01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek drinking thread (26th to 30th April)

Tonight chez nous, cultural misappropriation goes far east. East being a usefully vague word.

The star wine is TWS Beaujolais Blanc, this is VERY good, the buyer has been on their toes here. If you are a white Burgundy person… this might be of interest.

ALL ROOM TEMPERATURE, far-east buffet:
Vietnamese(?) dressing involving: lime juice, fish sauce, rice vinegar, chilli oil, shallots, soy sauce, brown sugar.
Cold water prawns. Next time I might omit (or char grille)
Courgettes yellow and green ribbons with mint & chives & yellow tomato.
Cold edame & soy noodles, blanched bok choi, cherry tomatoes.
Beaujolais blanc.
Duck eggs, soft boiled.
Smoked Duck.

Bagel topping. with sesame and nigella and all manner of crunchy bits. Should have been toasted peanuts but I didn’t have any.

Eating… being mostly raw & blanched, flavours are enhanced… everything turned up to 11. Happy Monday evening everyone.

26 Likes

A glass of the 2014 Musar which my dad had open, very rich and concentrated. Very nice, indeed, probably won’t try it again for another 10 years. Have 3 tucked away for the future.

19 Likes

Incidentally. The knife is superb… very thin and light, best for slicing not chopping. Sharpens to a razor edge. And VERY cheap. I have no association with them.

6 Likes

Mr JayKay’s birthday today so not the usual alcohol free day. We ordered a meal from Cote to mark Mr JK’s second lockdown birthday and enjoyed it with a 2006 vintage champagne from Sainsbury’s

And then a beautiful Cote Rotie

The food was very good, especially the starter - prawns gratinee- and dessert - pain Perdue. The mains, Guinea fowl and wild mushroom risotto- were good foils for the Cote Rotie. Contrary to the description on the TWS website it was indeed delicate and light - and also beautiful and ready to drink. Lovely tertiary aromas and violets and in the mouth smooth tannins, black fruits and spice. Gorgeous.

29 Likes

That sounds delicious - especially the violets bit with the Guinea fowl and wild mushroom risotto. Might copy that combination ! Happy b’day.

2 Likes

Had a taste-off last night between 2 English - made Bacchus wines. I like Bacchus very much and other Chatterers will know that good examples from ripe vintages are very good substitutes for Sauvignons, even though Bacchus is a close relative of Riesling.

The starter was a home made cod mousse / salmon terrine and the Winbirri was perfect with it, and could easily have been a decent Touraine.

Then dipping into the Litmus for the main, which was home-made chicken, leek and asparagus pie in wild garlic sauce… The Litmus is made by Denbies and is supposed to be an amber wine, the blurb says it’s fermented and rested on skins for 16 weeks. I anticipated the additional tannic grip and cooked apple notes I associate with amber wines might work with such a dish.

It certainly, and predictably, was a better match than the Winbirri for that, but it is not really an amber wine as I’ve become accustomed to, the colour is a bit weedy and there is little in the way of tannic structure. Whilst perfectly agreeable I would struggle to call this an amber wine if just presented with a glass of it. The Winbirri is a much better wine in terms of what it sets out to be, clean, crisp, acidity-balanced with some nice floral, herby and citrous notes.

11 Likes

I will give it a try (just placed an order). I had heard of Kom Kom knives before. I am also looking for a new set of steak knives, so any recommendations are welcome.

Beware, the pics are not always correct to the knife you get ! they take an edge exceedingly well so I always give them a go on the steel sharpener before use. No weight at all, so not at all like a German / French chef’s knife.

Salt marsh lamb steaks for lunch. Yet to be cooked…

Wine is a beauty with youthful tannic grip.

17 Likes

Wusthof classic series
I cannot fault them

1 Like

I have a 20cm Wüsthof Dreizack (same company??) which I use for almost everything along with a small Sabatier paring knife which I loathe but never seem to get around to replacing (I have an aversion to replacing something that’s not broken even if I hate it!!!). The Chef’s knife is about 25 years old and I love it to death!

I had a set of 6 Wusthof steak knives with hard plastic handles, but now the tips ar broken and the plastic handles damaged or cracked. Very much as a result of using a dishwasher to clean them.

Me too! Although, when I replace something, I don’t always do it like for like. Like, when I replaced my habit of drinking Dujac on every festive occasion, I went with a much cheaper alternative. :laughing:

2 Likes

The thing with that Sabatier paring knife is that when you set it to one side it is weighted such that more often than not it balances perfectly on its back with the sharp edge facing up. Not the safest way to leave a sharp knife on a kitchen surface! I really should replace it. It’s extraordinary that I’ve never cut myself on it when it’s sat like that (I have one hand firmly touching wood…).

1 Like

£80+ is a tad squeeky. Compared to £12 for the Kom-Kom - I’m not saying the Wusthof isn’t worth it (not having owned one). I cant find it now but there are some interesting web comparisons between Far East & Western Europe style knives, quite different beasts.

I gave up on Sabatier some years ago - expensive, not dishwasher proof, didn’t hold an edge.

3 Likes

Kicking off tonight with this - I wasn’t expecting a massive amount (I was slightly nonplussed by a couple of other wines from the same producer) but this is really fantastic. Just off dry, tonnes of ripe citrus and stone fruit alongside florality and more mineral notes, great intensity on the nose and in the mouth. I get an almost cassis-like note on the nose, unexpected but enjoyable.

11 Likes

So, late Tuesday lunch. It’s pre-made leftover mildly spicy lamb patties, red pepper, tomato and chorizo sauce (recipe available on request), buttery leeks and this Gorgeous Bulgarian wine we bought on our travels in September 2019. It was sooo delicious, the evaporation factor was well above 10.

“Melnik” needs a head got around it I recall. This one is mainly “Melnik” which is, according to JR Wine Grapes, Ranna Melnishka Loza, plus some Petit Verdot and Broad-Leaf Melnik aka Shiroka Melnishka which ripens a couple of weeks earlier.

Yeah it was all explained to us when we visited but… you forget these things. But it was so nice, velvety, dark fruity, mellow yet tannic. The nicest wine I’ve had in the last fortnight maybe longer. It certainly led me to reflect on the rewarding legacy of visiting a place, drinking in the ambience, doing the tasting, buying the bottles, taking home, keeping and opening again a few years later - and bringing it all back home again.

Pics are today’s offerings and then of our visit to Orbelus

22 Likes

A 2018 Juliénas this evening in preparation (not to say, anticipation!) for the Cru Beaujolais event with Tim Sykes in less than half an hour:

This is lovely! medium ruby, the nose is a pleasing assortment of flowers (peony, violets), red fruit (cherries, strawberries, raspberries) plus a whiff of the potting shed. On the palate, this is gossamer-light (“I’ve drunk heavier Tavels,” said the husband), with a fruity mouthful of cherries, pomegranate and strawberries, but a nice savoury edge too and that earthy note in the back.

Great balance between acidity (bright) and tannins (velvety) and a touch of spice too. Not the longest finish, but an absolutely delicious Bojo! :heart_eyes:

Looking forward to hearing Tim’s wisdom on the subject… :wine_glass: :smile:

22 Likes

I don’t think any knife will keep sharp and last long if put in the dishwasher.
I wash all my knifes by hand

2 Likes

Dishwasher will destroy any knife.
I don’t have steak knifes, years ago I got a set of 3 which includes a chefs knife. Hand wash only and sharpened with 2 different whetstone

1 Like