01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek drinking thread [24-27 May 2021]

Start of my week off (holiday!!!)

Wild garlic pasta with lobster bisque sauce. Bollinger Grande Année 2002.

The wine is noticeably good :joy: Round, honeyed, but saline edge and peacocks tail finish.

31 Likes

You know how to live !

4 Likes

Cloudy Bay 2020

Had heard good things about the 2020 vintage and having not had Cloudy Bay in ages thought we’d give it a go

Nose is classic NZ Sauvignon blanc - really clear notes of pineapple, mango, lime, some cut grass. For me it always reminds me of Petit Filous!

The palate is perhaps where the vintage shows more clearly as this has a crisper bite than the nose typically suggests. Some fresh Granny Smith, a spritz of lime and a pretty tangy acidic finish. For me the acidity here is not the kind that keeps you going back for more (say with riesling) but rather a bracing zip across the palate.

For NZ SB this is nice stuff and has a lovely freshness to it it’s just not something I feel I need loads of at home.

Paired tonight with a simple meal of salmon steak, charred asparagus and new potatoes it worked reasonably well cutting through the richness of the salmon and butter on the veg.

17 Likes

Whilst I agree Cloudy Bay is a lovely wine, do you think it still carries enough credibility to cost perhaps 40% more than some other very decent SB’s from NZ?

3 Likes

No I don’t think it does really.

1 Like

I’m intrigued… can you elaborate?

1 Like

Like almost nothing for a count of five then the finish started growing and growing, getting more colourful with time. The finish may have been the most enjoyable bit.

6 Likes

Agree - undoubtedly a nice drop (though I’ve not personally had any from at least the past 5 vintages) but not only is it marked up due to its name but for me Marlborough in general is not where the SB action is these days. Give me Cape Point / Elgin/ Durbanville - or San Antonio - or dare I say it, Touraine please.

I now await being metaphorically burnt at the stake by fellow Chatterers…

4 Likes

Thought I would open a 2003 La Lagune yesterday. In the decanter for three hours. Some sediment in the neck of the bottle. A good opening taste but was rather tame overall. Not much in sign of development over the evening. Pleasant but not great. Glad I bought it EP and not at the retail price!

4 Likes

The Pataille Bourgogne rouge “Le Chapitre” is a younger brother of the Marsannay, about which I posted last week sometime. A similar fruit profile, and tertiary notes. Really top notch, and would certainly pass muster as a village wine. I must order some more…

23 Likes

To make way for the ‘Greek drop’, sadly Bourgogne and Sicily have lost their designated bin (although are yet to be reassigned a corner), so I thought I’d take the opportunity to check in on a seldom-seen Burgundy this evening…

Can anyone remind me of the best way to get through those stupid wax caps? ISTR the suggestion was just to plunge straight through it? (It normally ends up everywhere and still finding shavings of it for weeks after. Just why??)

17 Likes

Another long and exhausting working day is over, thankfully, and an Alpine Nebbiolo from Mamete Prevostini is poised to revive the spirits:

And what a splendid wine! :heart_eyes: It ticks pretty much all our boxes. Beautiful pale ruby in the glass, with a nose that sings of Alpine meadows… This may well be poetic licence gone mad – but it certainly has a gorgeous nose full of rose petals, red fruit (cranberries, wild strawberries) and a herby note which we couldn’t quite work out.

On the palate it explodes with ripe red fruit (as per nose – cranberries, pomegranate, wild strawberries), with a freshness and exuberance all of its own. There is also something of the cough mixture about it, mixed with sage and a floral back-note. Acidity is medium plus, but tannins much mellower than expected, though certainly present and a touch leathery in texture.

No oak, nothing to distract from the purity of the fruity and the floral… a re-purchase if there ever was one. Let’s hope the Calves’ liver dinner is half as satisfying.

Happy Tuesday! :slightly_smiling_face: :wine_glass:

27 Likes

Works every time! :+1:

7 Likes

About 30 seconds too late, wax shavings everywhere :joy:

4 Likes

Can I ask where you bought this from?

I love Piedmont, but I’m conscious of it’s drain on resources, and to be frank, I’ve not really come across that many Langhe Nebbiolo that I think are worth the money, but the search must continue!

2 Likes

Opened this tonight:

Still plenty of fruit but getting on a bit for wine that’s really designed to be drunk young. That said the tannins are fairly drying and it’s unlikely they would have been any softer when younger! It went better with food. I guess it’s a reasonable wine for £8.50 but not terribly exciting. I don’t think I’ll be in a rush to reorder.

16 Likes

Have you tried the wines of Luigi Einaudi? Top quality, hard to find. Evio Cogno is very good as well.

1 Like

Absolutely! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I was about to buy it from Alpine Wines when I was putting together an order, only to find that my lovely local merchant Butlers sell it too (Mr Butler got his stock from Alpine Wines) - so bought it from him, together with some other Alpine delights.

I’m definitely going to buy some more - it’s completely up our Strada.

4 Likes

@Tannatastic , would love to hear how this tastes. I’ve got six of the 2016. Good to know about the wax! How do you serve this, after breaking the seal? :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve avoided Luigi Einaudi, as he has a history of barrique use (I’m generally very sensitive to French oak when combined with Nebbiolo, and I just don’t think it compliments it at all).

As for Elvio Cogno - I have quite a few of his wines from a few vintages, and have been scared by the price-escalation over the last 5 or so years (Cascina Nuova has near doubled in price between 2011 and 2016 vintages, whilst Ravera has gone up over 50% in the same time-frame). Hence why I need to spread my wings, my love for Nebbiolo is a losing game :smiley:

5 Likes