainly some joie de vivre in this bottle this evening, despite not quite being the third Thursday of November:

This is fun (candy floss), fruity (cherry, cranberry, red plum), floral (violets), silly (‘Nesquick banana milkshake’, said the husband) with the right amount of acidity, and invites simple pleasure, without too much (any?) need for contemplation. Which is fine with me! Contemplation gets me nowhere at the moment.

Anyway, Philip the Bold was so wrong… Gamay rocks, even in its humblest form! :wine_glass: :relieved:

24 Likes