01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread [26th to 29th August 2019]

midweek-drinks

Opened this yesterday:

Not a very exciting wine to open the midweek thread but it’s a good, reliable and very well priced easy drinker.

Helped me recover after I rather overstretched myself hill walking in the Cairngorms (in my somewhat out of condition current state). Over ten hours from leaving the car to getting back into it. I was ready for something easy to accompany the soak in the bath! :sunglasses::rofl:

One of my all time favourite places! Where abouts were you? Many years ago I lived in Nethybridge and still miss it :confused:

Picked this up in a supermarket earlier on, hoping for good things :blush:

We opened this on Sunday and will be finishing it tomorrow. Today is alcohol free :innocent:

I know it seems crazy to be drinking a Sauvignon Blanc from a Vouvray outlet, but it is very nice! It was our last buying stop en route for home on a Sunday morning. We wanted to taste and buy some Vouvray, which we did, and got tempted by this lovely SB as well, as you do !

Brought a couple of these home last year @JayKay, perfect aperitif and easy drinking :+1:.

I’m not the biggest SB fan, but this last night was really rather good:

Intensity & complexity, but not too in-your-face: lemon & lime, apricot, grapefruit, passion fruit, mango even - very sweet fruited, with bitter balance though - plus gentle grassy notes. Very nice with salmon fishcakes!

It’s probably not my favourite area I prefer going farther north (Torridon, Assynt, Fisherfield etc) which tends to get me away from the crowds and is pretty easy to do as I live north of Inverness anyway. However I do love getting out there especially in the Summer occasionally as it’s more normally a winter condition haunt for me.

I went from the Sugar Bowl (below the ski resort) through the Chalamain gap and up the Lairig Ghru past the Pools of Dee and up the NE ridge of Angel’s Peak (grade 2 scramble). Quick detour to the top of Cairn Toul where I realised I was now already kxxxxxxxd and still had to go over Braeriach, back across the Lairig Ghru, through the Chalamain Gap and back to the sugar bowl car park. I was not going fast when I finally got back! 27km and nearly 1700m of ascent :sweat_smile:

Enjoyed this yesterday with a roast guinea fowl supreme, roasted veg and red pesto pasta…

The blurb sums it up well. I also thought it had a touch of rosehip on the palate, something I’m beginning to associate with this grape, which gave it some individuality too.

After recent claiming I wasn’t stalking @NickFoster , it actually appears that I am. Thanks for the review, I had no idea that Gamza and Kadarka are the same grape. It went straight on the wish list as a result.

A cheeky wee glass of Gruner Veltliner to go with artichoke and pasta … I think it stands up very nicely to serving straight from the fridge

Back in Uruguay at the moment and came across this Tannat Cemento from the Eden vineyards near Punta del Este. No oak, just fermented and matured in concrete vats - similar to Zuccardi’s Concreto Malbec from Argentina.

It is fascinating trying these wines as they are marketed as providing a real expression of fruit, unmodified by oak flavours.

My notes were:
Clear and bright. Deep red centre - opaque. Red/purple rim. Clean nose. Intense black fruit. Clean palate. Great fruit/acidity balance. Blackberry, black currant and mulberry. Full. Very smooth. A great example of a serous wine that has not seen oak. Very good.

Anyone tried this?

Picked up a bottle in the showroom today - no reason, just liked the tasting note - and it’s really going down very well. So fresh yet textured, the citrusy fruit elevated by a little spicy/herby thing going on - just ace!

This is fantastic:

You won’t mistake it for a Barolo - it’s light and fruity with the merest hint of leather. Refreshing acidity, soft tannin, decent finish. This is a fun Nebbiolo that you could enjoy very slightly chilled. A bit of a cracker for this price, I reckon. Definite reorder!

This is a tip -top dry muscat at a very good price. Lots of concentration, but lovely freshness and balance, muscat grapeyness, also tangerine and spice. Good with a Thali takeaway. New to me but a definite reorder.( I wrote that before reading Bargainbob’s post!)

This was a very good way to celebrate some good news at work today:

2010 Blanc de Noirs from Wiston Estate.

Definite reorder… :wink:

Just opened the last bottle I have of this…

Bought EP in about 2008 and not tasted prior to choosing the wine (In fact it was my first Rasteau)., it has mellowed into a delicious, smooth, fruity, but also leathery and aromatic wine. There is enough acidity to be lively, but it also has subtle, mature tannins with a sweet note. It wears its alcohol very well. Superb and a great buy at the time - glad that I gave it a go.

I feel this was recommended by someone here but I can’t find who

Anyway, I really quite enjoyed it. Not of a style I’d associate with any other PN. A little raspberry, touch of bitterness. Hint of herbs. Just tasted well put together

I drank the same yesterday and very much enjoyed it ( it didn’t make it to day two as intended ). Refreshing white peach and red apple fruit, and as the notes suggest, a hint of white pepper. Excellent value and a probable re-order.

I liked the strap line on the back of the bottle too. ‘Honest-down to earth-good’ . I can only agree.

I have the good fortune to be able to visit Rasteau and the surrounding villages every year. Have yet to visit this Domaine as I get distracted by so many other caves. One of my favourites is Didier Charavin who has a good range of reasonably priced wines, possibly underselling themselves. I love Rasteau wines and would love it if the WS sourced more from this area. Have also enjoyed visits to the Soumade cave (on WS list) and Bressy Mason opposite Soumade, one of the few women vignerons in this area and who took over the estate at age 18.

@Hallsy I would like to do the same at some point - you are very lucky! I like Rhone wines generally and have been happy to experiment over the last decade by buying EP through the Society, based on the wine description alone. In this way I have come across delicious wines like this one, as well as Cayron Gigondas and more recently, Cote-Rotie.

In it’s youth, this wine was quite a beast, but has eventually mellowed into a super quality drink, still with bags of flavour and it remained quite a deep red, with only a little change at the rim. Looking forward to trying some of these wines still in Reserves…

and this…