01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread 28th to 31st March 2022

whereas the year to come…

1 Like

Exactly. And I consider myself fortunate - plenty have shut up shop or worse.

Masses of work to go at. Visited a joinery factory yesterday that was rammed with work in progress, they had order books full up to July. I suspect that 2022/23 will be a year of significant winners and losers.

3 Likes

The husband will shortly be making some Flammekueche/Tarte Flambée, so I opened this bottle of Sylvaner - first bottle of two:

Sylvaner ‘Weinbaum’, Trimbach, AOC Alsace, 2020

Bought after a tasting at Trimbach back in November - we both loved its generosity of fruit and supple texture. I seem to remember the lady leading the tasting telling us that this was the first vintage of this particular bottling, but I may have made this up (it’s not in my notes, at any rate :face_with_raised_eyebrow:).

Made from a very small plot of old vines in Ribeauvillé, what I do remember is that we were told that the production is very very small. And wow! this really is a delightful (dare I say, serious?) expression of a grape that tends not to excite people much.

The nose is delicate, with notes of Almond blossom, ripe pears and apples, and a nice spicy note (ginger?). On the palate this is smooth and rounded, with notes of baked apple, ripe pears and delicate honey, with a touch of spice on the fairly long finish. It’s mellow and soothing and absolutely lovely! A real food wine :ok_hand:

Hope everyone is having a good Tuesday! :slightly_smiling_face: :clinking_glasses:

24 Likes

Loved the translation on the website - a dry, fruity wine which seduces with its gluttony - I’m sold !

Seriously, both your wine and food tonight sound great :yum:

2 Likes

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/spatburgunder-marienglas-unterturkheimer-gips-2018

The 2014 of this was very good indeed. Now with a price cut. The Kunstler half should be good as well but I have only had their more simple cuvees

3 Likes

Hee hee! Well, they know the inhabitants of our house well! :smiley:

1 Like

There are a few interesting Sylvaners on the W/S site atm…

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/silvaner-pur-mineral-furst-2020
https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/sylvaner-reserve-millesime-domaine-rolly-gassmann-2019
https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/sylvaner-leon-beyer-2020
https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/alsace-sylvaner-comtes-de-ribeauville-vieilles-vignes-cave-de-ribeauville-2019

Already got a bottle of the Furst and going to order the Rolly Gassmann next time (hope more R-G wines make an appearance soon!) Guess they are at the opposite end of what the grape can do if its treated seriously!

4 Likes

Second night in Norwich and another great meal accompanied by an English wine. This time it was Japanese at Shiki, which the BBC good food site said was the best Japanese food in the UK. I do not have the experience to say that but we both thought the food superb. Even better, they listed the Winbirri Bacchus made just outside Norwich - a wine that previously won a Decanter Platinum Award for the 2015 vintage.

Very pale, almost colourless. Medium nose. Floral. White musk. Orange peel. Peach. Notes of grapefruit. Light palate. Fresh acidity. Dry. Lemon, peach, grapefruit. Notes of musk and spice. Passion fruit. Long finish. Perfect match to the varied dishes we enjoyed.
I have also got the I presión that the food scene in this city is buzzing - from the varied dishes in the open market to excellent restaurants with good wine lists in the evening.

15 Likes

Yay - I submit another very enthusiastic vote for Winbirri’s Bacchus.

1 Like

Meanwhile the Peru saga continues… As anticipated we ran into two strike road blocks but the police had forced a single carriage through-way for private cars and we only had an hour delay in the end.

on the other hand once relieved of the sprawling Arequipa conurbation the road over the high plateau (4980m) of the Pampa Canahuas, was a delight - in excellent condition and pretty deserted. There is a vicuna reserve here, which is the wild ancestor of the alpaca which posed obligingly by the roadside.

And so, to Colca Resort near Yanque where there are hot springs and a decent bar. This blanc is pretty nice and just what the Dr ordered, whilst ToH avails herself to a Swedish massage. tomorrow a trip to the canyon’s view points and hopefully sightings of the condors.

26 Likes

In my limited experience, Sylvaner can be delicious and more complex than most people expect. Sounds a wonderful wine! Really fancy visiting Alsace again and doing some walking.
Hope you soon feel stronger, more whole and less stressed - take care, Inbar.

9 Likes

…however I would put it out there that the best sylvaner comes from Franken / Wurtzburg in Germany.

