01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread 21st-24th March 2022

Having only drank half a bottle of Manzanilla and one bottle of wine since Tuesday I’ll happily get the ball rolling this week.

This here tonight with an egg and bacon flan* and polenta chips…

…a Mittelrhein Weissburgunder 2019 from Toni Jost.

Lees-y notes dominate the nose, which I quite like, with ripe orchard fruits and a touch of spice in the background. Similar notes on tasting, the lees influence, along with fresh acidity to balance the mediumweight fruit, gives the wine a strong mineral feel which I really like, Fresh, vibrant and fruity it was a great match to the food and quite a ‘serious’ example of its type.

*the flan, described as a quiche but my late mum would have disowned me if I’d called it that, came from the shelf of sadness in the local supermarket. Must say, it was very nice though and not as burnt as it looks in the pic !

Although I might have to wait until tomorrow for a reply, what’s in your glass this week ?

18 Likes

Oh, thank you @Embee! Just wondering what to eat with my remaining half bottle of Vouvray when your post reminded me that I have a small salmon quiche in the fridge from the Saturday Market. Problem solved! Quiche with roasted carrots and courgettes.

3 Likes

Drinking the Chateau Charmail 2012 tonight.

Initial impression is ok. Resolved tannins but seems a little thin and lacking in fruit. But then again I have popped and poured, so perhaps it will come round later this evening or during the next few days. I have read some views from others on the forum that it took some time to come around so I will report back.

14 Likes

Homemade pasta (with added seaweed) and spicy tomato sauce. I went for an Albariño in case the seaweed lingered. It didn’t but still a decent Monday night combo.

19 Likes

Took a bottle of Scassabarile Marsigliana Nera Rosato, Santa Venere 2019 round to a meal with some friends last night.

My friends are not big wine drinkers so there was never going to be much discussion of the qualities of the wine and my attention was very much on the conversation rather than the wine. However, I was impressed by how good it was and how easy to drink. A fine wine for it’s modest price.

16 Likes

Another beautiful day today - the skylarks are singing their heart out in the fields next to our house, which is the Springiest sound I can think of :relieved:

From Skylark to pigeon - well, that’s what’s on the menu this evening - and to accompany, a tremendously enjoyable and delicious Pinot Noir:

‘Tesco Finest’ Central Otago Pinot Noir, 2020

We don’t usually shop in Tesco but last time we did I picked this bottle (and a few others) - and I shall be returning for some more. It’s made for Tesco by Villa Maria and for £13 I think offers very good value (now, how to define that…? :thinking:).

Medium ruby in the glass, the nose offers notes of hedgerow fruit, cherries, freshly-turned soil, a touch of spice and maybe a bit of a bonfire-like smokiness. On the palate it balances red fruit (bramble, cherries, cranberries), with more herbaceous/savoury notes, which is the sort of balance I like in a Pinot Noir. Lively acidity is balanced with quite earthy, mellow tannins, and the mouthfeel is smooth and velvety but not ‘soupy’ in any way.

By way of comparison, last Sunday, at a late lunch with friends, they served this Californian Pinot Noir (2018) with the first course. It was easy to enjoy - quaffable in fact - with ripe red and black berry fruit and cherries and a touch of smoke - but it really lacked a more savoury, umami dimension and so on balance felt one-dimensional. Priced virtually the same as the Tesco example - for me, the Central Otago one offers a much interesting drinking experience.

Are we really changing the clocks this weekend…? :alarm_clock: :partying_face:

19 Likes

Opened this white wine made at Musar which is a chardonnnay/Viognier/Vermentino blend. Made from ungrafted bush trained vines. It is their introductory level white at £14.95.
Quite an unusual complex fruit profile. Honeyed, but dry with a lively tangy acidity.
Just the ticket with our left over chicken

12 Likes

Homemade bolognese, this evening, so we had to have a cheeky Negroamaro from Puglia. Fruity and juicy, with just the right acidity to go with tomato based dishes. I’ve never been disappointed with Vallone’s wines.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/brindisi-rosso-vigna-flaminio-vallone-2018

15 Likes

It’s my birthday!

Have I been out being wined and dined as you’d expect? No.

Still-not-in-any-way-called-Mrs-Pig woke up this morning with a bit of a sore throat. I’m sure you can fill in the gaps between that and me being sat on the sofa with a deliveroo’d burger and a glass of something far too nice to be drinking on my own.

Stephane Ogier La Rosine Rouge 2018 (first of 3). Let’s be clear here. This is nothing like a Cote Rotie, it does not have the structure. It does not have the depth. It does not have the complexity.

It’s bloody good for the EP price though. It’s a great young Syrah. Very mineral with dark fruits on the nose and bags of pepper and acidity added to that. The tannins are pretty fine and a lot less than in previous vintages too (the 2016 wasn’t ready after several hours decant, this just sat in a glass from when I’d decided to have a burger to when the delivery arrived). The last vintage I had (the just mentioned 2016) was much improved the next day, so I am interested to see what this is like over the next few days. (The white is better though!).

32 Likes

Hope you get a suitable chance to celebrate before too long! Happy birthday!

2 Likes

Happy birthday, Patrick! :tada::balloon:

Shame you couldn’t paint the town red! Hope you make up for it at a later date. Great wine, though! :+1::blush:

3 Likes

Happy birthday - and commiserations to your partner on the unfortunate COVID-ing. Hope she doesn’t suffer too badly and you avoid it and can celebrate soon. A lovely wine to enjoy in the meantime though!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone.

Glass number two has become more resolved with the generic “dark fruits” becoming lovely damson, plum and mulberry and the spicy being more than just pepper. Nom.

7 Likes

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Happy Birthday :crossed_fingers:for a celebration soon :tada::tada::partying_face:

1 Like

Many happy returns here too Patrick, a burger and La Rosine, nice one ! :yum:

And my very best wishes to your partner.

1 Like

Penblwydd Hapus! Hope the covud blue peter can be lowered soon

1 Like

@strawpig happy birthday!

1 Like

Happy Birthday!

1 Like

So, here we are in Ica region, Peru. Escaped the mad house of Lima in our hired Rav-4 without lasting scars, and 4 hours drive south on the Pan-American Route 1 we once again land at Vinas Queirolo 2 years on from where we left off Covid-bombed. And what pleasure to find a complimentary bottle of their house Malbec in our room, ideal to accompany a saved Caesar salad from the KLM flight here yesterday (they feed you too much on airlines) and a Peruvian cheese platter from the bar downstairs, Happy days.

Visit to Tacama tomorrow

mi3UVfYxfBo1pLvVSjyxY7vt.jpeg)

25 Likes