01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread [28 to 31 October 2019]

midweek-drinks

A 2017 Vouvray Sec for us this evening, to go with pork cutlets and mash:

We had the 2017 demi-sec version of this Château Moncontour, which we both really enjoyed – so were curious to try their Sec version. The drier version is obviously less rich and oily on the palate, but has everything one would expect from a good dry Loire Chenin: lovely nose of ripe orchard fruit (apple, quince), white peach and white flowers; similar notes follow on the palate with a nice smoky/flinty note as well as a bit of mellow honey in the background; what holds it all together nicely is that crisp acidity, which makes Chenin so mouth-watering and food friendly.

Not overly sophisticated - there aren’t many layers of flavour here – but it is well made and makes for a pleasurable mid-week tipple. The other half’s only complaint is that it is not a ‘hug me’ sort of wine for what is a very cold evening. Ah well - no hugs will have to do! :smile:

What is in your glass this midweek?..

Actually drinking a Yalumba Organic Chardonnay which cost a mighty £6 the other day. I pretty much have to agree with the label notes “jam-packed with melon, peach, and ripe stone fruit characteristics finishing fresh and clean”. Last night mainly melon and peach, today a bit more stone fruit.
Not terribly complex but pleasing and refreshing to drink, and astonishing vfm.

This is really fabulous, ill look out for the 2017. There’s a red from the same stable in stock from 2007, wish I’d known when placing my latest order. If this is anything to go by I’d snap it up.

Alcohol free yesterday and today so nothing to report wine wise apart from vicarious pleasure reading your updates :smirk:

Second last bottle of this and hoping we see it back on the list sometime soon again . In a word “lovely” :yum:

I should have been alcohol free on Monday but the food demanded wine. Had the same meal yesterday too, bucatini with clams, both times with a Pinot Blanc. The Italian food and wine police might not be happy though…

… the wine in the glass is Austrian and from Birgit Braunstein. I know I’ve said it before but if I was to taste this blind I would swear it was a decent Chablis. A really lovely wine but better suited to fish than shellfish and pasta.

The German one from Julg was up my street too. Clean, refreshing and full flavoured with a delicious chalky bite. It paired well with the food, as it would with all manner of lighter dishes. Although I received it by mistake, and was credited for it, I would happily buy / try it again.

Also had a glass of this last night:

so glad I got a case of the 2017! This is great fun. All I love about Rhone. Great fruit, some smoky bacon, and a lipsmacking fresh finish. Looking forward to the rest of it tonight.

We are slowly working our way through a case of the 2011 and really enjoying it. Oh just noticed that ours is Cuvee des Templiers not Saint Roch. Same producer though.

Don’t normally drink on a “school” night but am off this week so I opened this to go with lamb koftas

Very easy drinking Crozes. Fruit and a hint of spice. Does fade quite quickly, but am very happy given how much it costs.

Basic rule - drink red burgundy in the first three years or leave it ten. But I wanted a Burgundy hit and the producer has a reputation for wines that don’t shut down. Lovely ripe fruit, still quite primary and very sleek but in no way lightweight. Cries out for food and so attractive it’s difficult to see it seeing out the next hour…

I’m on gin tonight … ALL the gin ! My car which I’ve had for 4 weeks was stolen last night :see_no_evil::confused:!

That’s awful Leah. You’ve had dreadful luck with cars this year. Hope the misery is transferred to whichever scumbag nicked your car.

I loved visiting this vineyard, this summer. Very passionate and dedicated wine making. Clos des Cazaux is certainly worth a visit!

Jeez, as @Brocklehurstj says, you’ve not been having much auto luck recently. My sympathies!

Oh, Leah! What a p in the a for you! :weary:
Hope your insurance can sort it out quickly! :crossed_fingers:

A little Assyrtiko tonight from the island of Tinos. It is beautiful, there is white pepper and smooth toffee and great fruit and sweet brioche… sadly running out of bottles. Just the drink to help mulling over my 2018 Mark Haisma order.

I feel for you @Leah - Commiserations!

That’s a bloody pain! Good luck getting things sorted out.

I thought stealing cars was something from the previous millennium… seems I am wrong. Hope this turns out okay for you.

Apparently not :confused:… stolen from outside the door :see_no_evil:. I literally drove my last car into the ground and this was the nicest car I’ve ever owned pretty much . If only I’d caught them with a pair of hot Port tongs …