2 Likes

Bringing back some great memories there. Some years ago (nearly 20 I think) I went to that area as part of a mainly trekking trip to Peru. Whilst at Arequipa we climbed El Misti (the volcano overshadowing Arequipa) and did a multi day trek starting from the Colca canyon. And we did get to see the condors at the canyon. Spectacular and the people in the remote villages we passed through were so welcoming and helpful. Really great memories! Hope you have a wonderful time despite the strikes!

10 Likes

Agreed, I guess mostly because its planted in all the best sites, whereas in Alsace, its usually an afterthought (there’s a lot of varietal competition there!)

Still missing the mixed box by Wirsching that the WS used to sell but Furst are a good grower and I’m looking forward to that, guess the fact its in a “normal” bottle helps as well.

Edit

Looks like the Wirsching wines are back!

1 Like

Wednesday @ 18:16 and, yes it’s snowing outside ! proper white fluffy stuff.

Fortunately, all afternoon I’ve been poaching a home-cured pork shoulder joint (a kilo+ so not that extravagant) - with steamed potatoes & parsley sauce.

Possibly not the right wine, but it’s in the fridge & open: Côtes-du-Rhône Rosé, Guigal 2020.

14 Likes

Well, this is a nice surprise!

Mas de Rey l’Esprit Camargue, Bouches-du-Rhône Terre de Camargue 2020

A blend of Syrah, Cab Franc and Marselan (the proportions are not mentioned), but tasted blind, I would have said Gamay. Someone on the website mentioned light Spanish Garnacha- which I could also imagine mistaking this for. But anyway – it’s lovely, light, fresh and very very moreish.

Pale ruby, the nose first hits with floral notes – maybe rose petals or violets, but then it’s all about the berries (strawberries, hedgerow berries, cranberries) and s touch of the medicinal.

Lively and juicy on the palate – it is picnic wine par excellence. Light, but with medium acidity and earthy tannins in the background; it’s got cranberry and bramble notes, with a floral back note and a little menthol flourish on the (short-ish) finish. Delightful and easy to enjoy, the husband called it a ‘session wine’. But maybe it’s because he likes his session ale and always looks for equivalents in wine.

Charming stuff and will be a re-order for summer! :+1: :grinning:

17 Likes

Thank you for your note Inbar. This has been on my wishlist for a while and will now be on the next order!

1 Like

Couldn’t help but be reminded of my dad in that respect !

Despite an inauspicious start on opening when the nose put me in mind of dust and dark chocolate and the palate was dominated by acidity, with fruit absent on both, this is now, appropriately, beginning to show more in the way of charm…

…a Morgon ‘Les Charmes’ 2017 from J-M Burgaud. Which is quite different, and less structured, to their ‘Cote du Py’ bottling I’m more familiar with.

Notes of damp soil and wet leaves with plummy, black cherry fruit on the nose. Similarly flavoured, medium bodied, dark fruits with a savoury undertow, fresh acidity and slightly dusty drying tannins to structure on tasting. Quite rustic presently but by no means unpleasant. Can’t help but wonder if further development will become apparent in due course. Good but not great so far.

19 Likes

Ooh, I’ve been waiting for this :slight_smile: That’s an easy buying decision…

Another big impact of the varietal competition in Alsace, is that in all Grands Crus except Zotzenberg, it can’t be labelled as such, as it’s not riesling, pinot gris, muscat or gewurztraminer. Hence, those varieties immediately command a higher price, and are therefore much more attractive to plant.

On the flip side, Jean-Frédéric Hugel once said to us that much Alsatian sylvaner comes from old vines, as there is very little new planting. We’ve found it well worth seeking out sylvaner made by those who take it seriously, as it can, indeed, make excellent wine. Dirler-Cadé make a good Vieilles Vignes, and their Cuvée Heisse Wanne is grown on the Grand Cru Kessler. Muré make a couple of excellent examples, including Cuvée Oscar from the Clos Saint-Landelin, as do Burn. Those are just a few. And there are at least two (Josmeyer and Loew), from an unusual pink-skinned mutation.

11 Likes

I’ve found myself with one of these open tonight - a 2019 Château Lamothe Saint Germain.

Long story short - the wine was a wrong WS delivery some months ago, but I was invited to keep it with COVID prohibiting much moving around etc.

It’s sat on a shelf in our kitchen ever since, and could have stayed there for decades probably. However, we needed a cooking wine for some stew for this evening, and this was conveniently to hand and seemed just the job. But lo & behold when I gave it a cheeky brief taster this afternoon - actually really not bad, and a bit of a winner for the price. Balanced, fruity, earthy & tasty. Some for the pot and some for the table with the pot.

14 Likes