01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek Drinking Thread [26 to 28 May 2020]

How do you rate the value? I tried a [looks up email] Brandnetel 2017, and thought it was delicious but very simple. Didn’t regret it, but also didn’t feel remotely inclined to explore further Thistle and Weed (especially given that the next bottle I saw was 20% more expensive).

1 Like

I also had the Brandnetel 2017, thought it was great, but foolishly took it to my mother-in-law for lunch. There were more people there than I realised and only had a small glass. As such, I can’t really say much in comparison about the complexity. Was the Brandnetel slightly more rich & buttery? Less defined acidity? Maybe. but it was drunk last summer.

That was £23 and the Duwweltjie £19. To me this weekend was better value, but my experience of the Brandnetel is tinged with regret from watching my in-laws glugging theirs without any consideration of what they were guzzling!

8 Likes

Nerobaronj 2011, Gulfi Inspired by Will’s note on the 2010 last week, i opened this. Gorgeous perfumed nose, tons of complexity. On the palate it is the complete article too, with some tannic structure disssolving most delightfully to make a rich wine with dark chocolate and spice, and a long finish. Absolutely delicious, and as one of Gulfi’s single-vineyard Nero d"Avolas from the very southern tip of Sicily, a big step up from the Nerojbleu. Rare to find a wine with such a sense of place, and yet so damn delicious. This really is one of the wine world’s great bargains - there is certainly nothing in any of the “classic” regions that comes even close to offering so much for twenty quid, and while an utterly different style if wine, it blows anything from Etna in this price bracket right out of the water. One of the best reds I’ve had in ages.

12 Likes

One of best Loire growers. I visited domaine last year on a Winegb trip. Fascinating tour. One real plus is that the owners have a very enlightened approach to seasonal workers they treat them as part of their family, educating them and getting them involved in all vineyard aspects.
The wines are lovely and i recommend them wholeheartedly.

4 Likes

Had a socially distanced catch up with a friend and he presented this:

What a delicious wine. So easy drinking - TWS notes of extremely satisfying and mouth filling are spot on. Loads of sweet fruit, so if that is not your thing, avoid.

16 Likes

As you can see by the level in the bottle cooking and prepping is thirsty work…

…er, not that it took more than 20 minutes !

Glazed Pacific Red Salmon with a bottle of J-P Brun’s Beaujolais l’Ancien 2018. Not one that requires a great deal of thought, just a wine that’s eminently neckable and that hits my sweet spot in spades. Red fruits in abundance, wild strawberries, raspberry, red cherry with a tannin free slippery texture that’s meeting no resistance from me right now. Simply delicious, I should have bought six !

30 minutes in the fridge before opening BTW.

15 Likes

I often find myself getting awfully thirsty in the kitchen, too, especially in this hot weather…

4 Likes

Thanks Inbar. I seem to have lost all track of time !

5 Likes

Ha ha! The community is certainly drinking, with all the Drinking Threads about!! :smile: :clinking_glasses:

5 Likes

A new local Lebanese restaurant opened up just as coronavirus hit, which was awful timing. Anyway, they’ve reopened for takeaway today so I picked up a few of these (never tried a Lebanese beer):

And I’m eyeing these up too:

16 Likes

I think most of us are losing the plot right now !

1 Like

I think I might have posted about the previous bottle of Clos des Papes 1997 (the neck label fell off during the house move!!)

The best things come to those who wait. Really quite light in colour, with age showing at the rim. Lovely soft sweet fruit, no tannic bite and a savoury soy note. In some ways more Burgundy than Rhône but a wine that makes me wish I’d bought a dozen rather than six. Long finish and I’d wager even the Chateauneuf deniers would take to this.

16 Likes

I appear to be on the vermouth!

This was picked up for me in Bilbao airport (as I was flying hand luggage only from Biarritz, but wanted some) last summer and we had the dregs this evening. A little stale, but still delicious bittersweet cola and herbs vermouth with a cherry aftertaste.

Also the bottle is incredibly pretty!

10 Likes

Ottolenghi Simple fishcakes with mango, lime and coriander, and a pinot blanc from Ecker Eckhof.

14 Likes

With pan-fried duck breast, beans and Jersey Royals came this. Whilst just an “average” vintage (according to TWS vintage chart) this was delicious. Whilst a little orange at the rim, the palate and finish were delicious. First bottle of 6 so more pleasure to come :smiley:

15 Likes

Oh we have ALL been there! One of the first wrong doings Mr. Leah did was give his mother a half bottle of Condrieu I left vacuumed in his fridge . Next time I was there and went looking for it “he didn’t really see the issue” until I told him the average cost ! He never did it again . His mother would drink cat piss!

6 Likes

“Overhyped”…how exactly, given that the Thymio Jeunes Vignes would unquestionably win the prize for best value cheapie red among the habitués of the Community?

As for “obscure”… think he must be talking about that Cabernet family :smile:

5 Likes

I nearly poured the wrong thing tonight ! Trump would’ve been proud of me :rofl::joy::see_no_evil:!

11 Likes

I can’t get enough of this tonight…delicious

7 Likes

I don’t often drink Chablis and I don’t often drink Beaujolais either.

Really enjoyed the William Fevre in a solid but unspectacular kind of way. Crisp citrus fruit. Lovely summer drinking.

The Lapierre Morgon is a new wine to me as I don’t usually buy Gamay. Cherry, overripe strawberry, cherry, cola, cherry. Light. Not sure I’ll buy again as it’s really not my style. Will drink tomorrow a bit colder. Sacrialage to some, I know!

9 Likes